• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Coffee Shop

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Every-body
I,m Not Doing Any Think On The Coffee Shop Theme,
It Is More A Less A Question And I Think It May Be A Question
That Postie Cold Possible Answer For Me Or John Houghton
Or May Be Any-one Elsewhom May Have There Finger On The Button
But What I Want To Know Is Can Some-one Tell Me What Was The Number Of The Property On Aston Rd North By Aston Cross
The Coffee Shop Called Thomas,s Coffee Rooms Or House Please
I Think It Was Postie Whom Showed Me The Picture A Very Long Time Ago ,thats Why I Thought Postie Could Be The Most Likely One To
Answer It For Me As This Is Apart Of My Researching And A Key
Player To The Rest Of My Research Many Thanks
Have A Nice Day Every-body Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;;

thomas coffee shop

Hi John
I THINK IT WAS AROUND 1923 -25 ERA
I REMEMBER POSTIE PUTTING THE PIC ON THE THREAD ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO
WHEN I FIRST CAME ON
MANY THANKS ASTONIAN , ; IT WAS THOMAS JELF COFFEE HOUSE ]
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;

thomas's

The address in Kelly's 1921 is 51 Aston Road "not north" and the name is Godfrey Thomas

on the corner of Mill Street and Aston road

Thomas Coffee House

Many Thanks For Your Time
And For Your Info;; John,
Have A Nice Day Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;

Astonian

Is this the cafe, I'm afraid its a very poor photo. I have it noted down as Aston St North and as you can see it is next door to 166. The photo looks to be around the 50 to 60's. I hope this is of some help to you.

Lost photo replaced

Aston Aston Rd 1951.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thomas's

Florence Mabel B Thomas was the name of the owner but not till after 1934 and the address of 166 is Aston road checked in all Kelly's as this address Aston road north they numbers did not go as high as 166

John,

I noted about the numbers myself when I checked in Kelly's. I am unable to remember quite where the photo came from, but I always note where it supposed to be. I can only assume that the original photographer got the address wrong when it was taken.

I think if they were strangers to the area it was quite a common mistake to make as I have come across this type of thing before. Quite likely as you say there is more chance of it being Aston Rd.

pmc1947

Thomas' Coffee Shop

Just a thought as these shops are on the bend could the address be 166 MILLER Street, before joining Aston Road.

thomas's

Sylvia the shops are not on a bend and it is Aston Road below text from Kelly's
here is Aston Brook st
....here is Miller st ....
163 Lloyds BankLim.(branch)
(Edgar Scott, mngr)
165 Shaw John, mould maker
166 Bricknell Mrs. Annie,
secondhand furniture
dlr
167 Thomas Mrs. Florence
Mabel B. dining rms
168 Stinton Alfd. hardware
dlr
169 Myers T. & Sons,gas_fittrs
170 Johnson Miss Marjorie,
ladies' hairdrssr
171 Field Harry, watch repr
172 Baker Wm. shopkpr
173 Baker A. W. sign mfr
174 Eden Geo. tailor
175 English Leather Boot &
Shoe Repairing Co. Ltd.
boot repairers
:76 Benton Harry V.undertkr
here is Elim pi
177 Aston Auto Motors,motor

Last edited:
thomas's

never mind Sylvia 166 Miller street was a pub called the Millers Arms keep at it John

thomas's

You can see what we have on the index page of the forum plus I have 10 books in my collection Tony @ Midland Data copies all my books and puts them on to disc he then adds to is collection I have two more for him to copy when he as the time
hot news you soon will be able to look at a few years of the Birmingham electoral rolls as Tony is well into finishing them
this will be at Birmingham City Centre Library

Back