• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi sylv;
i did say i think it was around the parilment street and my relie my mother and her patents was at no 3 parilment stret not jenings carts
yes jenning cart was in parilment street sylv; i think you have slightly miss judge hat i was saying but there again its probaly the way i put it
i aid not farfrom parilment street i do not think for one moment it was parilment strret i suggested it was not far from parilment street
my grand mother jenning lived in parilment stret with mr jennings carters i did not have the number of parliment street house and jenning
house but if some one and get to the files john did give me the house number of both my grand mother jenning and jelfs my mothers house in parilment s
street but i just cannot recall it back on my files for some reason ;and i wil be taking a longer study of this picture todayto try and establish excactly where this street is on the subject of the crunched up hair on my study years ago about people thats howthe poor family done more or less that way ; where as the the slightly better familys [ call them if you like middle class would havegone to goldbergs for ribbon and they would hve tied it up in styleor pony tails
or should i say wringlets as i recall ;
but i kno it was most certainly not in parilment street where the kids was playing with it,
It could have been any street may be bracebridge street after all the street of aston was not much different from another one
apart from albert road and the other side streets of aston;
best wishes sylv; alan; Astonian;;

hi oldmowhawk ;
that was an icidence of the case that the tram came off the track for some reason of the other as it took the corner
because i say beleve me or not becaus i was walking pass with my parents and recall the scene along with the big break down truck
at that particular incidend i was with my mother and grand mother whom was living and running the coffee house down on
new cannal street and we had to cross over the rd to get by and cross back over to carrs lane to walk down the alley way back to the
Coffee shop it was there B/B for transport driver and for the general public of course all the local factorys around the area
plus gran wanted to call in at a shop of guns which was a relie ; jelfs gun shop in carrs lane in those days hom was a relative ;
they sold shotguns and afew sports wear ; as soon as i seen th picture it came straight into my head of memory ;
best wishes Astonian ;; Alan;;

Hi Astonian - Interesting to hear that you saw that incident. I suppose the tram may have been going too fast round the corner. According to the story in the old post in the other thread, the removal of the overhead wires meant that the trams had to coast down Dale End and round into Carrs Lane on their own momentum. Maybe it was difficult to judge the speed on that corner.
oldmohawk

Another policeman on traffic duty, he's at Gravelly Hill/Tyburn Road Erdington in 1938, but there is no traffic !
He's seen the photographer, but what sort of signal is his left arm giving ?
Perhaps he is new to the job, and someone appears to have thrown a small hoop over his head !
img698.jpg

Last edited:
There is a picture on here somewhere of a tram on it's side at that corner and read somewhere that the last of trams were pushed down Car's Lane to a breakers yard or transportation thereto. The sevice in the picture may have been discontinued way before and there are no overhead power lines. Ah yes...read the link...hmm. memory not so bad after all. I did say the end of an era and realy this photo is one of the great Birmingham shots just because of that...a bad turn for me anyway...pun intended. It seems that the tram has already lost it's upstairs windows. A companion shot would be the lined up trams on the centre lines of the Lickey Hills route...awaiting the same fate...again a photo on here.
It might be said that Birmingham was on it's way down from being the world renowned manufacturing centre at this point. Around about then the population level was at it's highest. The loss of the trams was co-incidental and not linked. Still, symbolic maybe...and sad.

Post #214. The two gentlemen standing on the corner:

Fred to Bill: 'Ere I told you we shouldn't 'ave thrown that 'oop at the copper. We're on camera now and we'll never get away wiv it.'
Bill to Fred : 'Good shot though wern't it'?

Hi Charlie, yes the way the gent on the left is scratching his chin he looks like he is thinking up some story.
I'm glad someone else can see the hoop, I know police helmets have chin straps but that one does look rather oversize !
The lady in the photo also seems to be making a strange movement with her left arm.
I wonder if they have seen that running time traveller bloke from #41 ?
oldmohawk

I would venture to suggest that the pram/trolley was used by the photographer to carry his camera, plates and tripod around the streets...

I would venture to suggest that the pram/trolley was used by the photographer to carry his camera, plates and tripod around the streets...
Yes I suppose photographers had a lot to carry around in those days, although the cart looks rather unsuitable for carrying cameras and tripods etc.
I have looked at other old photos and have seen those type of wheels on prams of the period, but the bamboo and basketware make the cart decorative.

Re post 214 if this is the junction of Gravelly Hil/Tyburn Road where are the sand hills which dominated this junction and were at the start of Tyburn Road.

Could the policeman be the original gangam style dancer?
Hi Carolina - I come to the conclusion that the policeman is gesturing to the photographer and telling him to 'move on' or something stronger. The 'hoop' I can see on the policemans's head is probably part of a picture on the advertising hoarding. As I studied the pic, the time traveller from post #41 appeared running out of the wrong side of the public convenience....

