• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Things We Sent Off For

I still have one I sent off for when I was a kid - recall being very disappointed with it. I seem to remember there being a camera lens adapter that did a similar thing but looked like a normal lens when viewed from the front. Mind my Mom was even more disappointed when the stink bombs I ordered at the same time exploded when she threw them on the fire.

Dissappointed when the gollywogs went, but understand it now, how times and perception changes (for the better I add).
You could save up your 10 paper ones (I think) for an enamelled badge or 15 (I think) for a pottery one.
Theres a thread somewhere.

Nico - I remember the light up bow tie - had one myself too and thought I was the bees knees (sad isnt it) :)
Not at all. (Everytime I reply to you I imagine I am replying to Steve MacQueen.)
I wore mine to my cousin's wedding but mum undid the wire. They have flashing ties and earrings now. I saw Cilla Black in a flashing bra. Scary. Was yours red tartan?

Yes Come to think of it, it was tartan .... remember the plastic black moustaches too that clipped in your nose ?
How simple were our play things ...
I am similar to the pic :) so its not far off.

Yes Come to think of it, it was tartan .... remember the plastic black moustaches too that clipped in your nose ?
How simple were our play things ...
I am similar to the pic :) so its not far off.
My dickie wire was green. I could never stand the nose clip moustaches I always sneezed too. Remember the false teeth which came with them, often in crackers? You have brought a Christmas back to me when I was trying to kiss my great granny wearing my moustache and she kept laughing because it fell off. Nan had a tiny bucket in her cracker. I won't tell you what she said. Gt Gran died not long after that I would think. We all used to stir the Christmas pudding she made and made a wish whilst stirring. Happy days!

Going off thread a bit (sorry) a friend of mine worked at a Shell Garage in orphanage road Erdington during the first Shell make money promotion, during his time there he acquired 4 boxes of the make money coupons, probably over two thousand and not one matched. We thought we were going to be rich but all we ended up with was a pile of waste paper.

Shell were (and maybe still are) experts at the getting you hooked.
I remember the world cup coins and I seem to remember the bullitt hole stickers for car windscreens.

They're now doing tesco club points by the way.

Shell were (and maybe still are) experts at the getting you hooked.
I remember the world cup coins and I seem to remember the bullitt hole stickers for car windscreens.

They're now doing tesco club points by the way.
Have to agree. I started in 69 with shell mex and BP and after the split in 75 moved to shell. So the story goes BP were always good at finding oil whereas Shell were always good at selling it,wish I could find it :)

They're both (Shell + BP) in the top 10 world companies (just for info). Shell used to transport sea shells back from the middle east for shops to sell here and it was them that went on to supply their vehicles for the transport of oil (eventually) because they had a good transport system ~ simple as that ~ thats how the petrolem connection started and thats why they have shell signs outside the garages. Factoid of the day - my brains hurts now :)

They're both (Shell + BP) in the top 10 world companies (just for info). Shell used to transport sea shells back from the middle east for shops to sell here and it was them that went on to supply their vehicles for the transport of oil (eventually) because they had a good transport system ~ simple as that ~ thats how the petrolem connection started and thats why they have shell signs outside the garages. Factoid of the day - my brains hurts now :)
After 25 years working for Shell UK I've heard that story a few times, still a great company to work for and the pension, something I wasn't sure about paying into, is a wonderful thing.

Back