• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

This must have been a pub but what name

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
Came across this but where is it and what was its name.Dek

Attachments

• barn st diner.jpg
    barn st diner.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously Barn Street,.... ;)

Is it the 'Beehive?'... 'Brewers arms?'.... Or possibly the 'Beehive Brewers Arms'..... :)

The cafe is on the corner of Barn Street and Little Ann Street opposite Bordesley Street Barn Street becomes Milk Street after this crossroads I have asked the name of the pub on another site and was informed it was the Beehive . My nan used to live directly opposite this pub in Milk Street but my memory is so poor I cann't remember if the Behive is the correct name Bernie

I wonder if anyone knows which were the oldest purpose built flats in Brum as those in Milk Street looked very old in the early 1950s , thought they may be a contender Bernie

The cafe is on the corner of Barn Street and Little Ann Street opposite Bordesley Street Barn Street becomes Milk Street after this crossroads I have asked the name of the pub on another site and was informed it was the Beehive . My nan used to live directly opposite this pub in Milk Street but my memory is so poor I cann't remember if the Behive is the correct name Bernie

Might have been two name changes then bernie...

Not a particularly good photo. Max

Attachments

• Bordesley Garrison Lane 1989 .jpg
    Bordesley Garrison Lane 1989 .jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 6
Its a bit confusing, but McKenna lists it as the former Vulcan pub on the corner of Fazeley st.barnst. , which closed in 1933. Certainly there was a Vulcan pub at 151 Fazeley st by the corner , but the building here seems to be definitely in Barn st, with no entrance to Fazeley st.
mike

Hi Mike Fazeley Street is the other end of Barn Street , this is the corner of Little Ann Street regards Bernie

Max are they the flats in front of the Blues ground got to say they look a lot tidier now than i remember. Dek

Hi Dek am I confused again or is the cafe almost opposite Bordesley Street by the corner of Little Ann Street or am I in the wromg place regards Bernie

Hi Denis I don.t dispute the Riyal Oak the name is in print but I simply can,t remember regards Bernie

Sorry Bernie mate. Mine's even worse. Hope I didn't come across as rude or arrogant, I did attempt a smiley icon thingy to show I was joking, but I obviously forgot how to do it proper cuz it didn't appear! Must try harder...

My Uncles Reuben and Ralph Davies kept the Scrap Metal business on the corner of Little Ann Street around the turn of the nineteenth century for quite a while. It has long since gone now. Their other siblings, my other Aunts and Uncles lived in Milk Street and Coventry Street, as did my wife's family...what a poor area in those days...

I have the pub/café down in my records as Vulcan, Barn St. I used to use this café quite a lot in the 70's they did quite a good meal there. Also here is another photo of the first Municipal flats in Birmingham that are/were in Garrison Lane.

Phil

SmallHeathGarrisonLaneBirminghamFirstCouncilFlats1927-Copy.jpg

Hi Dek am I confused again or is the cafe almost opposite Bordesley Street by the corner of Little Ann Street or am I in the wromg place regards Bernie

Yes Bernie you are correct drive down Bordesley St from New canal St and its on the end, opposite left hand corner .Dek

Thanks Dek Thanks for the photos and info Phil , Hi Denis no offence taken mate as I said my dads family lived in Milk Street my mom came from Allison Street and I had aunts living in Rea Street and Meridan Street but I am from Small Heath and you'r right it was a poor area . Seemed to spend a fair bit of time outside the Wharf or the Little Bull with the obligatory crisps and vimpto regards Bernie

I have the pub/café down in my records as Vulcan, Barn St. I used to use this café quite a lot in the 70's they did quite a good meal there. Also here is another photo of the first Municipal flats in Birmingham that are/were in Garrison Lane.

Phil

And you are bang on (I think) as usual Phil and mikejee; well according to the text and that same photo in Joe McKenna's book Central Birmingham Pubs (Part 2) you are. He lists it as The Vulcan too. The mystery is further spiced up by his following narrative:
“There were two other pubs in Fazeley Street, both of which have now closed. The Vulcan Inn was at no 20. Thomas Parkes was its earliest landlord, in 1835. William Jenkins updated the pub from his plans of 26 November 1880. With the dispersal of the local population in a slum clearance scheme, The Vulcan surrendered its license in 1933. A year later, on 24 February 1934, The Royal Oak at 86 Fazeley Street, also closed. This pub, on the corner of Andover Street, dated from 1827: Job Reeves was its licensee. In 1895 it became a tied Holt’s house, and underwent updating to the plans of Edward Giles, including the inclusion of a urinal (well thank God for that). Further altearations were carried out in 1896. An advertisement of 1913 revealed that the pub consisted of ‘roomy bars, good smoke room, large club room and an excellent dining room. The site of the Royal Oak is now occupied by factory offices(2006).

So folks, it would appear that the BHF has trumped the research of the Digbeth & Deritend Local History Project of 1987 well and truly in this case. They are listed at 76 Floodgate Street B5 5SL if they are still extant by the way. The project was produced under the Community Project Contract by the Manpower Services Commission.

All it needs now is a map to pinpoint the two pubs before they were changed or trashed? And I bet I know a man who can, now he knows all this…

Last edited:
McKenna is not very clear on addresses. The Vulcan was at 20 Lower Fazeley St up until it was merged with Fazeley St between 1897 and 1899 and then became 151. The Royal Oak was listed, in directories at least, only at no 1 Andover St until 1897. From then until at least 1921 it was listed under both addresses. In 1932-33 it is only listed in Fazeley St. The position is shown on the c1889 map below, Royal oak in red, Vulcan in blue
Mike

map_1889_showing_vulcan_and_royal_Oak.jpg

Brilliant Mike, that's settled it. But look at what the Royal Oak is now...I think..

Attachments

• andover.JPG
    andover.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 11
So have we come to a conclusion its not the Vulcan or the Royal Oak. Is it the Beehive ? Dek

That is, or was, the Beehive, one of a number of boozers we visited en route to The Jug O'Punch Folk Club at Digbeth Civic Hall in the 1960's. There must have been more pubs per acre in that part of Brum than anywhere else in the known world.

Big Gee

Back