• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Think Tank

Thanks for that JennyAnn, will remember vthat to take mom anddad.
Sounds like thinktank may have improved since we went, I was so disgusted with it, very expensive, less than 50% of the interactive items were working and all the toilets were out of use, if you went out to use the working ones, you had to re-queue to get back in! so haven't been tempted to go again.
Sue

I think all the interactive things were working, although I didn't try them as I was concentrating of taking photos of the museum.

I have got some of my Thinktank photos up onto Flickr.

Here are some I've got up so far

This car was turning around on a turntable

Things like this were interactive - kids could press a button, move a lever etc

Making a Jaguar car

Mention has been made of "Stored articles". I know that back in the 1960's the old Science Museum had over 100 old Motorcycles, each a model made between 1890 and 1920 in B'ham, rotting away in a basement somewhere. Likewise many old cars and things like Buttons & locks.

I don't know what happened to them, but I fear the worst........

You're probably referring to the Museum Collections Centre on Dollman Street in Nechells. I went to a free Open Day there last year.

They have a garage area where they are stored like this

Although some items I saw at Dollman Street last year, are now on display at Thinktank.

Last year I also found various bicycles like this at Dollman Street

Not all can be put on display.

They had some bikes hanging from the ceiling at Thinktank!

Thanks for the Information, I'll try to visit Dollman St in June. However, there was, I remember, a picture in the Motorcycle Press in the early 70s of these 'basements' full of machines, and an accompanying article.

More like warehouses full of machines! You can walk down long corridors with big machines, and various objects.

Smaller items like pots etc will be found upstairs in the first area you will visit at Dollman Street (many small items in cages).

Oh and they had some things outside, like that Spirit of Enterprise sculpture from Centenary Square.

Back