Re post 214 if this is the junction of Gravelly Hil/Tyburn Road where are the sand hills which dominated this junction and were at the start of Tyburn Road.
Hi Sylvia - I think I can see a part of a sandy looking hill behind the building above the policemans's head. The large rough boarding by the building on the left is unusual, too rough to paste adverts on. Other features in the pic are the thin poles I can see, they might be for the long wire aerials needed for radios in those times. I think I can make out the name 'Tyburn Rd on the front of what looks like the public convenience.

Love this thread and the comments that go with the photos. Thank you,
Sheri
Hi Sheri - It is intended as a light-hearted look at some of the forum pics as can be seen in the pic below. It makes a change from some of the gloomy items on the TV news lately...

timetraveller41.jpg

This copy of an existing photo on the forum has had a figure digitally added as mentioned in posts.

And again I couldn't see the policeman until I switched browsers from Firefox to Safari. Seems there must be something in the coding of the forum that isn't entirely compatible with FF. :chargrined:

I'm with Firefox Oisin, works OK for me.
But them I'm SO computer savvy I put Bill Gates to shame (not)!!!

I'm with Firefox Oisin, works OK for me.
But them I'm SO computer savvy I put Bill Gates to shame (not)!!!
Must be Firefox combined with some other settings on this Macbook then. Ah well, no big deal I can always switch to Safari. :cupcake:

A group of young girls playing some sort of game on the footpath in Suffolk St in 1895.
I like the way young girl on the opposite path strides along, maybe carrying her dad's lunch, as she looks over to a girl on this side clapping hands.
The horse looks a bit 'fed up' probably waiting a long time for his driver who may have popped into the Wheatsheaf for a quick pint.
zaq.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a game of marbles. Wonder why the horse doesn't just wonder off? Ten children in the photo and only one adult - all the adults must be in the pub. Viv.

Was it different all those years ago with young children out on their own ?
A little chap pauses with his shopping outside the Kings Arms on the corner of William Street and Bishopgate Street, and maybe that's his sister walking in the road carrying the rest of the shopping. It reminds me of going by bus from Perry Barr for a day in Sutton Park with my cousin. She was 9 and I was 8, and I had a problem because I ripped my bus ticket into tiny little bits. A ticket inspector got on and made me fit them all back together on the seat like a jigsaw puzzle. A Park Keeper stopped us in the park and checked our tickets to see if we had paid to get in ....
22~9.jpeg

Last edited:
I certainly think it was Old Mohawk. I can remember going all over the place either by myself or with my sister when we were quite young and growing up in Handsworth. In fact I was only discussing this with my sister the other day. She remembered us going to Lewis's with my Dad and buying a dog from their Pet Department. She grabbed the dog and ran off - going home by herself from Lewis's which involved crossing two main roads in the town centre to get to the bus stops in front of Snow Hill station. She couldn't have been more than about 8 or 9 years old. People wouldn't let that happen these days. I do remember myself getting on the bus without any money a couple of times when I was young, and the conductor would take your name and address so that the bus company could get your fare!!! Can you imagine that happening these days?

Hi Jayell - Nice story about your sister, I bet she got told off when your dad caught up with her. My brother-in-law at the age of 8 got sent into Birmingham to buy a pair of shoes. He got off the bus by Greys in Bull Street went into a shop called Trueform, tried on the shoes, bought them, got on a bus and came home. As an 'old-un' I sometimes wonder whether I see too many 'dangers' these days.

Hi Jayell - Nice story about your sister, I bet she got told off when your dad caught up with her. My brother-in-law at the age of 8 got sent into Birmingham to buy a pair of shoes. He got off the bus by Greys in Bull Street went into a shop called Trueform, tried on the shoes, bought them, got on a bus and came home. As an 'old-un' I sometimes wonder whether I see too many 'dangers' these days.

Nowadays your B I Law, would order his shoes on the internet, and pay with his debit card.

