• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Think Tank

Went to Thinktank again yesterday! Had some free vouchers to use, so might as well take stuff I didn't take last year!

Will put some pics in the picture thead!

Back to Thinktank yesterday on Good Friday (as I had recieved some free entry vouchers as one of my photos of the BT Tower was used in an exhibition last year).

This is why I got the free vouchers last year:

They used it in an exhibition in Summer 2013 (but I couldn't go back to Thinktank back then!)

Instead I saw it for free at BM & AG last year

I could have gone to see it at Thinktank (but it was during the working week - last few days of July, first few days of August 2013)

Science Garden part 3

Build a bridge - I have memories as a kid of the version at the old science museum! Either a remake or the old one?

I have mixed feelings about the original post, there are plenty of attractions on show such as the Supermarine Spitfire and LMS Princess Coronation Class pacific 46235 "City of Birmingham". However the prices are a bit steep, and some of the exhibits are poorly sited.

Thank you ellbrown, I particularly like your "We made it" section". Lovely Chad Valley Toys!
I'm glad all those lovely machines are safely preserved.
rosie.

I still like the old Museum of Science and Industry better!

DTq0azTXkAAMToV.jpg

DTq0aywXkAAYoCw.jpg

Here's the lighthouse light in Thinktank in 2013.

And the Railton Mobil Special

I spent most of my young Saturdays at Newhall Street. I would get a return train to Snow Hill from Soho & Winson Green station, then do some trainspotting at Snow Hill and /or New street and then if it was cold, spend the afternoon in the Engineering Hall at the science museum. The highlight each year was a ride around town on the back of a steam lorry during the Steam Rally, trying not to fall off the back as it accelerated up Newhall Street! The think tank just doesn't do it for me.

I spent most of my young Saturdays at Newhall Street. I would get a return train to Snow Hill from Soho & Winson Green station, then do some trainspotting at Snow Hill and /or New street and then if it was cold, spend the afternoon in the Engineering Hall at the science museum. The highlight each year was a ride around town on the back of a steam lorry during the Steam Rally, trying not to fall off the back as it accelerated up Newhall Street! The think tank just doesn't do it for me.
Absolutely agree!

Congrats on getting one of your photo's published in last Thursdays Birmingham Mail, lovely picture, John.

Thank you. If you mean Selly Manor on Thursday. Also had one at the Bullring on Wednesday (two days in a row).

You will also find my photos in the new Birmingham We Are 2020 Charity Calendar, which they are launching this week. Got my copy today.

Much of it, apart from those exhibits saved from the Newhall Street museum, is aimed at very young children. This is a good thing..
It is a truism that children don't change. Every parent soon discovers that the cardboard box is more attractive to the young child than the contents. It is the adults that think that what is presented to children has to be updated. A few bright plastic balls may get more children playing but it won't inspire any of them to become engineers whereas a working beam engine will still fascinate those that want to take up engineering.

I am reminded of the old joke, Q. "Why are Irish jokes so stupid?" A. "So the English can understand them!" It isn't the children that don't understand old books and museums, it's the adults!

I think you're right Spargone. I do honestly understand those that champion the Think Tank kind of thing, I really do. But most little kids are attracted to the play areas which, to be fair, do seem to be themed toward science education. It's an entertainment experience as much as anything. So now we pay for it big time! So, taking your theme further, maybe adults have taken the entertaining aspect a little too far in some cases. Yes, mine was a much quieter experience. It required dad to explain, to talk to me. To first learn himself so that he could educate me properly. So it became intimate, formed a bond that I am forever grateful for. So for that I thank my dad for what we shared and for the lifelong interest in our Heritage that he has given me. Maybe it's true that most young adults have little time for that shared learning so the more instant 'entertainment' approach is now more successful. But back then, we depended on the smell of the oil, the beautifully engineered parts, slightly less colourful explanations. We were therefore stretched and dependant on dad to help us understand. But this stretching upwards inspired us, and the achievement of understanding was all the more satisfying and long lasting. Having said all this, I'm sure I simply have to accept that I've joined the Dinosaurs!

