• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 'leaning' bus some of us were looking at on the forum back in 2013
index.php
index.php

Any ideas when and where this accident happened to this bus ??
Thank you all in advance .... ragga :redface:

That's a very old bus, I don't know about that one but I recall a bus and fire engine crashing at the traffic lights in Handsworth, Villa Road I think, if my memory is not playing games. :(

An old post explained what probably happened to the bus ...:)
The photos were taken in the yard of Witton tram depot, which was the nearest Corporation property to where the incident occurred. Apparently the bus "fell into some roadworks" but details of exactly what and where elude me. I wonder if the damage to the cab (i.e. most of it missing) was the result of rescuing the driver.

I don't think this is the bus that was in the accident with the Fire Engine as the report states it was a Daimler COG5 whereas the bus in 2221, I think was an AEC Regent

What was the route number of the buses that turned from Hill Street into Paradise Street.
stitcher

The driver was in a hurry round that island and he's noticed that he has been caught in an old street pic !
View attachment 115901
As an ex bus driver I do feel that the bus would topple over before the platform touched the road. I have asked several other ex bus drivers and they all agree with me, none of us ever experienced the platform grounding either on Midland red or wmpt
front or rear access vehicles. We do also agree that the body would press on the tyres on some routes.

What was the route number of the buses that turned from Hill Street into Paradise Street.
stitcher
I am not sure. I think it could have been the no. 21 as that used to run via Holloway Head to Five Ways although the NS21 ran along Broad Street. However I think it might have been one of the buses that turned down Suffolk Street and stopped outside the Technical College.

The tag with the photo (from shoothill) reads 'laying telephone wires in Colmore Row' and some youngsters of the early 1900s seem interested in the work. The girl in the centre appears to have a basket suspended in front of her, the man standing in the hole has pliers held in his belt and the cable looks substantial. That office building at No 88 does not appear to be there today ... maybe it isn't Colmore Row.
ColmoreCables.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg
The tag with the photo (from shoothill) reads 'laying telephone wires in Colmore Row' and some youngsters of the early 1900s seem interested in the work. The girl in the centre appears to have a basket suspended in front of her, the man standing in the hole has pliers held in his belt and the cable looks substantial. That office building at No 88 does not appear to be there today ... maybe it isn't Colmore Row.
View attachment 116071

A complete long shot, but in April 1900 the last length of the Birmingham to London Underground cable had been laid...”the 152 yard leaden snake had entered the pipe an hour or two before near the PO yard at Hill Street, and uncoiling from a large drum, had been pulled through by a rope...”

Does it say Office at the top of the picture?

Last edited:
View attachment 116075

A complete long shot, but in April 1900 the last length of the Birmingham to London Underground cable had been laid...”the 152 yard leaden snake had entered the pipe an hour or two before near the PO yard at Hill Street, and uncoiling from a large drum, had been pulled through by a rope...”

Does it say Office at the top of the picture?
It does say 'Office' and if it is Colmore Row it and No 88 would be on the churchyard side of the street.

They're out shopping in the Bull Ring market, maybe the man would rather be somewhere else. Their child had to come shopping but looks content. The lady holding the plastic box looks annoyed about something. The photo was taken in December 1987 ... seems like only yesterday to me ...:)
BullRing1987_iOS.jpg

The tramcar featured in some posts in this thread was a favorite for most special tours which were arranged for afficionados. The reason for this is that the tram was different from the rest of the fleet in its more modern construction and was, in fact, the last tram built for the erstwhile Birmingham Corporation Tramways Department.

