• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUst shows how a small aspect of a photo can give an little insight into social history.

If it’s an Edwardian period photo, the hats could have very wide brims. Also as has been suggested if she’s taking items of clothing somewhere, it might not be her hat, so wouldnt fit her, but swamp her head. Viv.

prob a child off to the rag market, easer to carry the shade on her head with her arms full.... mobile phones was not around then.and the boy on the right is looking at the camera.
That was a joke about a mobile phone, then I thought it could be a wireless remote control for the new (partially) blue battery operated tram coming towards her. I live in a surrealistic world, but was in a jesting mood because I have just learned the carcinoma I have just had removed from my hand is benign, thank goodness. However I cannot think for the life of me what the stick like thing is, but I am sure you can see a hand there. I think what she is wearing on her head is at an angle and covers her face. I do not know this side of the city, so pardon my ignorance is the gateway into a park and if so which one?
Bob

That was a joke about a mobile phone, then I thought it could be a wireless remote control for the new (partially) blue battery operated tram coming towards her. I live in a surrealistic world, but was in a jesting mood because I have just learned the carcinoma I have just had removed from my hand is benign, thank goodness. However I cannot think for the life of me what the stick like thing is, but I am sure you can see a hand there. I think what she is wearing on her head is at an angle and covers her face. I do not know this side of the city, so pardon my ignorance is the gateway into a park and if so which one?
Bob
YOU ARE NOT ignorant....and we dont think that...the gate way is off the coventry rd. hope your hand heals soon.

Last edited:
Bob
Good news about the hand Bob. Good news is always welcome any time of the year. Your sense of humour is particularly welcome any time of the year also.:grinning:

I too realised you were obviously joking. Pleased to hear your hand is OK Bob.

Well the snippet of the photo has certainly got us all thinking and all suggestions add to the interest and speculation. Thanks to OldMohawk for posting it on here. Viv.

Bob
Bob, glad to hear that you had good news about your hand.
As it says in post#1 it is a 'light-hearted' thread looking at our old pics and there is a bloke in 1930s Erdington seen possibly using a mobile phone ... see post#300.
oldmohawk ... :)

Glad to hear your hand is OK. Must have been stressfull.
With regards to the photo, I think the "stick is the handle of a broom. I'm sure that I can detect signs of a mass of bristles at the other end just above her feet.

Glad to hear your hand is OK. Must have been stressfull.
With regards to the photo, I think the "stick is the handle of a broom. I'm sure that I can detect signs of a mass of bristles at the other end just above her feet.
By jove I think he 's got it, I think you are right and in all seriousness could she be in fancy dress as a witch?

Bob

Yes Mike !! I see it now. She seems to have a collection of household items. For what reason ? Viv.

Just slightly off theme, but thanks for your comments on my hand, it is in recovery, our wonderful NHS redress it every two days and have said it is looking good, the cause ultra violet, cover up in the sun. Thanks again,back to the theme, my comments on black and white photos on another theme are well proved here. Did he stop to photo the trams, the park gates or did he just see an aminated street, it is a commercial postcard and if the number is anything to go on, one of many. Have we any clue to the publisher?...and they are all wearing hats.

Bob

i am having a right giggle here at the posts about the lady with the possible lampshade on her head and now mike can see bristles by her feet...ignore me folks i have my silly head on now:D

Yes a broom, I believe, the hat, probably her own (cast off most likely) but the cloak or whatever the carried clothing is may well be part of an errand. Children in the past were generally recruited to do errands.

I can't see a girl ... :)
I would expect to see part of her face under the left side of the shade. Where are her shoulders? All I can see under the shade are the trousers of the man behind. The light area on the bundle above the road surface appears to be a square thing partially hidden by draped cloth.

I suspect that lad/girl on the right has set up bundle of things to sell but I can't be certain.
We all see it differently ... so it remains an odd thing in an old pic ...;)
index.php

linked image
I notice the buildings on the left are still there today.

I can't see a girl ... :)
I would expect to see part of her face under the left side of the shade. Where are her shoulders? All I can see under the shade are the trousers of the man behind. The light area on the bundle above the road surface appears to be a square thing partially hidden by draped cloth.

I suspect that lad/girl on the right has set up bundle of things to sell but I can't be certain.
We all see it differently ... so it remains an odd thing in an old pic ...;)
index.php

linked image
I notice the buildings on the left are still there today.
Looking closely at the picture on my big screen works computer, I have sussed it....it is a robot and if you look at the boy's hands, you can see he is holding a controller.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back