• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="raz ullah, post: 706841, member: 65898"
[/QUOTE]
I'm no fan of rail travel . Over the years even when trains were in its early years people were unsure.
The motor car will never catch on. Motorways, what a waste of money.
Goods were delivered via the canal. The canal was the motorway of it's day.
A few days ago I was talking to some youngsters who thought the street lighting was poor, I said its better then the old gas lighting, they thought I was joking I wasn't .

If I was asked when I passed my driving test in1969 when will you purchase you first electric car ? I with my mates would have laughed.

I have already said I'm no fan of the rail, but sorry folk's. How many cars does one train keep off the roads.

What will 2030, look like? I hope I'm still around to see it.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

Raz,

I've lived in Crete for the last 16 years and we have no railways on the island. Far too expensive to cut tunnels and build bridges through the mountainous terrain, and such a railway would run at a massive loss even if someone built it. :)
The one on the Greek mainland makes a loss of 1 million euros a day, without Covid, so not even the German banks wanted to take it as collateral!

Maurice :cool:

Raz,

I've lived in Crete for the last 16 years and we have no railways on the island. Far too expensive to cut tunnels and build bridges through the mountainous terrain, and such a railway would run at a massive loss even if someone built it. :)
The one on the Greek mainland makes a loss of 1 million euros a day, without Covid, so not even the German banks wanted to take it as collateral!

Maurice :cool:
Crete, beautiful part of the world, what helps makes beautiful its got no space for a train.

The Uk not big but do we just keep building motorways, I would still rather drive even if rail travel was nil, but I would say thank you to those who did travel by the train.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️ .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back