I think the people of Birmingham were "sold a pup" when the old science museum was closed down. - It was free to enter and its location was the ideal "link" between the city centre and the Jewellery Quarter. To my mind, its replacement, the "ThinkTank" at Millennium point (which contains only a fraction of what was in the original Science Museum) was a con by developers to get the council to jump-start their East Side development. It didn't work, and that whole area of Birmingham was semi-derelict for 20 years. It's only in recent years, with the land being snapped up by Aston University for student accommodation and the promise of the HS2 station being built next door that the area has sprung back to life. But that very success will probably doom the ThinkTank. It seems incredible to me that Birmingham Council does not actually own the ThinkTank building, it only rents it. The lease is up in 2029. No doubt the owners will get much more money from some big corporate company seeking to relocate some of its staff from London to less-expensive Birmingham once HS2 is in operation. What then? - Especially in light of Birmingham's financial woes.

One of my favourite days out is to the National Museum of Computing next to Bletchley Park. One of its star exhibits is the oldest original (rather than replica) computer anywhere in the world. - The Harwell Decatron "W.H.I.T.C.H." computer. - It actually belongs to Birmingham Museums, but it took someone from the National Museum of Computing to recognise it in storage, arrange for it to be loaned and repaired to working condition. - It just goes to show that Birmingham Museums simply does not know the value or worth of the things donated to it over the years.

Here is a link to an article in the Architect's Journal back in 2021 when they advertised for a "Masterplanner" to sort out the coming mess...

On principle, I've never visited the ThinkTank, but I did enjoy going to the big IMAX cinema that used to be housed in the same building (I used to work not far away). I was always puzzled by the lack of visitors to ThinkTank while their website was always boasting of how popular the place was. So one day I asked one of the security guards about it. - He said, they boast about the number of visitors, but that includes all the bussed-in schoolkids who get in for free. The actual number of paying visitors is a lot less.

Quite agree.. Visited once and certainly seemed aimed at giving something for schoolkids to look at with no real imtelligent design. In particular the idea of having a Lego section shows how very useless is the whole mess. I had not realised that the lease ran out in 2029. do not consider it would be a great loss. Perhaps the writer was influenced by the useless planners of the Think Tank when he stated that the Museum & art gallery was extended in 1017

I think the people of Birmingham were "sold a pup" when the old science museum was closed down. - It was free to enter and its location was the ideal "link" between the city centre and the Jewellery Quarter. To my mind, its replacement, the "ThinkTank" at Millennium point (which contains only a fraction of what was in the original Science Museum) was a con by developers to get the council to jump-start their East Side development. It didn't work, and that whole area of Birmingham was semi-derelict for 20 years. It's only in recent years, with the land being snapped up by Aston University for student accommodation and the promise of the HS2 station being built next door that the area has sprung back to life. But that very success will probably doom the ThinkTank. It seems incredible to me that Birmingham Council does not actually own the ThinkTank building, it only rents it. The lease is up in 2029. No doubt the owners will get much more money from some big corporate company seeking to relocate some of its staff from London to less-expensive Birmingham once HS2 is in operation. What then? - Especially in light of Birmingham's financial woes.

One of my favourite days out is to the National Museum of Computing next to Bletchley Park. One of its star exhibits is the oldest original (rather than replica) computer anywhere in the world. - The Harwell Decatron "W.H.I.T.C.H." computer. - It actually belongs to Birmingham Museums, but it took someone from the National Museum of Computing to recognise it in storage, arrange for it to be loaned and repaired to working condition. - It just goes to show that Birmingham Museums simply does not know the value or worth of the things donated to it over the years.

Here is a link to an article in the Architect's Journal back in 2021 when they advertised for a "Masterplanner" to sort out the coming mess...

On principle, I've never visited the ThinkTank, but I did enjoy going to the big IMAX cinema that used to be housed in the same building (I used to work not far away). I was always puzzled by the lack of visitors to ThinkTank while their website was always boasting of how popular the place was. So one day I asked one of the security guards about it. - He said, they boast about the number of visitors, but that includes all the bussed-in schoolkids who get in for free. The actual number of paying visitors is a lot less.
What a great article on the Harwell Decatron computer. As a retired engineer, I can feel the joy of the restorers and the please they derived. My default place on a rainy or cold Sunday afternoon was the old Science Museum. SO much history of Birmingham & the World for that matter!
Thank you Dinger!

What a great article on the Harwell Decatron computer. As a retired engineer, I can feel the joy of the restorers and the please they derived. My default place on a rainy or cold Sunday afternoon was the old Science Museum. SO much history of Birmingham & the World for that matter!
Thank you Dinger!
Cheers Richard,
You might like this video they made of its "reboot" - at the end they "race" the computer with someone using a mechanical calculator and the man wins! - But of course, the computer could go on working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, whereas a human operator would flag after 30 minutes.

Back