• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very clever to do that on a film and makes us think about what those soldiers went through.
Presumably each single frame of the film has to have colour added. It does seem to add more depth to the scenes and brings them to life.

According to the report on the BBC they also had lipreaders trying to interpret what people were saying or singing, and, where they could, added this to the film

Just remembered that I went to see 'How The West Was Won' at the Gaumont. It was in 'cinemascope' and you could see the joins in some of the sceneS.

Had another look at the pic in post#2075 showing an early 1950s scene outside the Bell Hotel, Northfield, and my laptop added colour ...:)
SatColNorthfield.jpg
In Northfield a man on the motorbike stares at the tram and hopefully he is not moving too fast otherwise he could run into the photographer. A group of women decide to have a chat as they are boarding the tram and two happy looking youngsters upstairs on the front seat maybe on their way to the Lickey Hills. The tram driver (motorman) stands looking in his mirror wondering when he can start off ... well that's my story about the pic ...
index.php

On Fox Hollies Road the bus driver and his mate wanted to be in this pic. The man walking on the pavement wasn't bothered and the lady pushing the pram was in a hurry. Those were the days when you could pay extra to buy a car with decorative wood fixed on it.
mof227sky3.jpg
It's from another post but with colour added ...
MOF 227 '00 Service Extra' on Fox Hollies Rd seems to be making a turn into Summer Rd as the driver and his mate look out at the camera. But why would they turn into Summer Rd when Acocks Green Bus Garage is 80 yds in front of them on Fox Hollies Rd ? No date for the pic but perhaps it was last day in service for the bus and they were doing a little swerve for the photographer !
index.php

Reviewing the Northfield photos, post 2588, having seen the black and white on before shows how colour brings out some details which were not prominent or missed on prior viewing.
The motor cyclist reminds me of someone who was the husband of a friend of the family. He lived in Hanging Lane which was not far away from where the photo was taken. Motor cycle and chairs were not that common; his chair was black. Behind the man and child, on the right of the photo appears to be the brown painted post for a bus stop plate; the plate is not yet fitted. This could suggest a date in 1952 as the trams ceased operation on the Rednal (70) and Rubery (71) routes (72 was a short working to Longbridge of the 70) in July of that year. Bus routes 62 and 63, respectively, replaced the trams.
The fine building with the turret and clock is still there but the Bell Inn, I understand is gone.

Looking at the motorbike sidecar it seems that passengers would have to climb over the back to get in and unroll the canvas cover if it was raining. It was normal for tram passengers (even unaccompanied children) to get on and off in the middle of the road but the BCT did fit Tideswell Lifeguards (cow-catchers) to the trams to scoop us up and prevent the wheels running over us if we fell in front of a tram ... and the young lad in the pic is only interested in the puppy he is holding ....:)

Didn't the top of the sidecar hinge on the side of the bike and there would be a door in the body of the sidecar. In late 1940's one of my uncles had such a combination and he would take me for a joyride usually along the dual carriage Fox Hollies as in #2589.

I did ride in my uncle's large two seater side car when I was a youngster and seem to remember getting in through a door on the near side. In the late 1950s I went to Nottingham and back in an open side car, low down shaped like a bullet, and remember the noise from the BSA Gold Star engine.

My abiding memory is the sound of the motor bike engine, inches from my right ear. And hoping the seemingly flimsy bracket that connected the side car to the bike would be secure and I wouldn't be cast adrift on one wheel!

I often look at the folks in these old pics and imagine what they were doing. This pic is tagged by shoothill as a Photographic Booth at a Birmingham Fair. That women on the right stares and marches towards the photographer, perhaps she about to thump him! The young lad by the umbrella looks round as if he is expecting some 'fun'.
Maybe it wasn't as I imagine it .... :)
photobooth.jpg

I often look at the folks in these old pics and imagine what they were doing. This pic is tagged by shoothill as a Photographic Booth at a Birmingham Fair. That women on the right stares and marches towards the photographer, perhaps she about to thump him! The young lad by the umbrella looks round as if he is expecting some 'fun'.
Maybe it wasn't as I imagine it .... :)
View attachment 129544
Screenshot 2018-12-10 at 22.27.49.png

I have an example of a picture of my great grandmother on my mother's side, that was on glass and blacked on the back. the glass was badly cracked, but a scan and a few hours in photoshop produced a nice picture.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/2254674/47814098

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back