• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old Bulls Head stood at the junction of Flaxley Road and Station Road in Stechford. It's a nice pic so I've added colour but no people in the pic so a little lad helped me out by jumping from another forum pic into this one ... he's a time traveler ! Two old bread carts one Hardings and the other C.Waldron but they look the same design ... did anyone ever see one and remember they colour they actually were. The Hardings cart has a parking brake.
XBullsHead4.jpg

A modern streetview and I think the chimney just to the right of the hoarding is one seen in the old pic.
WhereBullsHeadWas.jpg

An original pic is on the BHF here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/bread-vehicles.48124/post-600371

The old Bulls Head stood at the junction of Flaxley Road and Station Road in Stechford. It's a nice pic so I've added colour but no people in the pic so a little lad helped me out by jumping from another forum pic into this one ... he's a time traveler ! Two old bread carts one Hardings and the other C.Waldron but they look the same design ... did anyone ever see one and remember they colour they actually were. The Hardings cart has a parking brake.
View attachment 134720

A modern streetview and I think the chimney just to the right of the hoarding is one seen in the old pic.
View attachment 134721

An original pic is on the BHF here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/bread-vehicles.48124/post-600371
Here's a Hardings cart in approximately the correct colours, also, the chimney in the streetview pic is that of "Rose Cottage" and, as you say, is still there, John.Hardings outside Baptist Church Byron Rd Small Heath 1920.jpg

Here's a Hardings cart in approximately the correct colours, also, the chimney in the streetview pic is that of "Rose Cottage" and, as you say, is still there, John.View attachment 134722
Thanks John, excellent image, I will have to play with the 'Hue' control and edit my post ...:)
Looking at C.Waldron's cart I notice they advertise 'Home Made Pork Pies' and 'Snacks and Confectionery' but wondered whether they were part of the Hardings business, the cart looks so similar.

hi phil could you post a link please to street view so that i can take a better look at the cottages in flaxley road please..i know you have posted a static view but i want to zoom in on the cottages and street view is playing up for me...thanks phil

lyn

Excellent job, Phil, and certainly an improvement on the Google Street View! :)

Maurice
Hi, Maurice,

We have to keep our old brains active somehow !

It makes me wonder about any pics we see on the internet as they can all be digitally manipulated.

I notice Birmingham Library have the original image dated 1903 and looking at a 1930s aerial image of the area shows a much larger pub had replaced the one in the pic.

Phil

hi phil could you post a link please to street view so that i can take a better look at the cottages in flaxley road please..i know you have posted a static view but i want to zoom in on the cottages and street view is playing up for me...thanks phil

lyn
Hi Lyn,

I think the link below shows Rose Cottage but I could not zoom in much to confirm it although I think the name is over the door.
RoseCottage.jpg

Phil

Last edited:
Excellent job, Phil, and certainly an improvement on the Google Street View! :)

Maurice
Hi, Maurice, me again ...

Regarding my previous comment about digital manipulation of images, I was editing the colour of the Hardings cart when some bloke from the future popped in to try out his new smartphone 'Timetravel App' ...

Well it is a light hearted thread ...:D

Phil
T_tt_BullsHead4.jpg

thanks phil...its just that seeing that lovely old photo bought to mind something i was told over 40 years ago by the then mil about a well known person that was born in one of those properties..just doing some research but im guessing that prior to flaxley road it was called flaxley lane...will check out some old maps..

thanks phil

lyn

Phil,

I got my camera out for the first time in over two years last week, and yesterday I was formulating the rules for our Gardening Club's summer Photo Competition, something I got roped in to do as I have done it in past years. Reminds me of my National Service - never volunteer for anything!

But you're right, the days of "photographic evidence shows that" are long since gone. I used to have fun taking shots of a black & white hand holding a number of coloured tablets and capsules, and that sort of thing. Lots of fun, but it is time consuming, but then so are most hobbies.

Maurice :cool:

I was looking for another pic of the old Bulls Head before it was demolished but not found one yet.
The Manor House pub was built there as shown in the forum post below and that has been demolished.
The road system at what was the Manor House is undergoing a marked transformation.

The former public house was demolished a few years ago and it place taken by that growing industry, the car wash.

The Manor House was once a Stechford Landmark. Note the Deers Leap that was the Mitchell & Butlers trade mark.
index.php

One trend these days it appears is to distort photographic evidence in many ways. One, with which I am familiar, but not practising, is on heritage railways and other sites. Re-numbering of locomotives and other items solely for photographic purposes is just one instance - there are others. Another is 'WW2 days', where people parading around in German uniforms are quite noticeable even when the Axis forces never made it to our shores - other than the spies.. It will, I am sure, give future historians and users of places like BHF, a task knowing what is true and what is false. Most here on BHF have the advantage of knowing fake from fact but younger people usually do not have the memories of those times.

I've been trying to tidy up photo folders and files in my computers always a long job ...
I suppose every time I go out I'm caught in a pic somewhere ... and 40 robots presently looking at the BHF :)

Last edited:
Easy Row and Edmund Street and two policemen have time to pose in the pic. Adverts show folk could drink Rowntree's premium cocoa drink at breakfast and a choice of three different beers for the evenings.
For those with leisure time the London & North Western Railway advertise 'Day Trips' to Paris.
Folks with less time could visit Bell Vue Zoo in Manchester or the delights of Blackpool.
Adverts for three different starches which could help to keep clothes wrinkle free during the railway journeys.
'Miss Langtry' is mentioned in one theatre advert. Could she have been the famous Lily?

