• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PC is very aware of the camera, perhaps he had stopped the traffic on the nearside of the road so that the photographer could get his picture. Wonder what the man under the awning is carrying. Viv.

smashing idea for a thread phil....this one has to be one of my favourites...taken more or less opposite my house in villa st....this lady had seen the photographer and it looks like if he comes any closer to her shes going to clatter him with her broom lol..

lyn

smashing idea for a thread phil....this one has to be one of my favourites...taken more or less opposite my house in villa st....this lady had seen the photographer and it looks like if he comes any closer to her shes going to clatter him with her broom lol..
lyn
VillaStBroomLady.jpg
VillaStBroomLady.jpg
Hi Lyn
A super photo, I had not seen that one before. She certainly looks a formidible lady and could probably use her broom like Nora Batty did. I wonder how much of the footpath she was going to clean ?
Phil

Last edited:
The PC is very aware of the camera, perhaps he had stopped the traffic on the nearside of the road so that the photographer could get his picture. Wonder what the man under the awning is carrying. Viv.
I've seen a number of photos on the forum where policemen are controlling traffic, often wearing white macs. Probably not their favourite job. These days they might ask why you were taking a photo in a public place. I think the man under the awning could be carrying a tin bath.

Hi Lyn
A super photo, I had not seen that one before. She certainly looks a formidible lady and could probably use her broom like Nora Batty did. I wonder how much of the footpath she was going to clean ?
Phil

phil i can vaughly remember this lady...i just wished that i knew who took that photo because he/she may well have turned round and took one of my house..and just how many folk do we see now sweeping outside their houses and cleaning the steps...ive always said that the housing back then was not the best but most people tried their best to keep them clean and tidy...if you look closely at that pic above the door on the left there is a line of what looks like little bottles...my friend joanie doyle lived up the entry on the right

lyn

Last edited:
Brummies hard at work in the old Bull Ring, they were too busy to see the the camera but a shopper has. A man sits on a wall just looking....
barrowboys.jpg

Hawthorn Rd, I remember it well, it seemed to have a shop for everything. The man, the lady, and the collie dog seem to be looking at something, wonder what it was ?

Hi Stephen - I like that song when Gladys Knight sings it and here's the way we were in the middle of the swinging sixties. A young lad has to wait with his posh scooter while his sister chats to her friend. A youngster licks his ice lolly while he guards his mom's shopping bag.
img118.jpg

Last edited:
So you want to take my photo!
It's 1900 and he strikes a nice pose. He could not have imagined that over 100 years later with some wizard electrickery, we could all look at him on the forum !
Old_Courthouse_Courthouse_Yard_.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought about the Dad pushing the pram in the first picture, we don’t know that there’s a baby in the pram, perhaps they’ve had a house party the night before, and he’s taking the ‘empties’ back to the ‘Outdoor’
Nick
:sneakiness:

Hi Brummie Nick,
I like it, you could be right, but if he's got empties he would have turned left on to the pub car park.
He is heading for Thornbridge Avenue and I remember a small coal yard on the corner of Tideswell Road and Thornbridge Ave. In the 40's and 50's, prams were sometimes used to carry sacks of coal... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back