• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Eaves Screws & Rivets Firm

I

incachick9560

Does anybody know anything about a firm called 'Thomas Eaves' which was located in Holloway Head? I'm not sure of the exact years of business, but my grandfather, Thomas Jones was Managing Director and had contracts with the Royal Navy during the 2nd World War.

I understand he sold out to Guest, Keen & Nettlefield @ some stage.

ericB

Thomas Eaves was inherited by Leslie Eaves in 1928 after his father died late in 1927. Leslie became 21 yrs early 1928. On doing so he invited Gordon Bill to become Works Manager. He had been one of the first two new apprentices under the guidance of Mr Booth the new apprentice supervisor at GKN Smethwick. Having been trained by GKN he was well qualified. to do the job. Mr Eaves died in 1966 at the age of 59 yrs. His wife took control of the company and was assisted by G Bill in the running of the company. The company was sold circa 1975 , I do not know who purchased the company but I do not think it was GKN but could be by a subsidiary. I do not know what position Tommy Jones held but it could well of been in charge of sales. I hope this clears up your inquiry.

Radiorails

master brummie
Eric, your reply to the original poster probably will not be seen by them. They posted over eleven years ago and have not been here since. That's is why they are listed as a guest. However, you have awakened the thread, so someone else may be interested in what you wrote.

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
In the recent posts on Bradford Street, there is a reference to a Thomas Eaves, would they be connected?

Bob

Office Jnr

Brummie babby
Hi Eric, I worked in the buying department @ MEM Reddings Lane. Started 1972-1982 & had alot of happy memories of Thomas Eaves. I remember Ken Eagles sales director & I think Bob Holloway not sure. Had a tour of the factory @ Holloway Head remember the belts running the old machinery. They were a smashing company to deal with. I saw Ken Eagles some ten years ago aged possilbly 80plus. He had just packed up playing squash. Thanks for bringing back a name from the past.

ericB

Hi Office Jnr. The names you mentioned do not mean anything to me but my father did not talk much about the people working there but on occasions he would tell of odd things happening such as when going round the machine shop he came to an automatic making machine screws where the part was transferred to a machine slotter (screw driver slot). This transfer was done by a woman seated between the two machines. He realised she was asleep and automatically transferring the part in unison with the machine. He stopped the machine and woke her up.

Office Jnr

Brummie babby
Eric , a name has come back too me Don Hammond. He I believe worked @ T Eaves for a number of years & was I think either General Manager or Director.