• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Charlie.............. it's a place in Cornwall that seems to have lots of buses going to it!!!

Still on the theme of Slade Road, here's another. I love the baby in the pram looking into the shop; "MUM, stop chatting, I want my dinner! " And a modern view for comparison, junction of Reservoir Rd and Slade Rd. Unbelievably some of the shops are still there. Viv

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384705392.209256.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384705392.209256.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 109
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384705413.869585.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384705413.869585.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 95
Still on the theme of Slade Road, here's another. I love the baby in the pram looking into the shop; "MUM, stop chatting, I want my dinner! " And a modern view for comparison, junction of Reservoir Rd and Slade Rd. Unbelievably some of the shops are still there. Viv
Looking at your pics Viv, I've just had a run up and down Slade Rd on Streetview - bit of a surprise but only to be expected, I suppose it is progress. I was looking at the shop on the corner of Hunten Hill and Slade Road, the nice little shop seen in the old pics now has steel shutters.....Phil
How it was.
Gravelly_Hill_Slade_Rd_9.jpg

Someone thought it was nice enough for a postcard.
Gravelly_Hill_Slade_Road_.jpg

Now
Slade.jpg

thats a smashing photo of slade road phil..thanks for posting it

lyn
Hi Lyn, Nearly all the photos showing in my posts in this thread are existing photos on the forum which I've made appear with some link text.
So it's many thanks to you and everyone else who have posted them, I just enjoy looking at them.... :)

Phil

Last edited:
Looking at your pics Viv, I've just had a run up and down Slade Rd on Streetview - bit of a surprise but only to be expected, I suppose it is progress. I was looking at the shop on the corner of Hunten Hill and Slade Road, the nice little shop seen in the old pics now has steel shutters.....Phil
How it was.
Gravelly_Hill_Slade_Rd_9.jpg

Someone thought it was nice enough for a postcard.
Gravelly_Hill_Slade_Road_.jpg

Now
Slade.jpg

There's a lovely little feature on the roof of your modern Slade Road view Phil (which is obscured by the tree in the postcard picture), Great that it's survived. It's often a very pleasant surprise when you consider what's disappeared around some of these old buildings. Viv.

Shows how bare, and soulless our towns and urbane areas have become, they somehow look more cosy than modern settings.paul

Everything has been tailored for the cars I think. The street where I live now has a bus lane, part has been widened to accommodate it, we have lost some trees for it, on one side so many park on the grass verge it becomes a quagmire and many gardens are block paved. The side road is humped, they put a blue sign on a post to denote the bus lane, were told to cut our trees bcause they obscure it when in full leaf. And people new to the area picticulary foreign students stand over the drive thinking its a bus stop or a taxi rank.

I remember coming down Hunton Hill from Gravelly Hill Station every work night in the late
1950's when I worked at New Street Station and caught the diesel into work and back every day. The
buildings with the gables at the bottom of the hill had some nice shops in them in those
days. It was a bit of a haul to walk up Hunton Hill in the mornings.

I have watched Slade Road change over the years and I like to remember it before it
became a jumble of mismatched buildings as it is these days. Thanks for posting the post cards.
I spied the cupola Viv. Nice to see that

I suppose we like the way it was, but enjoy the convenience of how it is now. There must have been people in the late 19th century who lived there, and were a little dismayed as they watched those houses being built over their lanes and fields. I have been looking at the narrow railway bridge (see pic below) and wondered whether Slade Rd was originally a narrow lane when the bridge was built. I notice on the present day streetview that a separate pedestrian tunnel has been built, and maybe the view today will be the 'old street pic' for our young grandchildren !

Sent from my iPad

I used to race from work winter nights and catch the train to New St to see my mum in hospital, the noise of the starlings outside on the ledges were deafening. Are they still there?

Re post 693. I lived in Hillside Rd, just to the right but out of picture. We had a number of apple trees in our garden and I used to take all my surplus apples to that shop on the right, owned by an Asian, he would sell them (they were Worcester pippins) and we would go 50/50 on the sales. I live there from 1962 to 1987. Eric

I used to race from work winter nights and catch the train to New St to see my mum in hospital, the noise of the starlings outside on the ledges were deafening. Are they still there?

Hi Nico,

The starlings have disappeared. It seems that whatever the council were doing to discourage them finally wprked.

Old Boy

Still on the theme of Slade Road ............... Viv

Sincere apologies all. I made an error in posting a comparison photo from Streetview of the corner of Slade Road and Reservoir Road. It's been pointed out to me that the old postcard is in fact the corner of Slade and George Road. So here's a comparison. And even better, the good news is that all the shops in view on the pc are still there! Fantastic. Viv.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384785166.935964.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384785166.935964.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 81
Viv. thats a much better comparison picture, gr8 to see the changes arent so great as we thought.
Your right Mohawk, some folks will look back on our today pics and see them with fondness like we do - funny though.
I think it is the cars that change things Nico to a certain extent mate.

All in all though we do still have the vast majority of the older buildings still standing.

I remember walking with my mom, dad, and sisters down Colmore Row, Nico, in around 1957 and being amazed at the amount of starlings , screeching and soaring above, must have been thousands, and thousands of them roosting along the whole street.paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back