• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but at least not under a blazer, and shirt and tie.

Cheers
jfs
My old neighbour does. He used to be on t'committee at the WMC. What do you say now WPC? He used to check the bingo cards in his blazer shirt and shorts. Very short in height he wears very short tight 70s shorts and a broad brimmed straw.
I wore short trousers till I was about 10. I was tall but I remember snow going over the wellie tops, pulling my socks up over my knees but preferring to be out in the snow.

Shorts was the summer uniform in Egypt but apart from on a holiday in Australia I've never worn them...……………..and I've never worn jeans.

Pedro,

Sadly I'm not supposed to drink any alcohol for medical reasons, though I admit to a sip of raki occasionally. :)

Eric,

Decent quality jeans are hard-wearing and don't need ironing - I admit I am a lazy blighter! - and are the norm in these parts. But you wear what you feel comfortable in. I haven't worn a tie for nearly 20 years, and that was for a UK funeral. I've always hated ties. But I fear we're wandering way off topic and I can hear Lyn loading her sniper's rifle now! :scream:

Maurice :cool:

Pedro,

Sadly I'm not supposed to drink any alcohol for medical reasons, though I admit to a sip of raki occasionally. :)

Eric,

Decent quality jeans are hard-wearing and don't need ironing - I admit I am a lazy blighter! - and are the norm in these parts. But you wear what you feel comfortable in. I haven't worn a tie for nearly 20 years, and that was for a UK funeral. I've always hated ties. But I fear we're wandering way off topic and I can hear Lyn loading her sniper's rifle now! :scream:

Maurice :cool:
i bet You wear a kaftan. like demis Roussos, our maurice.:grinning:

Sorry I've been away but it is great to see our infamous running man still running and causing questions. Great to hear all your comments and thanks OldMo for this legendary thread always hits the chuckle muscle.

Being reminded of this excellent thread..... Hope I haven't posted this before but 143 pages are too many to check back through!! Apologies if I have.

Not Brum, but Berlin, 1932, 88 years ago. The connection is that the taxi driver (on the street corner, beyond)
is gazing at a Brummie (my father, on the right, with another bloke who is probably from Birmingham and a car which certainly is).

HMandUnknownBusinessTripBerlinmid1930s.img045red.jpg

This is the unknown Berlin taxi-driver:

HMUkColleagueBusinessTripBerlin1932img045cropCabbie.jpg

And this is how I described him:

....... the taxi, waiting on the far side of the street, in the Kronenstrasse to the right. The cabbie is looking across at us, his expression one of idle curiosity as he awaits his next fare; or is it one of unfriendly suspicion as he looks at this group of foreigners and their unfamiliar vehicle? And who knows, perhaps only fifteen or so years previously he and my father, as mere boys filled with fear and hatred, had peered out at one another from each side of an expanse of tangled barbed wire and French mud.

Chris

Last edited:
Yes. its here somewhere Chris. But nice to see an old car. I believe there were quite a few comments.
Soon found: :laughing:

The car is undoubtedly a Riley, the OG number plate started in April 1930, and ran until April 1931. As the number is 6698, I would place the car’s birth at Jan 1931, and the model as a Nine Monaco saloon, but with slightly less certainty. The taxi is a mystery, (maybe a Citroën) my knowledge of these old cars extends only to British makes. The Riley, at the time, was a fairly expensive sporting make, a bit like a small BMW or Alfa Romeo would be more recently.

Nine meant nine horsepower, a government contrivance for taxation purposes, the engine being a 1087cc four cylinder producing about 30 brake horsepower or so.

Monaco is the name of the body type, in this case a wooden framed saloon with a fabric (usually leather cloth) covering

Last edited:
Thanks, Alan. I really meant in this thread. Possibly here, somewhere. But I'll leave this here anyway - the odd newer member might be interested in it and the link you kindly provided.

(The original 2008 article has got updated in the meantime: a final, much more encouraging outcome for one of the families whose business appeared elsewhere in the background of this image and whose grim history I managed to track down).

And thanks also, John. Just think of the journey that car has had from the streets of Birmingham. No autobahns in those days. Nor car ferries. And Berlin is a long way to the east. It presumably got back OK. My Dad did, anyway! Not our family car, unfortunately.

Chris

Just for interest - one different Brummie and the same Brummie car - the same scene a few seconds earlier or later, my father having become the photographer.....

BerlinukColleagues1932img651red.jpg

(That corner was totally destroyed by RAF bombs or Russian artillery. It is now the back of the Berlin Hilton. I have a 2007 photo taken from the same spot but won't post it here as we are edging towards the off-topic already!)

Last edited:
Just for interest - one different Brummie and the same Brummie car - the same scene a few seconds earlier or later, my father having become the photographer.....

View attachment 146957

(That corner was totally destroyed by RAF bombs or Russian artillery. It is now the back of the Berlin Hilton. I have a 2007 photo taken from the same spot but won't post it here as we are edging towards the off-topic already!)
Found lots of these cars on line but none with a front bumper so is this one none standard? John.

Found lots of these cars on line but none with a front bumper so is this one none standard? John.
Sorry about the time I have taken in responding to your question about front bumpers, but the wife, the greenhouse and the belated garden work caught up, and she who must be........

The front bumper may have been fitted by the owner, or requested from the factory knowing that he had a foreign adventure in mind. The front dumb irons extend to not far behind the location of the bumper, so the engineering involved would have amounted perhaps to drilling some holes and fabrication of suitable bracketry to mount it. My view would be that it might not have been sensible to weld in that area, embrittlement of the metal around the spring mounts would not be desirable. The bumper would have been relatively weak because of its mounting, okay to protect the radiator from small animals but no cow catcher!

I have not seen such a bumper on an early 30s Riley, the one fitted could have been sourced from a Morris, those fitted to later Rileys being much more elaborate. In response to the “non standard” query, in those days there was less standardisation since the cars were more hand built.

Hoping that this is a suitable answer.

Last edited:
Late afternoon, September 1964 on Stratford Road and three teenage girls in school uniform warily watch those young lads pushing the 'soapbox cart'. The bus on the left has turned into Stoney Lane passing the Jubilee Stores. The tower of St Agatha's Church is visible above the shops on the left.
CoolColourised_StratfordRd_1964.jpg
The image has been computer colourised. The B&W image is in another thread on the forum.

In the same place today the Jubilee Stores would have been where the 'Aldi' sign is and maybe that post box (partially visible) is the same one seen in the old photo. The tower of St Agatha's Church is clearly visible and has a mobile phone mast on top.
Now_StratfordRd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back