I suppose the only person who definitely had to be in this pic on the corner of Highgate Rd/Queen St was the armed guard. The others had never seen anything like it and were probably feeling lucky to be alive having survived a very intense air raid the night before on 19th November 1940. Casualties that night (approximately) 400 fatal, 540 seriously wounded, and 540 slightly injured as described in a quote below from the 'Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Association'. The destination blind of bus BOP 814 suggests it was on the way back to Highgate Garage.
OverturnedBus.JPG
The pic was previously on the forum click/here.
(BARRAS)West Midlands Police Records Raid 43 -19th /20th November 1940 Air Raid Warning Red was received at 6.50 p.m. on Tuesday 19th November and All Clear White at 4.29 a.m. on Wednesday 20th November. During this period an intense raid was made on all districts of the City. (C District - Gerrard Street, George Street Garage, ICI Witton;, D-Division - Nechells Gas Company, GEC, Hughes, BBC, Queen Street, Aston Hall Road; E-Division - Coventry Road, Stratford Road) The areas least affected were Kingstanding, Harborne, Northfield, Kings Norton, Stechford, Kings Heath. 18 Parachute mines (4 unexploded), 677 High Explosive, including about 42 Delayed Action type, 243 Incendiary Bomb incidents have been reported. 17 of the incendiary bombs were of the oil type. The first report of a bomb being dropped was at 7.25 p.m. Extensive damage to property was caused by exploding parachute mines, High Explosive bombs and fires. About 100 factories were damaged, including 25 important places. 8 large and 50 subsidiary water mains were broken or damaged, and approximately 150 gas mains were damaged during the raid. Casualties (approximately) 400 fatal, 540 seriously wounded and 540 slightly injured. The following police stations were damaged: Lozell’s Road - Inspectors House was damaged by blast from a High Explosive bomb exploding in the carriageway. Duke Street - garage damaged by incendiary bomb. Hay Mills -damage to windows and roof by incendiaries. In addition to this the Police Social Club premises, Tally Ho, Pershore Road, were seriously damaged by fire from incendiary bombs. New Street Railway Station was damaged by High Explosive bombs and was closed for a short period owing to the presence of a Delayed Action bomb. Snow Hill Railway Station was damaged when a parachute mine exploded in Colmore Row. Other notable places damaged were: St. Phillip’s Cathedral, 3 hospitals (slight damage), a number of bank premises, large store (Grey’s, Bull Street) and other shopping and business premises. Many roads were temporarily blocked by debris and the streets in the centre of the City were covered with plate glass. Birmingham Fire Services Air Raid Action -12.00 a.m. Wednesday, November 20th 1940 Summary No. 81 Air Raid Warning - Yellow at 13.01 p.m. and 18.42 p.m. Purple at 18.46 p.m. Red at 18.51 p.m. and White at 13.19 p.m. and 04.31 a.m. Number of incidents dealt with 378; Number of fires caused by enemy action 338; Number of fires caused not by enemy action 3; Number of A.F.S. Appliances engaged 381; Number of R.B. Appliances engaged 60; Number of Jets 472. General Report: The air raid warning in Birmingham on this night was given at 1842 hours and from 1855 hours when the first fire call was received, the raid quickly developed in an intensive form and was widespread. A turntable had already been sent to West Bromwich from Birmingham where air raids fires had been caused and the Birmingham Services were soon fully engaged. The fires were spread over a large area of the City, including Bordesley Green, Small Heath, and the south side of the City, but these were all under control by dawn. This raid was probably the heaviest so far experienced in Birmingham and several Fire Stations had to be evacuated during the raid as a result of unexploded bombs or mines in the vicinity. Water conditions were not good owing to fractured mains, and water in some instances had to be relayed over long distances

See that little lad (lower right) caught in this pic in his short trousers and braces ... looks like he's been out playing all day ... maybe he had come up to town on his own.
I notice a poster for a boxing match in the 'Big Top' and possibly the name of a boxer 'Bruce Woodcock'.
The pic is only visible if logged in (linked from another forum post)
index.php

Last edited:
See that little lad (lower right) caught in this pic in his short trousers and braces ... looks like he's been out playing all day ... maybe he had come up to town on his own.
I notice a poster for a boxing match in the 'Big Top' and possibly the name of a boxer 'Bruce Woodcock'.
The pic is only visible if logged in (linked from another forum post)
index.php
The question May have already been asked and answered, but is this not Victoria Square where the 5a used to start from? The picture looks late 40s early 50s, however the reason for my question is that if this is Victoria Square, my Dad used to work for a stockbroking firm located in the Royal Exchange building. Certa

The question May have already been asked and answered, but is this not Victoria Square where the 5a used to start from? The picture looks late 40s early 50s, however the reason for my question is that if this is Victoria Square, my Dad used to work for a stockbroking firm located in the Royal Exchange building. Certa
Sorry I lost connection...it should continue certainly the 5a stop was by shipping offices. What were they all waiting for or looking at. And the answer is not a bus!!!

Bob

Hi Bob,
It was a VJ celebration on 15 August 1945 and with Galloway's Corner on the right it is Victoria Square. I confess to recycling the pic twice today ... to save uploading duplicate pics I link to them which means they are only visible if logged in. If you click or touch on the blue words another forum post here or in post #2242 it will take you to the other post. I've also used the pic in a post in the 'Various Street pics' thread click/here

Last edited:
Hi Bob,
It was a VJ celebration on 15 August 1945 and with Galloway's Corner on the right it is Victoria Square. I confess to recycling the pic twice today ... to save uploading duplicate pics I link to them which means they are only visible if logged in. If you click or touch on the blue words another forum post here or in post #2242 it will take you to the other post. I've also used the pic in a post in the 'Various Street pics' thread click/here
Old M
Thanks, so my dad was still in India and not back to work there for another 3 months.
Bob

I remember being allowed to stay up to listen to the broadcast of his fight with Joe Baski. Devastated that Woodcock was so out classed. I must have been 6 or 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back