• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes !
I've only just noticed the cross, it looks like part of a headstone doesn't it ?
I'm a little concerned that the sheep has a bow on its head.

My family used to be stone masons, there is one still sculpting in Craven Arms. I wondered if it was a trophy. The row of little lads with caps, the capless one has a real pudding basin haircut. Maybe the ribbons are rosettes?Tamworth Station.jpg Market Place entrance to Quality Sq, Ludlow.jpgI will show it to my farming uncle he might know.

As I am on a posting roll I have put these 2 on as well.

The gentleman to the right I am sure is an Anglican clergyman, probably the local vicar.
It is probably the blessing of lambs which takes place often on St. Agnes Day or before Easter. Many of these customs died away as farms moved away from the larger villages and towns. But I am sute they take place still in some places here. They do do in France, Italy and Spain and other European countries. I know the customs also occurs in the Americas.

That's really interesting. They have a service for animals to be blessed in Wales where my uncle is. They take there pets and farm animals.
I know in Poland at Easter they venerate the lamb and have lambs made in butter.

I can't see his dog collar but it does look like a cross in his. I might be going off topic here but Little Stretton Church, as a point of interest has a thatched roof. I don't have a year but the original is a sepia postcard with rounded corners. I often encounter several Brummies when we go up there. <ust be a popular Brummie destination.

Yes of course!
Very painful if your fingers got in the way.
I am crossing my legs as I read your posts. I don't think he would be dine up in ribbons to get the snip.
I have a photo of my great gran holding a ram also who looks a similar breed. Apparantly stock breed were smaller before the war and were bred bigger after. As I thought they were both small for rams.

I've often looked at this pic and wondered who the taxi driver and constable were waiting for, maybe someone important was expected. Not the best selection of cars in the pic but at least it was easy to park. I went through that entrance on many Sunday nights in the 1950s to catch the 'Bristol - Newcastle' train .....
New_Street_Station.jpg

I've often looked at this pic and wondered who the taxi driver and constable were waiting for, maybe someone important was expected. Not the best selection of cars in the pic but at least it was easy to park. I went through that entrance on many Sunday nights in the 1950s to catch the 'Bristol - Newcastle' train .....
New_Street_Station.jpg
Its a wonderful photo Mohawk. Its 1965 or close to. Neither the building, the cars or the bystanders are aware of the terrible misfortune due to them with the impending "redevelopment". Very tragic in a Shakesperean way even

Nico, Either last year or the one before I gave a photo of the old ironmongers shop in Ludlow to the then owners of the property, it was a Ladies ware shop. I took the photo about 50 years ago, and it looks like the one you have shown. Would it have been you that I gave it to? It was no good to me, Regardless if it was or not I was very pleased to see old photo on the forum. Geff

She reads the adverts probably unaware that she is probably the main subject in this Weoley Castle Rd 1967 photo. A look at today's streetview suggests that the Prefabs must have been on the large island ? Just for comparison a second forum pic dated 1954 (no one in it) shows Manders Shoe Repairs which had become Arnolds in 1967 but 13 years had gone by. Today it is a Fish Bar.
index.php

img746.jpg

Last edited:
The first photo I would have used that "Beechnut Chewing gum machine by the paper shop, I did't start smoking till the army so would not have used the embassy machine, the prefabs were on the main castle square island, my old mate "Paddy Magill" lived there.

They lived on a hill and down a bit of a grassy bank, the nearest pub was The Raven but I know it has gone. I remember a ring of trees on an island maybe further down with a pond in the middle with Canada geese on it. The back gardens were very long and they grew there own veg.

Was it muddy?
I think some maybe still there Carolina. They lived on the right walking down the hill. Am not in touch with them any more but just with one in Northfield.
I didn't get around much a they all sat talking and I used to go in the garden and visit the greenhouses. The house had a range with 2 side ovens blacked but the tiles were dark green and polished around it. It may have been a council house but they bought it. Dark red brick. Had some more relatives in California and Quinton. A lot worked at Cadburys.

The Raven was at the junction of Gregory Avenue and Weoley Castle road. the park with the duck pond was a skating rink in winter.

The hill was steep as I remember. I remember the prefabs too. The grassy bank used to get muddy from wear down to the path in front of the house.
My Nan called it Wee oly Castle but they said it was really Weeely, (Weoly). I think there was some castle ruins somewhere.

Are you and Carolina Selly Oakians then? I used to speak to a Cov chap who lives in Selly Oak who helped me with some of my search. He did say that Selly Oak is a massive area.

I keep looking at that white car in front of the hairdressers in second pic in #1037, does anyone know it's make ? I notice the windscreen is vertical.

Nico I did live at one time in Selly Oak. Our first house in the 60s was in Weoley Avenue which was opposite the cemetry and when my daughter was very young we used to scoot through the cemetry on to Weoley Castle Square for her nursery. In the 70s we moved to Weoley Park Road.

I think it is a1930's, Vauxhall, I don't know what model but I remember as a boy a farmer having a black car nearly the same design with a straight window which could be opened from inside by turning a handle.paul

Thanks Paul I think you are right. I can't quite make out any flutes Vauxhalls used to have on their bonnets. Nice looking car apart from the windscreen just the job for a hairdresser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back