• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think it's a girl, on her way to the pawn shop. :) the clothes are over her left arm and trailing to the floor, the stick is a coat hanger in her left hand, under her hat she has collar length hair.

First time I've seen a bloke wearing 'plus fours' in a city centre pic. He's striding along in a determined manner ... perhaps a meeting made him late for some afternoon golf. There is a hint that he is wearing the customary 'argyle socks' but resolution is not high enough to be sure. On a closer look he might be wearing 'plus eights' ... :cool:
plus4s.jpg
He's in the second pic of the following post ...
In 1935 Phyliss Nicklin took the photo as shown earlier in the thread see quote below
index.php

A few seconds later she took another from the same spot and left a wonderful photo for us to look at ...
index.php

First time I've seen a bloke wearing 'plus fours' in a city centre pic. He's striding along in a determined manner ... perhaps a meeting made him late for some afternoon golf. There is a hint that he is wearing the customary 'argyle socks' but resolution is not high enough to be sure. On a closer look he might be wearing 'plus eights' ... :cool:
View attachment 140832

Phil, do you think he has epaulettes?

Phil, do you think he has epaulettes?
Hi Jim, I've had a close look and there does seem something looking like an epaulette on his shoulder. Perhaps he worked for a hotel or similar but why he would be dressed like that is a mystery. Looks like he is carrying a brief case. Apparently 'plus fours' became popular in the 1920s but started to go out of fashion in the late 1930s.

I have heard of plus 4s and plus 2s but plus 8s is a new one to me.

I think his jacket is a sports jacket rather than a suit jacket. Plus 4s, I am sure, never would have been regarded as suitable business wear. I have a recollection that I might have seen tweed jackets like that with epaulettes at some time in my youth but they would have been regarded as very oldfashioned.

Hi Jim, I've had a close look and there does seem something looking like an epaulette on his shoulder. Perhaps he worked for a hotel or similar but why he would be dressed like that is a mystery. Looks like he is carrying a brief case. Apparently 'plus fours' became popular in the 1920s but started to go out of fashion in the late 1930s.
Too much trying to see a pattern that might not be there I think!
Playing that game there is 'clearly' a priest standing behind him!
The 'target' man might just be wearing an apron, perhaps a market trader heading to the bank?
The man on the left of the cropped shot and the man above him might be seen as wearing shopkeepers' coat-style overalls.

I have a recollection that I might have seen tweed jackets like that with epaulettes at some time in my youth but they would have been regarded as very oldfashioned.
The style of jacket worn in conjunction with a kilt has shoulder tabs. My feeling is that the image is 'over-zoomed' to the point that resolution, grain and scanning anomalies are allowing the eye/brain to create patterns that aren't there.

In 1971, I remember because we had just moved to a new neighbourhood. I got the bus with a Northern Irishman in a cream itchy looking tweed suit and tie and plus fours and a brown cap and polished shoes. And beige socks. His trousers came just below the knee with a button, He was with his son who was in a cream tweed short trousersed suit. A bit old for shorts I thought. They wanted directions and I said you get off the stop before me. We sat opposite on the long seat over the wheel downstairs as you got on the bus at the back. He was really old fashioned but very pleasant. And we chatted all the way.

View attachment 140832

OM its the same picture only at a different angle

Plus-fours and some country attire may have been unusual in Birmingham at times, but some of those living out in the suburbs might dress differently than inner city or factory workers. When in Birmingham in 1963 or 4, visiting relatives to introduce my new wife, we went to Rackhams. I bought a collared light yellow long coat for my wife - quite expensive at the time, but she loved the coat and fondly remembers it. When the staff found out we were from Devon they surprised us by saying that we were probably more used to wearing tweeds. Actually I had a few styles of clothing at the time - dependant on what I was doing or where I was going - but my wife has never been into tweeds. But I believe it summarises how areas of the country were perceived - maybe still are for some folk - perceived. Other people, due to our good suntans, including the baby, thought we might be from Italy or France.

Plus-fours and some country attire may have been unusual in Birmingham at times, but some of those living out in the suburbs might dress differently than inner city or factory workers. When in Birmingham in 1963 or 4, visiting relatives to introduce my new wife, we went to Rackhams. I bought a collared light yellow long coat for my wife - quite expensive at the time, but she loved the coat and fondly remembers it. When the staff found out we were from Devon they surprised us by saying that we were probably more used to wearing tweeds. Actually I had a few styles of clothing at the time - dependant on what I was doing or where I was going - but my wife has never been into tweeds. But I believe it summarises how areas of the country were perceived - maybe still are for some folk - perceived. Other people, due to our good suntans, including the baby, thought we might be from Italy or France

Rr you never can tell , perhaps the chap in the pic was up from the country , or he had be on the outskirts of Brum on a shoot or somesuch

Can I join in? This guy has certainly caused a stir. My take - Cover his head and he looks almost female in his gait. Even his swinging arm gives same impression. If they weren't plus fours, it might almost be a skirt. Guy in trilby (?) seems uninterested but the guy to his right with the bag of snooker cues (?) is attracted by something. The guy on the left is walking purposefully but has been attracted by something. Finally, can anyone identify the make of the vehicle at the rear.
OldBrummie.

View attachment 140850
It has something of the look of a 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith, but why does the radiator detail not look quite right? If it is a Rolls-Royce then that goes to show the difficulties of pushing a photo beyond the limits of resolution!
A beautiful motor but going back to the subject photo there appears to possibly be a bar of some kind across the middle of the radiator and that doesn't look very "Rolls Royce". OldBrummie

View attachment 140850
It has something of the look of a 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith, but why does the radiator detail not look quite right? If it is a Rolls-Royce then that goes to show the difficulties of pushing a photo beyond the limits of resolution!
I think the headlight to grill dimension is wrong also installed hight
The headlight diameter appears small for Lucas P 100,s
Then the cross bar between the headlights is not typical for a Rolls Royce most times a badge bar would be mounted on the front valance between the overriders.
Then I can not see the famed sculpture by Sykes ( and I don't mean Eric ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back