• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Causer

JKC

Deleted Upon Request
Thomas Causer born 1891 killed 26th September 1916, I must thank my cousin John Causer for the photograph.....

Name: CAUSER, THOMAS
Initials: T
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)
Unit Text: 9th Bn.
Date of Death: 26/09/1916
Service No: 20366
Additional information: Son of Thomas and Rose Causer, of 15, Templefield St., Small Heath, Birmingham.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 C 10 D and 11 A.
Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

John, Thomas Causer 9th (Service ) Battalion 33rd Brigade  was killed on the 26th September 1916
Battle of Thiepval Ridge  26th - 30th Sept.1916
attacking the Joseph, Schwaben, Zollern and  trenches at 12.35p.m. the first trench was taken............. by 12.48.pm the second was taken by "B" & "C" companies.... by 1.45 pm and the third by 2.30pm       
........600 casualties in the Brigade half of those were the Foresters.........Casualties for the Foresters for September 492
(Trenches roughly 500 yards apart)

Cromwell, Thank you very much for that information.....I did have it some time ago, but lost it when my old system packed up..so its nice to have it again and with the map......As far as I am aware his body was never found....he was my great uncle on my mothers side...

As a child in the late 50s early 60s I would get bored watching TV programmes like "Time to Remember" on a Sunday afternoon....I could not understand why people wanted to watch them.....there were no cowboys and Indians in them, ......also I rather watch John Wayne win the second world war on his own time and time again.......and even up to the last few years my interest in WW1 was on a back burner....until I was searching my Causer tree and came across Thomas, I knew very little of my mothers family, (I never lived with my mother-long story) so I never got told anything.....as I said I came across Thomas by researching my family tree, I knew that my Causers lived in Templefield Street, but not the number...I found out the house number by visiting the main libray in Brum, yes he was a family member, my own mother died some years ago so I had to ask her sister about Thomas....she told me that they had a uncle who was killed in WW1, but did'nt know his name or anything else.......so in otherwords he was forgotton by my side of the family.....But not now......I have taken more interest in WW1, finding out that my grandfather suffered with shell shock for many years....My wifes grandfather died in the early 1930s due to being gassed...
my aunt through marriage had a uncle Herbert Edwin Lewis killed at the age of 16/17......in the middle east 1916.....I do not know a family who did not suffer a death to one of their son's, in some cases all the son's plus fathers as well..........My few words on this matter...way back in the early days of the aston web site and forum,I started to research all the men and boys from Aston who lost their lives in WW1, I thought it would only take me a few months, 5 years later I just finish....at times while searching through record after record I was almost in tears when I read about brothers of all ages being killed on the same day, or a few days apart...in some cases all the males in a family gone...boys as young as 14....men in their 60s........I wish I could have named everyone of them, but I know I haven't....I have mistakes by missing some out, others where there is no data just a name, and the ones where the families refused to add the name of their loved ones to the roll call....
Its very easy to have opinions after the event.........of what was right and what was wrong.....?

Jim......Alfred Causer the man who own the cafe was Thomas older brother.....I haven't seen that picture before...Ta

One of the men on this photo is my great uncle Thomas Causer...I am not sure which one....but I do think he is the nearest to camera on the left....I have always thought that this photo was probably taken in France, I now think it was taken on Cannock Chase.....the Sherwood Foresters were based there along with many other regiments....what amazes me that I might have walked in his foot steps while walking on the chase, another fact which links Thomas with the Astonbrook web site is the link to Carl Chinns magazine....on the front cover is a photo of Alfred Causer...Thomas's elder brother plus in the magazine itself, Rod talks to Carl about the Aston website and how he meet me through the virtualbrum web site.........and because I purchased the magazine I found that I had some more cousins I knew nothing of....John and Jennifer Causer......its a small world......

Is this the cafe that has been mentioned on this thread a couple of times? It's Causers cafe on Watery Lane.

Attachments

• Small Heath Watery Lane Causers Cafe.jpg
    Small Heath Watery Lane Causers Cafe.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 26
Hello all, i see a lot of discussion regarding the Causer Family here. My Great Great grandfather, Daniel Causer, was the founder of the Brazilian branch of the Hopkins, causer and Hopkins company.
He was father of Charles Causer, Father of Malcolm Causer(world war II hero) and father of Harold Causer, my father.

I was born in the Causer Brazilian home city, Niterói in the state of Rio de Janeiro, and I currently live in Toronto, Canada. I would love to chat, and know if anyone know of any other living relatives still in Birmingham, or across the world.

cheers.

Hello all, i see a lot of discussion regarding the Causer Family here. My Great Great grandfather, Daniel Causer, was the founder of the Brazilian branch of the Hopkins, causer and Hopkins company.
He was father of Charles Causer, Father of Malcolm Causer(world war II hero) and father of Harold Causer, my father.

I was born in the Causer Brazilian home city, Niterói in the state of Rio de Janeiro, and I currently live in Toronto, Canada. I would love to chat, and know if anyone know of any other living relatives still in Birmingham, or across the world.

cheers.
Hello i have just looked into our family history and have recently found the documents explaining about the Brazilian branch of Hopkins Causer and Hopkins. This has filled in the missing bits for me and is really interesting. I am in UK, but wondered how they lived in such a smart house in Birmingham. We have photos of them outside this house.
At this moment i am looking at a photo of Charles Causer, your great grandfather? with two children Beatrice and Daniel ?? Does that make sense to you?
We are descended from Charles Causers sister Alice P. Causer who married Henry T Sayer. So we are Sayer family. My son is named Daniel Causer Sayer.
There are so many coincidences in this. I now live in Wales, UK, but my children have grown up with us living in Hereford which is where Sara Vaughan was born and near where Daniel Causer was born in Worcester and they are buried in the cemetary there.
And my daughter Bethan Sayer is now living in Halifax, Nova Scotia , Canada and her best friend lives just outside Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!!

Would be good to hear more of what you know??

Back