• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love looking at these then and now even though did not come from the area , but parents used to visit friends in the area back in sixtys and early seventys and loved catching the buses from Cas Brom in to town and out again

I recall the earlier b&w photo of Sparkbrook. It suggests a time before the junction on the left was widened. That junction with Stoney Lane and Walford Road was always a traffic bottleneck even back in the early 1950's. There was often a police constable on traffic duty there in the rush hours.

Late afternoon, September 1964 on Stratford Road and three teenage girls in school uniform warily watch those young lads pushing the 'soapbox cart'. The bus on the left has turned into Stoney Lane passing the Jubilee Stores. The tower of St Agatha's Church is visible above the shops on the left.
View attachment 148281
The image has been computer colourised. The B&W image is in another thread on the forum.

In the same place today the Jubilee Stores would have been where the 'Aldi' sign is and maybe that post box (partially visible) is the same one seen in the old photo. The tower of St Agatha's Church is clearly visible and has a mobile phone mast on top.
View attachment 148282
oldMohawk, I see the tower on the right is missing, seems like the building is still there. Is it just the tower that is gone?

More great photos!

Hi Ploody,
It's nice to hear from someone who was actually in one of the old street pics. I presume you managed to avoid running into those girls. They looked as if they were walking home from school but according to the time on the clock it seems late. The colours were added by me and I could edit them to something different.

Another interesting photo at that location is earlier in thread as below ...
In the pic in post #41 a man seemed out of place, the man in this pic looks in place but interesting.

It is Stratford Road/Stoney Lane in 1952, the camera was ready, the street scene was set as a uniformed man rides in on his motorised bike.

He has large leather cuffs on his sleeves, badges and shiny buttons on his double breasted jacket, he stares at the camera, I wonder what he was thinking ? I can't seem to place the uniform maybe he was a tram driver, but I remember those motorised bikes, a postman in our road had one and I used watch him going off to work pedalling furiously to get the motor started.

index.php

from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/page-2#post-430265
oldmohawk :)

oldMohawk, I see the tower on the right is missing, seems like the building is still there. Is it just the tower that is gone?

More great photos!
Hi Richard, the building opposite St Agatha's shows as a church on Streetview but the tower or steeple must have been demolished at some date.

The missing spire was on the Stratford Road Baptist Church. This thread gives details:
posts 92 - 102.

Hi all the colours are fine old mohawk and the girls could be late from school having played netball or rounders that was the thing in the day.All asking about the Baptist Church spire was burnt down in a fire in the church which I think was hired out to a photo studio in the 70's/80's and I went to this church at the time of the photo 1964 in the boys brigade 2nd company

The missing spire was on the Stratford Road Baptist Church. This thread gives details:
posts 92 - 102.
Thank you RR!

Just looking back on this superb thread, perhaps our car identity wizard from Staffs can confirm the make of sports car in thread 414.

Bob

The first picture in this thread about a man (possibly a dad) pushing a pram, reminds me of my late mother-in-law telling me about hard times when she was a child (she was the eldest of several siblings) being sent out with an old pram full of bundles of firewood, and not being allowed to return home until it had all been sold. I recall she said she was made to take her little sister to play on people's sympathy, and that they walked the streets for hours and hours. Even though my mother-in-law grew so tired she could hardly put one foot in front of the other, she would end up pushing her sister as well as the firewood. The sad part of this story is her parents used the money she earned to buy gin rather than much needed food.

Late afternoon, September 1964 on Stratford Road and three teenage girls in school uniform warily watch those young lads pushing the 'soapbox cart'. The bus on the left has turned into Stoney Lane passing the Jubilee Stores. The tower of St Agatha's Church is visible above the shops on the left.
View attachment 148281
The image has been computer colourised. The B&W image is in another thread on the forum.

In the same place today the Jubilee Stores would have been where the 'Aldi' sign is and maybe that post box (partially visible) is the same one seen in the old photo. The tower of St Agatha's Church is clearly visible and has a mobile phone mast on top.
View attachment 148282
My family were quite involved with St Agatha's and I was during the 1950's a member of the Boy Scouts, Church Lads Brigade, Youth Club and Altar Boy. I hasten to add I was not a Goody Goody but at that time it filled a gap.
It was an Anglo Catholic, Church of England and as such it was attended mainly by a congregation of well off people from out of the parish who tolerated we local scruff.
When I think back about these snobier stalwarts I think they would be turning in their graves at the thought on a mobile phone tower stuck on the top of the church it used to be.

Certainly don’t see any reason to disagree with the others.

The car with the spare wheel on the back (EKB) is a 1937/40 Ford 8 model 7Y in basic trim. I think that they built some during the war as basic transport for essential users but they mostly got driven into the ground.* The deluxe model had a steel cover like a big saucepan lid to hide the wheel. The MG models of that era always cause a problem but TC is as good a shout as any.

BTW, I don’t know if anyone has commented, but GOE 633 is one of the 15 or so AEC Regent III buses bought by BCT post war. They were basically the London Standard bus chassis, but with Birmingham modifications and Park Royal bodywork, but no more were purchased.

JOJ567 was a 1950 built Birmingham Standard Metropolitan Cammell bodied bus on the Guy Arab III chassis. Much more like it!

*I’ve done some looking up, and the 7Y had been discontinued in 1939 and replaced by the 04A Anglia, no different mechanically but with a boot and a different front grille, sorry!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back