• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They took us to the sea

Lovely film.
Went on a similar trip with Life Boys in 1950's, had our fish and chips in the Winter Gardens.
Still go to Weston quite often as it is a "half way" meeting up point between Devon and Brum. Saw a display there last summer with the Red Arrows.
life boys yer,i was one

I remember going on a day trip to Cowes, IOW, with my brother & my mother using Smiths Imperial. Very early start and because of the distance involved, we had little more than an hour in Cowes, and got back fairly late. This was probably 1952/3.

Maurice :cool:

Seems it was cheaper to travel to Weston on a Wednesday rather than a Sunday, you saved yourself 2/3d which was quite a bit in 1951! Just think how many ice creams you could have bought:yum

In 1951 Woolworth were selling Ice cream cones foe 2d ! (Inserted after original post)
Sweets-and-Ices (2).jpg

Last edited:
l remember going on a day trip to WSM it must have been in the mid to late 40s and l am sure it was flights garage that took us could'nt tell you which route we took...well when we arrived it was pouring of rain and it never stopped so we took shelter in some houses that were being built just the wall and roof was on them.no windows...that was where we had our sandwiches and a thermos of tea...it was really cold but us kids did'nt notice we were to busy exploring...what a day and to top it all off we did'nt see the sea.

l remember going on a day trip to WSM it must have been in the mid to late 40s and l am sure it was flights garage that took us could'nt tell you which route we took...well when we arrived it was pouring of rain and it never stopped so we took shelter in some houses that were being built just the wall and roof was on them.no windows...that was where we had our sandwiches and a thermos of tea...it was really cold but us kids did'nt notice we were to busy exploring...what a day and to top it all off we did'nt see the sea.
You mean there is sea at Weston Super Mare!!!

Bob

Edifi

I've seen the sea at WSM, but it did look rather murky, as do many estuaries. On each of the times I have been to WSM in my younger days, it was also rather windy, which of course did not help. When I can find the old album, I will post a picture of my parents, my younger brother and me sitting on a bench near the old amusement rides and looking out to sea. It must have been raining (or about to rain) as my parents are wearing raincoats & Dad has his trilby pulled well down. Not exactly a picture of happy folks on holiday!:cool:
Maurice

January 1962...winter in WSM...anyone seen the 38ft wave?

View attachment 136301
that is the only place i have seen people wearing wet suits on land.the tide goes up in the air and down again as rain.not out like other coasts.even tesco staff wear wellies
weston wearing wellies

Attachments

• weston.jpg
    weston.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with Weston Super Mare, the tide comes in and goes out again like any other seaside town, my grand-kid's like it there and it's an easy short journey from Birmingham, what more can you ask. This photo was taken in the 70's It shows myself, my wife, my daughter and two of my nephews. The sand doesn't look like mud to me and the sea is close enough for a swim if you feel like one.

pic 6.jpg

WSM is fine if you just want a beach and keep close to the shoreline. Much of that north Somerset coast can be treacherous as are many other areas, Lancashire for instance. I spent a while, when in the RAF, near WSM and always went for shopping, dinner and a drink there. There was not much for me on the sea front but I do not recall seing the tide anywhere near in.
Human beings are not in a natural environment regarding the sea and rivers, but due to our perception of us all be 'old sea dogs' we love the water.
Old sailors, who are familiar with sails, will tell you that 'Sir, you sails with permission'.
Living by the coast it is a frequent occurrence to hear that somewhere in the South West people have been too adventurous - or plain foolish - and have had to be rescued by lifeboat, lifeguards or helicopter. In many instances they are not alive to tell their story!!

I have been to WSM when the tide was in and also when there was a SW force 8 blowing and we were advised by the police not to use the sea front road, it was September and spring tides, waves were high probably 12 - 18feet and coming in over the sea wall. However occasionally go there as a day trip from Barnstaple, not like the days when we came down on a day trip from Birmingham on a dedicated excursion train into Locking Road (now gone of course), usually behind a Hall. Do you remember the Saturday & Sunday seaside excursions from both Snow Hill and New Street to all the coastal areas within reasonable travel time WSM, Barry Island, Yarmouth (using the old M&GNJ), Rhyl and Llandudno, Blackpool and Southport, superb reasonably priced days out, but then it was before Global warming and I remember August as being long and hot. I cannot remember if there were ever ant trips to Skegness and Scarborough on a same day return system. The best trip we ever did was 1961, Oban and the Kyles of Bute, left New Street on a Friday evening in a two coach train hauled by a Class 2, 2-6-0 - some were standing, however we only went to Tamworth, the Class 2 detached and we were reversed on to a set of coaches already at the platform, a larger engine was attached, those standing were advised to move down the train to some empty coaches and we travelled West Coast route to Greenock, then McBraynes to Oban after a cruise through the Kyles of Bute, caught the train at Oban and came back via the Settle & Carlisle again overnight, arriving New Street about 11am Sunday morning. The trip cost very little about 19/6d each. At the end we were shattered, but it was just one of many such trips that we enjoyed from both Snow Hill and New Street during 1960/61 and early 1962. Alternatively we also travelled by coach on a couple of occasions, once to WSM, once to Brean Sands and once to Tenby (where we had about two hours before having to return back to the coach).
Incidentally remember that the Bristol Channel has the world's second highest tides.

Bob

Back