• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Think Tank

I now live in Lincoln and was proposing to visit 'think tank' sometime on a
future visit to Birmingham.

Having seen sight of the admission charges i for one won't be bothering.

I don't see why i should pay to go and see my heritage, disgraceful.

I visited Aug 2008, mainly to see this :)

compared with the old Science Museum, Disappointing :(

All that money to go in and they haven't even got a proper ceiling to the place. I know, I know - it's the fashion but who wants to see all that rubbish above. Selfridges is the same. Never go there either. Transfer the original Science Museum exhibits to the old Central Fire Station I say, along with the stored stuff and show them for free. Most were donated to the people of Birmingham in the first place.

Thats a great idea Mike. I believe theres loads of stored stuff at a place in Duddeston that could be brought back to life then.

good evening all
just found this thread and it reminds me of a letter that i had published in the mail some time ago on one of my favorite subjects "old birmingham" i was fortunate to grow up in the the "60s" and witnessed a lot of the old birmingham, i wont use "brum" because i think it demeans our city and all it has done for our country ,but i digress, it concerned the destruction of our heritage and the loss of all the buildings and trades that were in birmingham,and why there could not be an area set up in possibly in the new eastlands area of a heritage site in the vein of the black country museum, we have got all these artefacts stored lets put them to good use to show future generations what we did for our country and be proud of BIRMINGHAM.
sorry i have rambled!
phil:rolleyes:

They so nearly got it right though, only a few hundred yards away
from 'Think Tank' is the original London-Birmingham railway terminus
at Curzon Street, c1838.

This building now sits on its own and looks out onto a car park.

With a little bit of joined up thinking it could have been incorporated
as the facade/entrance to the new science museum, i believe the
council also own the car park site as well.

To me it would have made good sense to incorporate the Curzon St
building instead of leaving it high and dry as they have done.

So near and yet so far away.

regards Neville..

We all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet here. It's a shame the powers that be don't ask the people. Phil I also had a letter published in the Mail on this subject. Neville what a wonderful idea that would have been. I can imagine the magnificent arch being the entrance........just what a Birmingham Museum should have.:)

I also agree with what's bbeen said about the Think Tank experience - utter rubbish. What worries me is that with all the old stuff being stored away, over the years people will begin to forget about it, because it's not in the forefront of our minds, or on show daily. At some time the Council, or caretakers, or whoever, will, in their wisdom, decide that it's too expensive to store, and insure, and keep safe, etc. etc . - and it will gradually be spirited quietly away before anybody becomes truly aware of it. By the time we find out, it will be gone and too late to do anything about it. Haven't a clue how to stop thathappening - but it bothers me something rotten.

I think if you asked most people today what Birmingham is famous for the answer would be Balti curries! Many people, even one’s born in Birmingham, are oblivious to the fine Industrial Heritage of our fine city. Unless there are more “good” museums and displays of the Industrial architecture our city once possessed every trace of our past will disappear under the foundations of offices and designer apartments. Most of the redevelopment is being carried out by companies from outside our city therefore I believe they have no interest in preserving any of the fine buildings or industrial heritage demolished to make way for their monstrous concrete developments. Most of the city apartments constructed are occupied by people from outside the city and used as a second home. I am sure most of these people return to country residences or leafy suburbs at the weekend oblivious to the destruction caused by the construction of their “second home”. This is just so they can walk less than a few hundred yards to their place of work.

If someone asked you how to get to the centre of Birmingham and you gave them directions to Digbeth they would think you had taken leave of yours sense’s, however I am sure most of you know that Digbeth was the original centre of our Town. Ask a few where the river Rea is and the common answer is Tamworth. Ask of a Beam Engine and I am sure the reply would be, “Don’t you mean a Beamer engine out of a BMW?” Something needs to be done before all is lost, and I don’t mean putting things in Perspex display cases with a LCD screen giving a brief description of it.

Thinking of Balti’s, can’t you just imagine Mathew Boulton and James Watt discussing their Industrial wonders over a pint of lager and a Balti in a fine tavern in Broad Street. “Pass another naan bread Boulton my good fellow. It’ getting a little boisterous in here, perhaps we should retire to Soho House.”

The Curzon Street Station idea is a good one for a new Science Museum and Heritage Park. If that was a runner then perhaps the city council could save thousands of pounds on building a new Central Library by moving it into the classic Central Fire Station. The inner courtyard there could be sensibly enclosed for extra floorspace and the outside appearance left basicly unchanged.

as a brummie, with very fond memories of the old science museum i used to visit as a child during the long summer hols, after reading about the charges and what you get for your money then i shall choose to give it a miss.
it seems a shame that young children are deprived of such knowledge just because of charges.

When we were at Dollman Street today I asked one of the staff about the Think Tank and decided I need to put aside my prejudices [having to pay to see what our forefathers gave gladly to the City] and have a looksee.

Thanks Frothy that is a great insight.

When we were at Dollman Street today I asked one of the staff about the Think Tank and decided I need to put aside my prejudices [having to pay to see what our forefathers gave gladly to the City] and have a looksee.

Thanks Frothy that is a great insight.

I know it hurts paying for something that was free for so long but their are lots of hands on things to do, their was a silversmith there today demonstrating his trade.:)

i rememer when i went their my favroite bit was the steam train

I know it hurts paying for something that was free for so long .:)
FROTH It hurts me I still think the museums should be free :rolleyes:how many cant afford to take their families to see some wonderful things that we used to see when we were kids prejudiced you bet yer sweet bippy as they used to say on Rowan and Martins laugh in :rolleyes::D... NICE pics

FROTH It hurts me I still think the museums should be free :rolleyes:how many cant afford to take their families to see some wonderful things that we used to see when we were kids prejudiced you bet yer sweet bippy as they used to say on Rowan and Martins laugh in :rolleyes::D... NICE pics

I really didn't understand the last part of your post:stare:
"sweet bibby" whats that:confused2:

:D Froth a paraphrase dick martin used on the programme :D:D;)[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGvzmOoh3Y"]YouTube- Rowan & Martin Laugh In - Quickies #2[/ame] a "quickie"

Last edited:
Back