• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas and Agnes McDonough

AaronMcDonough

Hi

Can anyone give me some information regarding my family member Thomas McDonough who is thought to be the original Peaky Blinder, he was married to Agnes McDonough and they lived in Springfield Street

Anything is much appreciated

Aaron McDonough

Thomas married Agnes Bowron in Birmingham June quarter 1909.

In 1911 Agnes is living at 80 Arthur Street, Small heath. She is listed as being married but her husband, Thomas is not showing. She has given birth to three children, one died. However only Thomas, her son of 1 year of age is living with her.

her name is listed as McDonugh

Aaron,

The 1891 Census of 12 back of 91 Highgate Road shows:-

Sarah McDonagh, Wife, Married, 45, No occupation & husband elsewhere, Born in Tamworth
Thomas McDonagh, Son, Single, 15, Nail caster, Born in Birmingham
Edward McDonagh, Son, Single, 11, Scholar, Born in Birmingham
Annie McDonagh, Dau, Single, 8, Scholar, Born in Birmingham
John McDonagh, Son, Single, 6, Scholar, Born in Birmingham
Joseph McDonagh, Son, Single, 2, Scholar, Born in Birmingham

I can't see an obvious marriage anywhere in England around the time of Thomas' birth or 10 years before.

Maurice :cool:

And that's where we hit a problem because the only child's birth that is spot on is that of Annie:-
3rd Qtr 1883 Annie McDonagh (mother's maiden name MULVIHILL), Aston Reg Dist, Vol 6d Page 248

All the other children are nowhere near, McDONALD or McDONNELL, and with various mother's maiden names. Neither is there a marriage or birth of Sarah MULVIHILL in England or Wales in the whole of the 19th century and certainly not in Tamworth. I'm just wondering if Thomas' mother was Irish or Scottish and they married there.

Thanks, Janice. Actually McDONAGH is relatively rare compared with those other variants and 1871 would be too old unless his father has the same name.

I think both of Thomas' parents hailed from Ireland. If I have the right person on the 1861 census.
I might need to clarify as they are all called Thomas.
Thomas from post #1 listed with Sarah as mother could have father also Thomas - he is listed as head of household on 1881 and 1871. I think I have this older Thomas on the 1861 with siblings and parents Brigid and, another, Thomas. Brigid and Thomas are both Irish.

Last edited:
In which case, the marriage possibly took place somewhere in Ireland, Janice. There are certainly less of the McDonaghs than I would have expected in relation to the other variants, Nothing either on familysearch, which is supposed to have Irish Civil BMD from 1845 onwards or on Scotland's People either. Neither can I see anything on Ancestry or FMP. So for now we have to assume that they never actually married.

In addition to Annie in post #7, there is only one other child born in Brum with the Mulvihill mother's maiden name:-
Margaret McDonough born 4th Qtr 1885, Aston Reg Dist, Vol 6d Page 286, but she's not with the other children in 1891 and I can't find an early death. Where the children from different mothers?

I began to wonder if the children had different mothers.
I did check and Irish genealogy site I use but drew a blank there.

I found I had a coincidence with the Peaky blinders show.
My great grandfather Thomas moved from Lossiemouth, Scotland to Garrison Lane, living in North Holme.
He fought in the great war and was gassed in Ypres. After that, he couldn't work as a labourer and so he became a Bookies runner.
So "Tommy" lived on the same street, doing the same job/line of work and had the same first name as the main character in the show.

Edit: Also, my grandfather's brother (Also Thomas) -was a POW on the railroad in Burma. He got hit in the head with a rifle butt when they were being liberated and spent two years after the war recovering in hospital in Germany. Family story goes that he just walked into the back yard of the family house in Sparkbrook one day and his wife fainted in the kitchen at seeing him do so.

Back