• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

This one seems to be for real .....

db84124

Brummophile
..... as often happens these days, I've just received the following email message from a friend ...... the difference is that this time snopes.com SAYS IT'S FOR REAL. Purposely I'm not putting the snopes.com live link onto this post; you can use your search engines to find the site. I've done just that and THE EMAIL ENTITLED "HERE YOU HAVE (IT)" COULD INFECT YOUR COMPUTER WITH A VIRUS. This is what my email said :

READ IMMEDIATELY ..... VERY IMPORTANT

Anyone using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on: This information arrived this morning (this bit isn't true! It's been around since September 2010!), direct from both Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled "Here you have (it)". If you open the file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful ....'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING ON YOUR PC, and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon (this bit isn't true! It's been around since September 2010!) . AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti-virus softwares are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'Life Owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, and ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY.

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.

.................... please note that the original warning has been downgraded. I imagine most anti-virus programs have now been updated to combat this VBMania virus. It remains, however, a true threat.
Posted in good faith, David

Last edited:
Yes this is genuine according to Snopes - or was, it's been around for a while now and the original virus is possibly outdated now.

BUT, the main thing to worry about is that by just "sending a copy" of e-mails like this without deleting the list of recipients at the head gives anyone wanting them lists of genuine addresses for sending spam advertising mails. Send it on if you care to, but just the main copy of the message, don't just 'forward' to a list of your contacts with the (often large) lists of previous senders' friends lists still attached.

Yes this is genuine according to Snopes - or was, it's been around for a while now and the original virus is possibly outdated now.

BUT, the main thing to worry about is that by just "sending a copy" of e-mails like this without deleting the list of recipients at the head gives anyone wanting them lists of genuine addresses for sending spam advertising mails. Send it on if you care to, but just the main copy of the message, don't just 'forward' to a list of your contacts with the (often large) lists of previous senders' friends lists still attached.

I think that's true of any of these circulars. Personally, once I see anything with "pass it on" in it I delete it.

hello all, sorry for this being in the wrong place, but i didnt no where to reply, thank you Jean for your birthday wishes to me.

shardeen

Back