• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Elvins New Street Birmingham 1781

headmaster0_2

proper brummie kid
I am researching Bretby Hall, South Derbyshire. This famed Hall & gardens which rivalled Versailles was demolished in 1780/81. All the Building Materials of Bratby Hall [sic] were listed for sale with 'further particulars apply to Thomas Elvins, New-street, Birmingham' (Derby Mercury 4th May 1781) Can anyone enlighten me as to the said Thomas Elvins or where I might their archive?

Is this the same firm in later times?

How interesting! A joiner & metalworker! I wonder why he would have been chosen to dispose of the 'building materials of Bratby Hall and Chapel, near Burton upon Trent, consisting of a large Catton Stone [Ketton Stone] Portico'? More intrigue. Thank you once again.

Thomas Elvins is listed as an apprentice carpenter on 1753 indenture list.
By 1768 he is lsted as the master and has an apprentice. Also has apprentices listed in 1791 and 1797. Sometimes it says joiner and sometimes carpenter.

This is fascinating as I am looking at records I have never seen. In 1800 on Warwickshire land tax records. There is an entry across the double page spread which suggests he paid £ditto (and the entry several lines above is a 2 so I assume £2 3s and 3d and the payee was Mander of London. It does say Elvin (no "s") but I think it is the same person.
1631620100527.png

How interesting! The plot thickens! The perfect inquiry on this dreadful day! I wonder what else may come to light? I am pleased your are enjoying this excursion))) Thank you again.

Yes, this was the announcement but it took until 1812-15 for the 'new' hall to be constructed and then it was never finished!

If the 5th Earl of Chesterfield demolished and rebuilt the Hall in 1812 (Wikipedia) then as much building material was disposed of around 1780 (including 30-40 tons of lead pipe) then it did take some time to get going !

Passed the present Bretby Hall in 2007…

There is a transcript only on Ancestry
1631624419696.png
This makes me think the apprentice Thomas Elvins in 1753 may have been a son of the above. He is hardly likely to be an apprentice and have a business.

Back