• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Eaves Screws & Rivets Firm

I

incachick9560

Does anybody know anything about a firm called 'Thomas Eaves' which was located in Holloway Head? I'm not sure of the exact years of business, but my grandfather, Thomas Jones was Managing Director and had contracts with the Royal Navy during the 2nd World War.

I understand he sold out to Guest, Keen & Nettlefield @ some stage.

Thomas Eaves was inherited by Leslie Eaves in 1928 after his father died late in 1927. Leslie became 21 yrs early 1928. On doing so he invited Gordon Bill to become Works Manager. He had been one of the first two new apprentices under the guidance of Mr Booth the new apprentice supervisor at GKN Smethwick. Having been trained by GKN he was well qualified. to do the job. Mr Eaves died in 1966 at the age of 59 yrs. His wife took control of the company and was assisted by G Bill in the running of the company. The company was sold circa 1975 , I do not know who purchased the company but I do not think it was GKN but could be by a subsidiary. I do not know what position Tommy Jones held but it could well of been in charge of sales. I hope this clears up your inquiry.

In the recent posts on Bradford Street, there is a reference to a Thomas Eaves, would they be connected?

Bob

Hi Eric, I worked in the buying department @ MEM Reddings Lane. Started 1972-1982 & had alot of happy memories of Thomas Eaves. I remember Ken Eagles sales director & I think Bob Holloway not sure. Had a tour of the factory @ Holloway Head remember the belts running the old machinery. They were a smashing company to deal with. I saw Ken Eagles some ten years ago aged possilbly 80plus. He had just packed up playing squash. Thanks for bringing back a name from the past.

Hi Office Jnr. The names you mentioned do not mean anything to me but my father did not talk much about the people working there but on occasions he would tell of odd things happening such as when going round the machine shop he came to an automatic making machine screws where the part was transferred to a machine slotter (screw driver slot). This transfer was done by a woman seated between the two machines. He realised she was asleep and automatically transferring the part in unison with the machine. He stopped the machine and woke her up.

Eric , a name has come back too me Don Hammond. He I believe worked @ T Eaves for a number of years & was I think either General Manager or Director.

I don’t know what made me return to this site after so long, probably far too much time on my hands being stuck in Welsh lockdown and ending up Googling down rabbit holes , but it was also my dear Mum’s 87th birthday yesterday - she being Thomas Jones’ daughter. Thank you to all of you for taking the time to provide some history and I shall check back thro’ the documents that showed my grandfather as MD of Thomas Eaves and Mum has always spoken of Leslie Eaves as Grandpa’s business partner and I have seen photos of them together at functions somewhere. I believe Thomas Jones was also a member of the Masonic lodge.

That place was just up the road from where I worked in Bow street which turned into Exeter street onto Holloway head. I spent a month at T.Eaves when we refitted and decorated the offices on the upper floor around 1964/5. I remember the staff on the ground floor packing/ dispatch, all wearing brown cowgown's The whole atmosphere of the place was happy with much larking about. I remember one young chap in the dispatch area with long hair and a beard and someone had written Charles Manson on the back of his cowgown.
The firm I worked for G.W.Stokes was exactly the same for larking about but those days are long gone now.

My Dad Patrick Baker worked here, he and someone else used to go on a Thursday I think it was to the bank to collect the wages. One day they collected the wages but they never got them back to the factory, the car was stopped and my dad and driver had a sawed-off shot gun in their faces, the wages were then stolen. 10,000 pounds. The thieves were caught as when one leant over my dad to reach for the wages his balaclava fell forward and my dad recognised him in a line up

Thomas Eaves was inherited by Leslie Eaves in 1928 after his father died late in 1927. Leslie became 21 yrs early 1928. On doing so he invited Gordon Bill to become Works Manager. He had been one of the first two new apprentices under the guidance of Mr Booth the new apprentice supervisor at GKN Smethwick. Having been trained by GKN he was well qualified. to do the job. Mr Eaves died in 1966 at the age of 59 yrs. His wife took control of the company and was assisted by G Bill in the running of the company. The company was sold circa 1975 , I do not know who purchased the company but I do not think it was GKN but could be by a subsidiary. I do not know what position Tommy Jones held but it could well of been in charge of sales. I hope this clears up your inquiry.
Finding this thread has been incredibly useful in helping my husband trace his family history. His great-great-granddad George Eaves was employed in the factory by his uncle/stepfather Thomas Eaves. Stories of the factory and where the money came from to build it have been passed down through the Eaves generations. Until now, we had always believed the factory was called Eaves & Son and had never managed to find evidence of the factory. This thread has managed to piece the puzzle together . It would be amazing to find a photograph of the factory showing the family name if anyone happens to have one?

