• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Archer Susanna Archer grave or memorial Info

D Hubrecht

proper brummie kid
Can anyone find a grave or memorial for Thomas Archer, gun maker baptised St Phillips 1748 or his wife Susanna Guest, who lived, I believe in the Aston area of Birmingham . Does anyone know if it was usual to be buried in the area in which you lived or whether some folk could ask to be buried where their families hailed from?

Unfortunately I think you'd have to be very lucky to find an actual grave for someone (not rich or famous) from that far back.

I don't think there was any reason why you couldn't be buried where you came from but it was probably only the privileged or wealthy that did it. It can't have been cheap to transport a dead body any distance.

My grandparent died, 1926 aged 39 1932 aged 53 and my uncle 1909 aged 18 months all buried in Witton Cemetery in paupers graves. With the help of staff at Witton Cemetery I know resting place.
It did take an bit of effort I also got death certificates from Birmingham.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

On Ancestry there is a burial in 1815 at St Nicholas in Kings Norton for a Thomas Archer.

His address in the burial register is given as Perry Barr, aged 67 years born c1748.

William.

My grandparent died, 1926 aged 39 1932 aged 53 and my uncle 1909 aged 18 months all buried in Witton Cemetery in paupers graves. With the help of staff at Witton Cemetery I know resting place.
It did take an bit of effort I also got death certificates from Birmingham.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️
Thankyou Nick for sharing the above information. I know I am being very hopeful to find evidence of a grave back in the late1700/1800 but one never knows. , probably burial records will be the best I can get .

Further to my previous post (4) - I have also found a burial on Ancestry for Susannah Archer - 1811 (August 16th) at St Nicholas Church, Kings Norton. No further details are given re age or address.

William.

D Hubrecht, if you think the grave may be at Witton cemetery, in normal times you will find staff in office are most helpful and have a lot of knowledge.
At the moment you will need to phone the office first 0121 356 4363, 08.30-16.30hrs.
I have two maps that differ slightly which when we get through Covid I want to vist office at Witton in the hope that they can explain the slight difference which I'm sure they will.

Hope you find the answer to your question, if you are doing family research you will find any answers will give you another question.

Best of luck

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Last edited:
Back