Nick

HI GUYS
Just been reading peoples stories of the children whom used to be let out on there own and some people was saying about the dangers
way back in the forties and fifties these horrible creatures of men was around in those days beleive me
and in the earlys of brum almost every bus stopped out side henry and greys deparment so it could have been the case of jumping on the bus at home and get off in the city shop and step into the store of one or the other and get back home safely bear in mind there was good bus conductoring staff in those days
i myself used to walk from lichfielfd rd aston cross to hockley brook and up the hill to hamstead rd and throgh the grt barr to theasy estate bus terminus
most sunday morning whe i was fed up at the age of seven and eight on one occasion i was stoped by that copper at hockley brook
and it was early morning summer days as i was turning the corner of hunters rd to start to walk up to the pallidiuim picture house when he came around the corner he stopped me and said where are you going young man ; said to my auntys in theasy estates terminus she lived down by the hill by the terminus
he said you are gonna walk that fa i said yes ;he said its along far away i never answered back he said does your mom and dad know i told a lie ad said yes
are you sue he said okay they never had the walkie talkie in those days and the old blue boxes was well away from him so he let me contiue my walk
the only way then in those days for me was to try and remember the old 29 A bus route i used to watch way around the corners the bus took
i eventual arrive by lunch time aunty would say hello Alan does your mom know you are here i dont think she really wanted me there at times
because we was the poor relations of the familys and when i was a baby she wanted toadopt me my mother said no ;
but there house and stannard of living was posh i was abit frighened how to move around the house my step cousin was a posh kid he had every think
i had nothink only a wooden top he was brought up by my auntie and her husband doug he was a possh guy as well
they sat at the dinne table eating all the posh food and the table all laid out posh knife fork and spoons we was not like that ;in our house
but getting track i was 7-8 years old walking the street in the early morning but the copper did go back to the station and put his report in and they sent one aroun to my mothers whom during after arriving safely my mother rang auntie up and asked was there she said okay he is playing with roy
she put meon the bus back to hocley and the number eight bus safely i got home
but another occasion i went to woolworths on aston cross all on my own same age it was a morning time again where i was followed by an old gentleman
around the store i had noticed him and in those dayd woolworths stores had very low counters and i sen this man walking around the counter from the
other side he spoke to me and said do you want some money i never said nothink and moved away around to another counter i was loking for the little sixpenny camera i wanted he kept folowing me around after a litle time when i found he camera i was picking it up and across the couner he was beconing me to come to him he had a wallet in his hand and opened it up it was jammed packed with money the old pound notes i run out and dashed home and told mother she took me back to the shop but he had gone so these nasty people was around in those days but as kids we was only told of if we play up and do not go to sleep old man
wee willy winkle or the boggie man wil come and get you but it was rare to hear of children missing and murdered until the sixtys
best wishes ASTONIAN;

By george I think weve solved the Policeman hoop riddle....
Maybe he's using an early prototype of those mobile phone earpieces you see sticking out of some peoples ears.
In those days they were much more actual phone like :) - with external aeriel - us brummies were so ahead of the times !!

Yikes - Could our running man be on a public convenience run - bit like a pub run ?
Wonder where his next stop is ?

Stephen, I think you've hit the nail on the head in both counts! :encouragement:

post 228 - I notice most girls wearing white apron like things - Im guessing these were like pinnies to keep the dresses clean ?

Nowadays your B I Law, would order his shoes on the internet, and pay with his debit card.
My brother-in-law likes going round car boot sales which are possibly immune from interference from the internet ...

HI GUYS
Just been reading peoples stories of the children whom used to be let out on there own and some people was saying about the dangers
way back in the forties and fifties these horrible creatures of men was around in those days beleive me
I tend to agree with you Alan, maybe we were lucky or streetwise as you must have been. The young lad standing so casually with his shopping caught my eye, and then I notice the young girl walking in the road. The photographer was taking a photo of that fine building but we are looking at the people in his photo...

By george I think weve solved the Policeman hoop riddle....
Maybe he's using an early prototype of those mobile phone earpieces you see sticking out of some peoples ears.
Yikes - Could our running man be on a public convenience run - bit like a pub run ?
Wonder where his next stop is ?
I have seen photos on the internet where people in 1930s films appear to be using mobile phones, but with computer digital manipulation we can't believe photos these days !
The running man ! We haven't really solved the puzzle of that photo in post #41, maybe there is an answer somewhere but even Google doesn't seem to know.

post 228 - I notice most girls wearing white apron like things - Im guessing these were like pinnies to keep the dresses clean ?
It seems to be almost a girls uniform in Victorian and Edwardian times. In the pic in post #228, the thing that caught my eye was the girl walking down
the opposite footpath looking across at the girl clapping. I think the girls may have been playing 'jackstones' which I remember playing but have forgotten the rules.

In 1952 you couldn't even look at the wheels of a tram without getting caught in some photographer's pic.
They are looking down at the wheels, but maybe they should be looking up because it appears someone has nicked the wires.
It is a wire-less tram !

Have been away for a few days so I am now catching up on posts. The reason that the the tram is shown without wires was that they had previously been removed when the services in Carrs Lane were withdrawn. However after the last tram day the trams still had to be taken from Witton to Kyotts Lake to be scrapped and this was the only route with rails still in the road so that they had to freewheel down Carrs Lane. I would say that the break down truck was there just in case one of the trams came to a stop.

I am certain your comment about the breakdown wagon is correct David. I have seen this pic before (not here I add) and I have often wondered if all the cars being moved to Kyotts Lake Road did in fact make the journey without assistance of the breakdown lorry and crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back