• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another view of the Hydraulic plus a view of the old school which looks in worse condition on the photo than it does today.

Attachments

• Hockley Lodge Rd Hydraulic.jpg
    Hockley Lodge Rd Hydraulic.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Winson Green All Saints School .jpg
    Winson Green All Saints School .jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 108
Another view of the Hydraulic plus a view of the old school which looks in worse condition on the photo than it does today.
Two interesting photos. The one of 'The Hydraulic' look earlier than other photos on the forum, the large ornate lantern over the door has been replaced by a smaller one in other photos. The front of the school has been preserved but it seems to have become part of a factory or store these days.

Such a pity that councils don't appreciate their heritage. The Grammar school here is used for jumble sales. Whitefriars Monastery is empty and obliterated by the ring road, council have plans for The Charter House. I was lucky enough to have some triaing there. There is definitely an unnearthly presence. Have we a thread for haunted buildings? Nostalgic Nico

Re the pic in Phils post #501, the house must have been there when I went to All Saints, but blowed if I can remember it. I wonder if it was the caretakers house? Perhaps Carolina will know. By the way, I have edited post number 498, because silly me got my Saints the wrong way round.

Terry

Phil I cant remember a caretakers house, I would presume they were just ordinary households, but I cant confirm this. Here is a photo which my brother is the front row on the left hand side.

ALL SAINTS 1949.jpg

School caretakers' houses or school houses used to be cottagey affairs as I recall. Like the School House in Berkswell which I think comes under Brum's umbrella?
Our school caretaker's house (Mr Featherstone's) was of a decent size solid red brick, circa 1900's maybe, no front garden as it was in the school playground with a big rear garden and a vegetable garden. Sign of the times, he lost his vegetable patch to a carpark, then his job to the school being made a comprehensive with part of it being relocated. He was replaced by a nice little man we called Mr Magoo. Then it (Britian Road School) was pulled down and replaced by single story buildings. Its a shame as It was a lovely building with huge arched windows. I am smelling it again! The baby classed were single storey heated by goe stoves. Thanks for the memory.

Remember the George Formby song - 'Leaning on a lamppost at the bottom of our street' ... in Brum they leaned for the cameras ... all in the same direction !

The Champ

He's waiting for something to open !

Twelve years later it's the same place is it the same man ?
2nd pic in the linked post

He hadn't got a lamp post but he's cool !

Last edited:
I thought it was corner of the street, I could ad it to my repertoire. Or On Mother Kelly's doorstep. Maybe Big G sings it.

I thought it was corner of the street, I could ad it to my repertoire. Or On Mother Kelly's doorstep. Maybe Big G sings it.
You're right Nico, I have not heard the song for ages. Looking at the bloke in the 3rd pic I now notice he is leaning on a tram pole. There appears to be a bloke leaning backwards on a lamppost to the left of the door. There are a lot of people standing around so maybe they were waiting for the photographer to take a publicity pic for the opening of the large pub, and then maybe a free drink afterwards, but 'Cheshires Ales' I had not heard of them before.

You're right Nico, I have not heard the song for ages. Looking at the bloke in the 3rd pic I now notice he is leaning on a tram pole. There appears to be a bloke leaning backwards on a lamppost to the left of the door. There are a lot of people standing around so maybe they were waiting for the photographer to take a publicity pic for the opening of the large pub, and then maybe a free drink afterwards, but 'Cheshires Ales' I had not heard of them before.
Well I have a mate that's taken up the ukelele. If you like a ukelele lady, ukelele lady like a you, one of Nan's songs. Not heard of Cheshire Ales either. I would imagine there were not so many beer names around then but I could be wrong. Often am.

That was interesting David. Do you say Smerrick? Mum called it Smerrick. I like Smithwicks porter brewed in Dublin I think.

I had heard of Cheshire's Ales In the Smethwick area but it took a little research to track them down.
Thanks for that interesting link David with information that Mitchells and Butlers bought Cheshires in 1914. The 1912 photo is the latest date I have seen of the Bulls Head and maybe any later photos would show the 'Cheshire Ales' sign replaced with M & B.

Here is another Cheshire Breweries pub C1900.Picture supplied by Sandwell public library

Attachments

• Smethwick,Sponcroft Tavern.C1900.jpg
    Smethwick,Sponcroft Tavern.C1900.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 63
Cheshire seems to still have a lot of Hand pumped stuff. Maybe Baz would know? There is one called Spitting Feathers. Strong enough maybe to knock his hairnet off? Nico:unconscious:
I like a good hand pumped pale ale these days.

That 'mystery man' in post #41 is still running and he can time travel, and Mary Quant didn't see him ..... well it is Bank Holiday Monday ...:rolleyes:
FiveWays-HagleyRd19661.jpg
Is that car behind the two on the cenbtral reservation a Triumph 1500. If so 1966????

Cheshire seems to still have a lot of Hand pumped stuff. Maybe Baz would know? There is one called Spitting Feathers. Strong enough maybe to knock his hairnet off? Nico:unconscious:
I like a good hand pumped pale ale these days.

Nico I think you are confusing breweries in Cheshire with Cheshire's Brewery in Smethwick. Understandable because that is why it took me a time to track down the Smethwick Brewery.
As for Smithwick's Brewery in Ireland, I have been to the one in Kilkenny.

Is that car behind the two on the cenbtral reservation a Triumph 1500. If so 1966????

I think it is a Triumph 1300 or Triumph Toledo which was sold as " A limousine in all but its length". This car was later sold as part of the Triumph Dolomite range which annoyed me as the owner of the larger Dolomite with a 1854cc engine. Picture is definitely 1966 as this all disappeared within a couple a year of that date.

I think it is a Triumph 1300 or Triumph Toledo which was sold as " A limousine in all but its length". This car was later sold as part of the Triumph Dolomite range which annoyed me as the owner of the larger Dolomite with a 1854cc engine. Picture is definitely 1966 as this all disappeared within a couple a year of that date.
Yes had an 1850 Dolly myself company car when at Triumph (JRT). Great car advanced for its day (16Valve), fast comfortable....cortina bashers we called them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back