• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be really losing it cos I can see the Heinkel bubble car but I can't see the traffic cop or the Mary Quant girl. :blue:

The traffic lights have failed and a policeman has the awkward job of controlling traffic on Five Ways. He's only got white covers on his sleeves, 'hi-vis' jackets had not been invented back then. The car behind him almost brushes his back, and it isn't a Ford and I can't see the driver's hat. I remember driving in those sort of jams and often glared at a traffic cop when I thought he was favouring traffic from other directions.
It's mentioned in the post where the original pic was lost from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20114&p=160677#post160677
The lady in the white coat looks bemused by the scene....
FiveWays-HagleyRd1966.jpg

I think you're right Mohawk. The traffic policeman does seem to have his right hand in just the place to receive a discreet 'favour' from the Fiat driver passing behind. Allegedly:emmersed:

I must be really losing it cos I can see the Heinkel bubble car but I can't see the traffic cop or the Mary Quant girl. :blue:
Just look down the right hand edge of the picture.

Carolina. I was working for Shell Mex & BP round the corner from TI House although I later worked for a TI company and once visited TI House.

That 'mystery man' in post #41 is still running and he can time travel, and Mary Quant didn't see him ..... well it is Bank Holiday Monday ...
FiveWays-HagleyRd19661.jpg

This copy of an existing photo on the forum has had a figure digitally added as mentioned in posts.

Last edited:
Ha, ha Phil. Well he'll get there quicker than by car! Anyone remember what 'Long John' was on the side of the bus? Viv.

I can see now why I missed the copper and Mary; on my screen the picture is cut off just in front of the Volvo. :crushed:

I can see now why I missed the copper and Mary; on my screen the picture is cut off just in front of the Volvo. :crushed:

Oisin, You must have your picture too wide for your screen. Click on View in your memu bar then click on Zoom and click on one step below your present setting. Normal settings are 125% for a wide screen and 100% for a normal screen.

It's just an forum pic of Wheeler St in the 1960's, but the young girl on the left is either deep in thought or has seen a cyclist fall off his bike because he was looking at the photographer instead of where he was going....
That man walking down the footpath has spotted something good in a shop window....
wheelerst.jpg

Last edited:
I reckon she's just been to the dental clinic (shudders)
You could be right Charlie .... I suppose the photographer was taking a photo of the new tower block building but had people in his pic ...anyway it's nice to see the photo....

I think the bloke looking in the window has probably just spotted himself! He's thinking "Wow, am I looking good today". Viv.

hi oisin
i went there to see him at the plazza myself i was a big fan of him i had most of the records he made sad how he just weaned out of the scene really especialy making records the last one i recall was called [ let he heartaches begin ] do you know i still sing that myself from time to time even today
great singer and performer and voice do you recall PJ Proby when he split his pants there as well ;
there was cracking bands and singers there also i sen dave de and is band there years later i went to see them at the tower ballroom
its was a sixtys night and sixtys prices i paid five bob that night at the tower and i chatted with them after the performance for age it was a great night along marty wilds brillient best wishes Atonian;

The shock of seeing two mini cars mating in a public street. Even the mature gent is averting his gaze in embarrassment!

Hi Stephen - I didn't actually post the pic in #170, it is a link to a web pic, and the link under the pic is to the original post on the forum...the links are working...:encouragement:

There is a policeman in this pic, I think he's given up and he's in danger of being run down by a bus.
It is Lancaster Place in 1965 and they are building the concrete around the traffic jams.
lancaster_place-l.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back