• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just thought they used to have circular shaped boxes and paniers then looking at old films, rather than square boxes like now. Maybe it was cheeses in them? When I said hat boxes I meant boxes for transporting hats. They are/were round. Maybe it is blurred as I can't see 2 pairs of legs.

Some nice panel beating made that pointy rear end on the unusual looking car - shame about the mud guards - I bet that fancy horn made a good honk !
To me the pic seems to have a slight 'Monty Python' look about it. Not the first time 'Monty Python' has been mentioned in this thread ....:D
index.php

Yardley Fields Road Acocks Green

Last edited:
I remember walking around the side of this fountain one afternoon and someone knocked me straight in,i then had to walk all the way home to Kenyon Street Hockley and tel Mom what happened.

I think this lad on the left has only one leg and a peg leg for want of a better description,and may be is carrying a stool which gives the impression of two arms above is head.

I think this lad on the left has only one leg and a peg leg for want of a better description,and may be is carrying a stool which gives the impression of two arms above is head.
I think the far left arm belongs to the man standing well behind the lad carrying the thing on his head, the far left arm being the rear man's elbow from the back view. And he does seem to have a wooden leg at a skewed angle (skewiff -my Nan again) so it must have been heavy and hard to balance. So much easier to carry a heavy object on your head. I am sure they tiered round baskets on their heads in markets years ago which is mimicked in circus acts and they chucked veg up to land in the top one. like cabbages and such.

yes nico I can see what you mean about the arm on the left of the pic being the man in the fronts elbow,just a bit of a muddle by the boys left arm.

Well spotted about the lad with a wooden leg, but the main question is, what is it in the fountain they are all looking at ? It might be the first time it was filled with water but unlikely.
Another photo in post #17 of children playing by the fountain shows the sort of scene where James got pushed in...probably a bit earlier than his splash !

Last edited:
Another good pic that of the car. Interesting about the panels. But the car itself look pretty flimsey over all.
(I'll stand corrected on that folks ! )

Another good pic that of the car. Interesting about the panels. But the car itself look pretty flimsey over all.
(I'll stand corrected on that folks ! )
Wonder when we changed the spelling from Tires to Tyres as shown on the shop frontage, perhaps if they were imported from the USA they were known as tires.

Both spellings are shown on different windows As a schoolboy I remember checking the spelling of tire/tyre in Collins English Gem Dictionary and it gave tire as English and tyre as American yet the usage was the other way round.

Wonder when we changed the spelling from Tires to Tyres as shown on the shop frontage, perhaps if they were imported from the USA they were known as tires.
When I type tyres into the reply box it is red under-lined, but when I type tires it is accepted, so I must have an American spell-checker in my laptop.

When I type tyres into the reply box it is red under-lined, but when I type tires it is accepted, so I must have an American spell-checker in my laptop.
Don't have that problem on the ipad as dictionary set to English UK, not used the laptop much since buying the ipad last year but think I also changed Windows 8 to English UK.

No I don't have a problem with my ipad which I use most of the time. I've just noticed that my ipad has red underlined ipad ... In this this reply !

Your iPad was probably telling you that you should have put a capital P. I thought that the spell check was on the forum and that they had used an American one as we did not previously have a spell check here. I have a problem with Windows Mail which came with Windows Vista as it has an American spell check but the English spell check works in Word.

I wonder if the "Tires" on the front window is a trade name (looks like Ti res) - conjecture here.
And the english tyres is on the side window

From the 1700's English spelling was standardised after recognised dictionaries were published.
English spelling followed Samuel Johnson's Dictionary (1755).
American spellings followed Noah Webster's Dictionary (1828)

Webster (US) proposed many standards himself (and some never caught on).
English spelling was influence by Norman (or Anglo-French) spellings.
So spelling changes in the UK had little effect on today's American spellings and vice-versa.

Maybe Pedley was an American supplier and John Bull was of course a British company, but I mainly remember John Bull for their puncture repair kits.

I saw a 'scrap man' today in his white van, not a bit like this 'scrap man' from the 1970's. Just thinking, 1970 seems like only yesterday to me !
index.php

Last edited:
That picture would be nice in a frame.
I remember them sellinf second hand goods from prams on The Hill, in Dublin, circa 77 and fruit by the Halfpenny Bridge and in Moor St. My mate's mum said was because they didn't have a licence and they could do a quick runner.
Our scrap man gets stopped by the police because of his piled up load in his open back lorry, he blows a squeaky trumpet and sets the dogs in the area off.When I first heard him I thought he was one of those preachers, who blow a trumpet. We had twin religious sect neighbours like that, ruddy silly foowells Nan called them.

I wonder if the "Tires" on the front window is a trade name (looks like Ti res) - conjecture here.
And the english tyres is on the side window

From the 1700's English spelling was standardised after recognised dictionaries were published.
English spelling followed Samuel Johnson's Dictionary (1755).
American spellings followed Noah Webster's Dictionary (1828)

Webster (US) proposed many standards himself (and some never caught on).
English spelling was influence by Norman (or Anglo-French) spellings.
So spelling changes in the UK had little effect on today's American spellings and vice-versa.
I guess that's why we have Adwick le Street, and Poulten le Fylde, and NEwton Le Willows, and a bit nearer to Brum Enville. I know the nobility spoke only French at one time.

We occasionally had a scrap man on a horse and cart, he offered really nice goldfish and balloons :) but my Mother always said no :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back