• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
could be phil as the large building is the council house...not very good with trams but is that the back of them we can see
lyn
Hi Lyn,
The trams had no 'front' or 'back' and could be driven from both ends because they could not be turned round. When the tram being boarded moves off towards town, the tram on the right comes forward to just past the 'cross-over' and the driver goes to the other end of the tram and drives it across to the other track. Note the overhead line going across.
OldBrummie also explains it in his post#2718.
Phil

The tram is heading into the City Centre so it would not be a football tram. The tram was starting from there according to the destination board.

"Handsworth" as a destination could be as far out as the New Inns public house. The tram track is not from the cable trams - there is no central 'slot' for the gripper to access the cable, so its track laid after the original was lifted. The car in the distance, also heading for Birmingham, has a roller blind destination above the driving position, which Birmingham cars did use for a while, as per this postcard of car 46 on the Bolton Rd service.

Tram 46 Bolton rd.jpg

The traffic lights have failed and a policeman has the awkward job of controlling traffic on Five Ways. He's only got white covers on his sleeves, 'hi-vis' jackets had not been invented back then. The car behind him almost brushes his back, and it isn't a Ford and I can't see the driver's hat. I remember driving in those sort of jams and often glared at a traffic cop when I thought he was favouring traffic from other directions.

The lady in the white coat looks bemused by the scene....
FiveWays-HagleyRd1966.jpg
the MINI in the middle was COUNCIL CAR you can just see the coat of arms on the door.

I often use the pdf in the post below to find my favourite pics in this thread ... try it and it might work for anyone ... :)
Its a pdf file so it can saved it in a computer.

Last edited:
Are we looking at the notorious 'Running Man' photos again? I can't see him on the Five Ways picture as the right hand side has been cut off.

It could be a nanny in the photo. They often wore shirt, ties etc. I remember our old pram. Great big thing, green, grey and chrome with amazing suspension. My dad looked after us after I was born because my mum had to go into hospital. I too was ill so he had his hands full. No paternity leave in those days. Doubtless he was seen out and about pushing me around in the pram in the 50s. But as you say, not a common sight even at that time. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
We are in 2019 and nothing's changed..

Wrong city and time for Norman. :) The uniform worn by constables, I believe, was more of a tunic style at the time rather than a jacket.
I have the idea that the man (supposedly with 'phone) is actually touching his head, as many people do when trying to find an answer to an asked question. I notice that even back pre WW2 road closures, due to road works were a motoring inconvenience. The Erdington route tram was in the more pleasant (in my view) pre 1946 livery.

The policeman is wearing a belt outside his coat which would imply to me that it would be a tunic buttoned up to the neck, The jacket style came in after the war, I believe in the late 1950s. Living as I did on the city boundary with three different police forces within yards of my parents house, I remember the Birmingham City police were the last to allow shirt sleave order in hot weather. I also remember the newspaper report about the Birmingham Police no longer having separate uniforms for night and day duty.

There seems to be something odd in this old pic of Coventry Rd near the entrance to Small Heath Park ... :)
1scCovRoadOld.jpg

Zoom in and on the right is something which appears to have a lightshade above it and what appears to be toecaps poking out at the bottom. The man behind it stares.
whatisit.jpg

And nothing odd in today's pic.
scCovtoday.PNG

I’ve seen the photo before and assumed it was a young girl, in a hat, carrying a cloak waiting to cross the road. But it does look odd. Viv.

There seems to be something odd in this old pic of Coventry Rd near the entrance to Small Heath Park ... :)
View attachment 139289

Zoom in and on the right is something which appears to have a lightshade above it and what appears to be toecaps poking out at the bottom. The man behind it stares.
View attachment 139290

And nothing odd in today's pic.
View attachment 139291
It's a young girl, looking in the direction her shoes are pointing she is wearing a hat (the lampshade), She has clothes (or similar) over her arm and a stick or something (could be the aerial on an early mobile phone) in the other hand. I think the boy on the pavement is with her. Was this a tram stop and she is first in the queue?

It's a young girl, looking in the direction her shoes are pointing she is wearing a hat (the lampshade), She has clothes (or similar) over her arm and a stick or something (could be the aerial on an early mobile phone) in the other hand. I think the boy on the pavement is with her. Was this a tram stop and she is first in the queue?
The tram stop is the other side of the park entrance and I can't see a head under the lampshade ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back