A 1935 aerial view showing Exeter Street and Exeter Passage, Holloway Head.

Attachments

• exeter-passage.jpg
    exeter-passage.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Hi everyone. This is the first time I have been on this forum and sat here with my 89 year old mum who really enjoyed hearing your stories about Thomas Eaves factory. My mum's mum (so my grandmother) was Lily Eaves, cousin of Leslie Eaves...I understand that she worked for the company...manager in the warehouse we believe.. Mum remembers visiting the factory when was about 11 and recalls the little square windows (typical of factories from that age)but not much else as a factory isn't that interesting when you are a little girl! However she would love to hear more stories now ....and if anyone has any photos they would be willing to share then that would be amazing! Thanks all!

Hi everyone. This is the first time I have been on this forum and sat here with my 89 year old mum who really enjoyed hearing your stories about Thomas Eaves factory. My mum's mum (so my grandmother) was Lily Eaves, cousin of Leslie Eaves...I understand that she worked for the company...manager in the warehouse we believe.. Mum remembers visiting the factory when was about 11 and recalls the little square windows (typical of factories from that age)but not much else as a factory isn't that interesting when you are a little girl! However she would love to hear more stories now ....and if anyone has any photos they would be willing to share then that would be amazing! Thanks all!
Hi, lovely to hear from another Eaves!

I'm not sure if you've read my comment further up the thread. I have been studying the Eaves family tree for the past year (on behalf of my husband's family).
Can I ask if your grandmother was Lily Gladys born 1901 to Howard and Blanche? That's the only Lily we currently have in the Eaves tree.

We don't have any photos of the factory unfortunately, but we do have a photo of Thomas Eaves and his wife Sarah which I've attached incase it's of any interest to your mum. ☺️

Regards,
Catherine.

P.s. feel free to start a new conversation with me, as I appreciate not everyone on this thread may be interested in the Eaves family tree

Attachments

• IMG-20221006-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20221006-WA0002.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

I'm not sure if you've read my comment further up the thread. I have been studying the Eaves family tree for the past year (on behalf of my husband's family).
Can I ask if your grandmother was Lily Gladys born 1901 to Howard and Blanche? That's the only Lily we currently have in the Eaves tree.

We don't have any photos of the factory unfortunately, but we do have a photo of Thomas Eaves and his wife Sarah which I've attached incase it's of any interest to your mum. ☺️

Regards,
Catherine.

P.s. feel free to start a new conversation with me, as I appreciate not everyone on this thread may be interested in the Eaves family tree
Great story Catherine! There are a few members on the Forum who are highly skilled at cleaning up old photos, if you are interested you might ask. You might be vey surprised!

Photo here taken in 1965 of Exeter Passage, also details from 1966-67 Kelly's
Also a detailed map (very early any guesses when drawn) drawing of Holloway Head, Exeter Passage, unfortunately cannot make larger without losing clarity. I have marked with red arrows Eaves Factory with Red arrows

eaves1965-6.jpgmaps_145_b_10_(3)_f024r_1[SVC2]HOLLOWAY HEAD.jpg

Regards,
Catherine.

I have asked to see if photo can be improved

Thanks so much Catherine and Rob T for your replies and photos. Mum will be thrilled! Will reply separately to you Catherine as get your point! What a wonderful forum this is!

Regards,
Catherine.

Hi Catherine. Thanks so much again for that wonderful photograph of Thomas and Sarah...my mum will be over the moon! Since I was child she has talked about the factory and it's such a shame it's been knocked down. My nan is indeed Lily Gladys ...my mum was given Blanche as her middle name, after her grandmother. If we can help in anyway with Eaves family tree then we be delighted to do so. So wonderful to hear from another Eaves!! If you have any questions for mum about the Eaves family then she will help as much as she can.

Hi Catherine. Thanks so much again for that wonderful photograph of Thomas and Sarah...my mum will be over the moon! Since I was child she has talked about the factory and it's such a shame it's been knocked down. My nan is indeed Lily Gladys ...my mum was given Blanche as her middle name, after her grandmother. If we can help in anyway with Eaves family tree then we be delighted to do so. So wonderful to hear from another Eaves!! If you have any questions for mum about the Eaves family then she will help as much as she can.
Meant to say, my name is Lisa !

Oh fabulous, you are the second descendant of Howard Eaves that we've managed to hear from! I'd love to chat to you privately but I'm not sure if that's possible in this forum? Can anyone advise please? Are we allowed to share email addresses etc? Thanks

Back