• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They took us to the sea

This has to be one of my favourite films, the social change in a generation is amazing

Thanks Lyn, it was lovely seeing that film again.

i love it froth .gives me a warm feeling..takes me back to a time when we didnt have to worry about what was happening in the world nor did we care...and as mort has said the social changes in just one generation is amazing..

lyn

Lovely film.
Went on a similar trip with Life Boys in 1950's, had our fish and chips in the Winter Gardens.
Still go to Weston quite often as it is a "half way" meeting up point between Devon and Brum. Saw a display there last summer with the Red Arrows.

some of those kids had more food in that day than they had in a week at home.

how very true jim and i would like to bet that their day out at the seaside remains in their memory forever...

Last edited:
WSM 1956 001.jpgOn the back of photo it says, Mom Dad and Grandad at Weston Super Mare 1956. Taken with a Kodak Brownie box camera no doubt. I think Nan was there also but cut off in the photo? John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Co USA

what a smashing photo john so typical of the time..thanks for sharing it with us..actually given the title of this thread i think it would be in keeping for other members to post their photos of days by the seaside with their family...be great to see them..

lyn

old family 18.jpgIMG_0501.JPG
A bit boring, but two "Weston" photos I have taken, just 60 years apart! in the black and white one, gran, mom and siblings, in the coloured one wife, daughters partners and grand children but both on the esplanade and very few yards apart. As the advert goes Now I'm the Grand dad

Smashing film Lyn. Dosn't your heart go out to all those sad little faces at Snowhill Station, it makes you want to scoop them all up and take them home. What wonderfull people all those adult helpers are, can you imagine kids of today having so much fun from so little.
Best wishes, Mike

Smashing film Lyn. Dosn't your heart go out to all those sad little faces at Snowhill Station, it makes you want to scoop them all up and take them home. What wonderfull people all those adult helpers are, can you imagine kids of today having so much fun from so little.
Best wishes, Mike

mike it certainly does and what amazes me so much is the fact that this was happening in our life time...until i started researching social history i had no idea of what hardships befell people...i am the eldest of six children and it is only recently that i have come to appreciate the fact that our mom and dad got us away to wales for a week every year...dad was never work shy and later on our mom used to take in outwork but it still must have been a struggle for them..i had friends who only had 1 or 2 children in the family and they had never seen the sea...

jim your photos are lovely not boring at all...they are a snapshot of your family history...i have one or two taken round about the same time as that film...will sort them out over the next day or so and post them but i dont want anyone laffin at me...i had short hair until i was about 14 and look more like a boy..mind you i was a proper tom boy until i hit 16...i hated skirts..dresses and especially swimming cossies... lol

lyn

Last edited:
On USA Public TV a while ago there was a show 'The Cafe' