• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Cecil Rogers

Ron Rogers

master brummie
Not sure if this is the right place for this question however here goes..., In a letter dated 7 January 1937 my grand father T.C Rogers states that he was an ex serviceman having served in France during WW1. I have put a number of posts trying to find out about his war service to no avail ,other than a service record (1916) showing he was discharged as having understated his age on enlistment.
Further in the letter he (Thomas) states that he is in receipt of a pension from the British Government which would continue until the children reached 14 years of age.

Question.. how could i find out why the pension was paid and was it in relation to Thomas's war service?

Any help would be appreciated

Ron Rogers

He is certainly on the WW1 Pensions list but it must have been very small having served under under 6 months.
He enlisted on 19th Oct 1915 saying he was born in September 1897 when he was in fact born 1899. he was posted on 23rd Oct and 3rd April 1916 discharged
'as to having made a misstatement as to age on enlistment.
Next of kin Rosina Rogers 143 Waverley road,Sparkhill, Birmingham.

Once he reached the age of 18 he might have been called up and served. There is a medal index card for a Pte Thomas Cecil Rogers 53597 Gloucestershire Regiment

Hi Alberta, I have this info already but as you said he only had six moths service none with overseas service

Regards

Ron

Thomas's short period of service until being discharged when they found out he had given false details would not have led to payment of a pension.

He certainly became eligible for conscription under the 1916 Military Service Act. I believe Terry is likely to be right in that he became Pte 53597 of the Gloucestershire Regiment. He served in France with that regiment's 18th (Service) Battalion and his number hints at a soldier aged 18-19 in 1918.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info, I checked the Gloucestershire Regiment,and they have a Thomas C Rogers listed however there is an extra initial "R"
that is Rogers T C R.
Not to worry I will give them a try (at a Cost of $70.00) for his service details

Regards

Ron

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that ,a question, do they hold the same service records as "Ancestry Military records ie "The Burnt Records" or do they have access to other service records??
I also believe my Grandfather was wounded GWS or Gassed while he was in France. Could any one have access to hospital records? but thinking about I would have to know which one he (Thomas) may have been admitted to and when .

Regards

Ron

The pension records held by WFA are not available online or anywhere else. They were about to be thrown out by the Ministry of Defence a couple of years ago, and WFA saved them by agreeing to take them into storage. They are thinking about digitising them but they are complex documents and not easy to do. They are offering a manual look-up service. The records are those of military pensions awarded during the Great War. This form of record is, outside the man's own service record, one of the very few places where you can tie together his name, address, age and military details. Got to be worth a try in Thomas's case.

UK hospital admission records have almost all been junked.

There are some admission records for base hospitals and casualty clearing stations in France but there are only a very small sample of what originally existed. They are not searchable by name. These records are held in the MH106 collection at the National Archives.

Again thanks Chris,
As you say worth a try..After my Grandfathers death in 1943 my father had a lot of his stuff unfortunately it went down with the HMAS Nestor in the Mediterranean Sea 1942

Regards

Ron

Back