• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Think Tank

Sorry Baz The bedford is COA 123 C and is the genuine article,and the princess is WWP 38 and was once the works ambulance of Garringtons factory.Malcolm

I've still not got around to going back to Think Tank (only ever went once).

Anyway, Eastside City Park opened in December (and the Science Garden last summer I think).

Anything that isn't in Millennium Point is housed at the Museums Collection Centre off Dollman Street.

Such as this Sinclair C5

And this Turbo Prop Engine

A new gallery has opened today called We Made It

I've still not got around to revisiting the inside of Thinktank, but might do one day.

Last time I went near Millennium Point was when Eastside City Park opened.

Saw these trikes cycling around Carrs Lane. Then found them parked on High Street

One also for Birmingham History Galleries

Sounds great, but sadly out of a lot of families pockets with the current situation - for myself and Owen, it would cost over £20 admission alone and have to admit that last time we took him, it was truly abysmal - at least 40%of the exhibits were out of use, the same with the toilets, the cafe had run out of the "meal deal" offers - at 12.20 - when I e-mailedto complain the response was that it was school holiday time, what did I expect!!. So, we will be passing on this one and going to London for their free entry museums - sorry Brum!!
Sue

I know that a single adult ticket for Thinktank is £12.25 on the door. But you might be able to get a discount online.
I've not yet been back to Thinktank (not been inside Thinktank for around 12 or 13 years).

Over '60s either £7.50 if bought online (day before) or £8.40 on the day.

Family of four - online - £35 or £39 on the day.

Birmingham History Galleries in the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery is free to enter.

Ok went to Thinktank this morning.

If you use the bus or train you can get a 30% discount. Just go to the National Express West Midlands website to order your discount (gets sent to your email - print it off).

Concessions can only pay £5.88 instead of £8.40.

I only paid £8.57 instead of £12.25.

Oh and you can pay at the ticket booth outside Millennium Point in Eastside City Park.

Taken photos. Will get them up on Flickr this week, and will post the odd one here.
Including from "We Made It".

I went to Thinktank yesterday. All change since the new park opened. You can buy your ticket(s) from the ticket booth outside (opposite the new Science Garden). Just show the staff your ticket on Level 2, and you can go in.

We Made It opened recently. When I upload those photos, I will put them in the We Made It Thread.

I only paid £8.57. A 30% discount off the full £12.25 adult price (got voucher from National Express West Midlands website sent to my email and printed a copy of it to hand in).

Being Easter Monday, there was loads of families and kids, esp on "The Present" section. So I quickly went down to We Made It, then to "The Past".

I've said in another area that I consider the 'Think Tank' a complete ripoff. The loss of so much of historic B'ham to create the site, and the huge waste of space inside are a terrible indictment on those who allowed it to happen. As a child I often went to the Science Museum, it was an incredible experience. Much of what was there went to the 'TT' but a lot was lost. Many exhibits in the 'TT' are crammed in without proper information plaques, others are really well presented. I've been to the 3D Cinema, and the Planetarium was awe inspiring, but I felt the site was soul-less. I too agree that the Charges are a Council Avarice based thing, the Coventry Transport Museum is free.....
That's my view, it's good in parts, but very poorly designed.

Many items do have signs. The old cars, bikes etc have circular plaques on the floor (I took photos of those as well).

The City of Birmingham steam train is cramed into one space and can't move. They built a ramp up the left hand side of it.

The old site at Newhall Street, is supposed to be Newhall Square, but that land hasn't been developed yet (not counting the Travelodge around the corner).

Oh and anything not on display is probably at Dollman Street - Museum Collections Centre. Although some items from there have gone back on display, e.g. in this new We Made It exhibit.

Do you remember if the old one was free, or if you had to pay to get in?

This is only my second visit in 12 years (I think).

Used to go to the old on many times when I was younger.

Science Museum was Free same as the Coventry Motor Museum is today.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Do you remember if the old one was free, or if you had to pay to get in?

This is only my second visit in 12 years (I think).

Used to go to the old on many times when I was younger.
The old museum was free. As a kid I was in there all the time.

Strange that Thinktank you have to pay to get in. While Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery is free to enter.
Think the community museums used to be free (Sarehole Mill, Blakesley Hall, Aston Hall, Soho House etc) but think they need a small fee to enter now.

Sadly, gone are the days when you could just wander into those places you mentioned free of charge. If you feel in the mood on the
first Sunday of every month you can visit the first four free. Bit of a rush though.;o) If the entrance fee is waived in many cases donations are encouraged and special exhibitions charge a fee to visit them.
://www.bmag.org.uk/birmingham-museum

Back