• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Archer gunsmith

D Hubrecht

proper brummie kid
Can you help me find the name of the father of Thomas Archer Gunsmith of 14 Lichfield rd and any information about this Thomas and his family in particular . Or sign post me tonothers who might be able to help . I am trying to find an exact death date and burial for Thomas himself And any further information about his family I believe they come from Moreton in th3 Marsh /Bourton on the hill in Shropshire . I know he married Susanna Guest in 9 April 1771 in st Martins church Birmingham . I believe he may have lived in Perry Barr / Aston area of Birmingham and was born around 1748/50 and may have been tried and acquitted for Larceny in 1815 ( although this may be another Thomas Archer as it was note did he was from Sutton Coldfield )

Can you help me find the name of the father of Thomas Archer Gunsmith of 14 Lichfield rd and any information about this Thomas and his family in particular . Or sign post me tonothers who might be able to help . I am trying to find an exact death date and burial for Thomas himself And any further information about his family I believe they come from Moreton in th3 Marsh /Bourton on the hill in Shropshire . I know he married Susanna Guest in 9 April 1771 in st Martins church Birmingham . I believe he may have lived in Perry Barr / Aston area of Birmingham and was born around 1748/50 and may have been tried and acquitted for Larceny in 1815 ( although this may be another Thomas Archer as it was note did he was from Sutton Coldfield )
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how much information you have but there was a Thomas Archer (son of Thomas Archer christened in November 1948 @ st. Phillips (Birmingham). There is a Thomas (son of William Archer) baptised 1/11/1721 @ St. Martin's B'ham who could be the grandfather.

Attachments

• Tho-Archer-christening.jpg
    Tho-Archer-christening.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
D Hubrecht said:
Can anyone help me find more information about Thomas Archer Gunsmith possibly of of 14 Lichfield rd ( he may also have worked at 77 Lichfield rd ) . and any information about his father who I believe was also a Thomas ,possibly baptised in St Martins in 1721 . I also trying to any death /burial dates for all of these Archers. ( which may be in the Birmingham area). I am I terested to see if there is a link back to a Tho as Archar /Archard . Who lived and worked as a blacksmith in Moreton in the Marsh and Bourton on the hill in Shropshire . I know the first Thomas Archer mentioned above married Susanna Guest in 9 April 1771 in st Martins church Birmingham . And marriage certificate states profession as Gunmaker. I believe he may have lived in Perry Barr / Aston area of Birmingham and was born around 1748/50 and may have been tried and acquitted for Larceny in 1815 ( although this may be another Thomas Archer as it was noted as living in Sutton Coldfield )

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how much information you have but there was a Thomas Archer (son of Thomas Archer christened in November 1948 @ st. Phillips (Birmingham). There is a Thomas (son of William Archer) baptised 1/11/1721 @ St. Martin's B'ham who could be the grandfather.
Thankyou for the welcome and so much for the information above . I am very keen to find out as much as I can about both these Thomas’s who I believe were gunmakers in Birmingham. I have found references in some B’ham Trade directories to possible shops /factories in the Lichfield Rd from 1771 to at least 1777 . I am wondering if there is a direct link to the family of a Thomas Achar or Archard, from Moreton in the Marsh who was a blacksmith and whose elder sonThomas became a well known gunmaker . I am wondering if there is any way to find the marriage records in St Martins for William and his wife, (and mother of the Thomas who was baptised there in 1721) and also any records of marriage or death for the William Archer, who you mention was noted as the father . I understand that in the 1600 ‘ Archer was often recorded as either Archar or Archard as it was spoken ,and later became Archer. Any further information or references to local sources most gratefully received . Have I posted to the best place?

Moreton in Marsh and Bourton on the Hill are in the Cotswolds, Gloucestershire.
hi and hanks for the reply .I realise that Moreton in the. Rash and Bourton on the Hill are in Glocestershire , but I am trying to establish whether the Thomas Archer mentioned above is linked to a Thomas Achar , Blacksmith and gunsmith whose des endents came from there

I keen to try and discover whether Thomas Archer gunsmith bapt 1748 in St Phillips Birmingham and his father poss also Thomas baptised Birmingham st Martins 1721 are possibly be descendants from Thomas Achar/ Archard blacksmith Bapt 1598 and his son Thomas gun maker bapt 1643 family who lived in Moreton in the Marsh and Bourton on the hill ? Any info that helps with this would be fantastic . Many thanks anyway for your earlier reply

Thankyou for helping with a few steps forward .

Back