• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great memories both, of a slower, more able time, how I loved being brought up in Birmingham, in the 50's and 60's. Nic I have never heard of a Marqaret before either, sounds foreign to me??

Handsworth was a higher class housing area I think. The row houses post # 1200 have a more substantial higher quality build about them than the ones I knew. Nice.

It's 1900 in the High St Aston, and the lady on the street corner appears to be having a discussion with some lad across the street and looking at her stance with hands on hips she could be shouting at him. She wears a pinny or overall so maybe rushed out on to the street with no hat in a time when everyone wore a hat ... all in my imagination of course !
Nicely dressed ladies off towards town on their bikes, and a well stocked furnishing and drapers store under that decorative brickwork.
Waggon2526Horses2520far2520left2520cornerHigh2520St_2520Aston2526Webster2520St_1900c.jpg

I like looking at the people in the old pics, a kerbside chat is in view, is he her dad, or teacher, or heaven forbid her boyfriend, they don't seem to have spotted the photographer who must be in the middle of the road, and now we can look at them over a hundred years later. The well dressed children in the photo only have eyes for the sweet shop window. The young lady's footware looks strange on my screen !
Villa_Rd_Handsworth.jpg

What a lovely old photo of Villa Road Old Mohawk. Before I saw the name I recognised the street as. although many years later than the photo, I walked up and down here very often when I was young, and in my days there were trams running down the road from the the Soho Road end (outside Mrs Payne's sweet shop) to Lozells! The church at the top of the road, plus the Wilkinsons shop was the giveaway!

What a lovely old photo of Villa Road Old Mohawk. Before I saw the name I recognised the street as. although many years later than the photo, I walked up and down here very often when I was young, and in my days there were trams running down the road from the the Soho Road end (outside Mrs Payne's sweet shop) to Lozells! The church at the top of the road, plus the Wilkinsons shop was the giveaway!
Hi Jayell,
The photo must have been taken before the trams where introduced, I remember using the number 5 tram on my way home from Handsworth Technical School, and in a radio shop somewhere on the right, I had my first sight of a television set receiving test transmissions from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

As far as I know, no forum member was ever caught in an old street pic. I suppose these days if you went for a walk through Brum it would be quite difficult to not be caught in a street pic. If you want to check
See some of the folks who brought the old street pics alive by just being in them ... click the icon to choose any one of 100 pics when a PDF file opens in your browser.

if you want instructions, they are in post#482

Last edited:
This your tram Old Mohawk? It was posted some time ago by someone on the forum. Tram terminus was Handsworth not Lozells!

Judy
Villa Road.jpg

This your tram Old Mohawk? It was posted some time ago by someone on the forum. Tram terminus was Handsworth not Lozells!

Judy
Hi Judy - Thanks for the pic, that is the tram and that is where I used to catch it. I remember they were very good in thick fog.
Phil

what a wonderful photo of high st aston phil...pretty sure the large bulding on the left is the house that jack built...everything you see has alas now gone...also love the villa road road one.

lyn

The building being demolished B'ham City Transport Light Cars, I worked there for 1 year (1954) prior to starting my apprenticeship

It was probably an obstacle course for anyone walking through this busy scene long ago in Jamaica Row. Maybe it was only like this at certain times of the day.
City-Jamaica-Row.jpg

The original pic is amongst some here - town was a bit 'cluttered' in the old days !

Last edited:
Interesting forum pic of a Bridge St West property in 1956 - did it fall down or was it being demolished ? Some items still on those shelves and someone's been stacking bricks. No barriers round the building and three persons caught in the pic. J&T.Walsh maybe had some connection with the building.
Bridge2520Street2520West2520back2520of25201282520Newtown2520-252020-11-1956.jpg

Old Mowhawk Your thread No. 1200 showing the picture of The Broadway certainly brought back many memories. I lived in Coombe Road for the first twenty years of my life and all of my childhood years were spent in and around those shops. They were no different to the photo in the 1940/50's. I remember going into Beard's and Longford's sweetshops during the period of food rationing and making those important decisions on how the sweet coupons would be spent. Like your goodself, I too passed my driving test at the test centre there - what a strain! Thanks for the memory. Regards. willey

Looks like a dolls' house when you open the front. Marvellous. Wonder if it was the poeple in the picture's house. What would the little building with the barred window have been used for I wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back