EdmundEasySt.jpg
Click it to enlarge and read the ads. Because of old cameras limitations fast moving folk showing as blurs have been digitally edited out. shoothill

Last edited:
Easy Row and Edmund Street and two policemen have time to pose in the pic. Adverts show folk could drink Rowntree's premium cocoa drink at breakfast and a choice of three different beers for the evenings.
For those with leisure time the London & North Western Railway advertise 'Day Trips' to Paris.
Folks with less time could visit Bell Vue Zoo in Manchester or the delights of Blackpool.
Adverts for three different starches which could help to keep clothes wrinkle free during the railway journeys.
'Miss Langtry' is mentioned in one theatre advert. Could she have been the famous Lily?

View attachment 135047
Click it to enlarge and read the ads. Because of old cameras limitations fast moving folk showing as blurs have been digitally edited out.
Great picture especially all those wonderful advertising posters

Towards the top left of the picture there seems to be a weather vane on the top of the chimney, a flagpole without a flag, and just to the right a PO Tower prototype.

All that traffic pollution (horse muck) :) an today those bobbies would be overweight boy racers in high powered sports cars chasing down the baddies.

I've been thinking about that L&NWR 'Day Trip' to Paris. Probably not our present idea of a 'there and back in a day' excursion. I suppose it was they could get you to Paris in a day, have fun for a few days, then back in a day.
DayTripParis.jpg
And I'm still thinking about Miss Langtry .. was she the very famous one ... would she appear in Brum?
Any idea's on the date of the street pic ?

I've been thinking about that L&NWR 'Day Trip' to Paris. Probably not our present idea of a 'there and back in a day' excursion. I suppose it was they could get you to Paris in a day, have fun for a few days, then back in a day.
View attachment 135048
And I'm still thinking about Miss Langtry .. was she the very famous one ... would she appear in Brum?
Any idea's on the date of the street pic ?

The revised 1902 and 1913 OS seem to show that the building with the posters was removed by 1913, if I’ve got the right bearings.

3AAEB4AD-FF1D-4158-B761-B2F50E5BCF91.jpeg73812DF2-510D-4319-A656-3B1F7D519F17.jpeg

Phil,

I'm sure that it was the same Lilly Langtry. She had a house in Bournemouth - now called the Lilly Langtry Hotel" - and certainly performed all over the place. From local newspapers, here are a few of the times she appeared in Brum:-
29 March 1904 - Empire Palace, Hurst Street
18 February 1905 - Bordesley Palace
28 April 1906 - Bordesley Palace
7 August 1906 - Gaiety
14 November 1911 - Empire Palace
In all cases she is billed as a comedienne.

Maurice

Regarding the photo in Post 2684 I like the dear old horse having a break - probably well earned - and tucking in to his nosebag. The ads also feature BSA bicycles, hats, starch and the Daily Sketch.
If it were not an early 20th.century photo I would say the guy on the right is using a mobile phone. :D

Mrs Lily Langtry formed a touring theatre company in 1882 touring the UK. However later that year she did her first tour of the US where it was said she made a 'fat profit'. Later in her career as an actress she appeared in sketches at vaudeville performances which could explain the description of her as a comedienne

Regarding the photo in Post 2684 I like the dear old horse having a break - probably well earned - and tucking in to his nosebag. The ads also feature BSA bicycles, hats, starch and the Daily Sketch.
If it were not an early 20th.century photo I would say the guy on the right is using a mobile phone. :D
I also looked at the horse and thought it will soon be producing some of the stuff Eric mentioned in post#2688 and had a close look at the man on the right but decided he was just scratching his ear and wasn't a time traveller ... :)

I'm still wondering about that L&NWR Day Trip to Paris. I suppose a very early morning start from New Street Station to London and then maybe a boat train to a channel port and then a train to Paris probably arriving late evening.

A copy of Bradshaws Guide of 1910 would give timetables. Maybe a library in Birmingham has one. They are available as a reprint. I was given a copy over forty years ago but gave it away about fifteen years ago. :dizzy: (what do you want to keep that for? Well, it might come in 'andy). Too late.
Of interest the L&NWR opened an office in Paris in 1899 so they must have expected travellers on their line to visit Paris. The advert may have been a sprat to catch a mackerel. The day trip would be very long probably, almost the 24 hours which, is legally I guess, a day. Maybe prospective travellers were encouraged to make it a longer visit.

I am sure that I have seen 'Day Trips' to Paris by coach advertised in my lifetime which when you look at them means overnight travel both before and after your 'day trip' at your destination. I have looked up my Bradshaw Continental Guide for August 1914, the month WWI broke out. A 9.00am departure from Charing Cross would get you to Paris for 4.40pm. On the other hand if you are willing to do the overnight trip you could get a 9.00pm train arriving Paris 5.40am. There are other trains with the South Eastern and Chatham Rlys advertising additional new services which would not have lasted very long with the war breaking out. The return fare second class was
£1, 19s 10d. Third class was available on some services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back