• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
A light hearted look at some of our old street pics. I enjoy looking at the buildings but often see a pic with people in it and find myself trying to imagine what they were doing, and what they were thinking ....
Some photos are links to other member's posts and will not be visible unless you are logged in.
A 1940's dad taking baby for a walk. Is this the only old photo on the forum showing a man pushing a pram? 1940's dads did not usually push prams unless the wife was walking alongside, but this dad took the pram out and so he's on the forum !
attachment.php

index.php

edited by oldmohawk

Last edited:
I love this 1930s photo, its sunny with blossom on the trees, nice bus shelters. That bowler hatted man marching towards Snow Hill Station, he's in a hurry, maybe he's late back from lunch. Is that a teenage schoolboy arm-in-arm with his mum, probably hoping his school mates did not see the photo !
Colmore_Row_1930s~0.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favourites, no one has spotted the camera. A man in bowler hat striding towards the council house, maybe his secretary striding behind him, long dress swirling trying to keep up with her boss? Further down New Street, a lady strolls, nice long dress and sunshade, maybe afternoon-tea is planned at the Midland Hotel ?
NewStreet.jpg

Last edited:
An early 1900s photo. Those Window Cleaners in Corporation St using possibly the longest single ladders seen on the forum. A couple running across the street in front of the carriage, the lady with the white hat seems to be stumbling – hope she was ok !
index.php

Last edited:
Old Mohawk, great pics and love your captions, I do that with pictures too, usedto get me into trouble at school for day dreaming, but stood me in great stead for my English O level when the first paper was to look at the picture supplied and write a story about it - it was a deserted train station at night with a steam train running at the platform and a tall man with a trilby and long macintosh on - could have written forever onit!!
Sue

Brilliant take on these old photos Phil ! It really makes you look into a picture. Viv.

The woman on the right has bought herself something, she has a carrier bag with L. G........something on it. To the extreme left in the background, there's another woman checking out the items in Henry's window, must be very interesting to stop and do that in the rain. Viv.

A happy crowd round the fountain in 1901 just having fun, I suppose if it was today they would be looking at their iPhones. A lady on the right has a nice striped sunshade ... sun tans weren't fashionable then.
Image9_The_fountain_1901.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of demolition around, has that lady lost her way in the changing scenery?
img135.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back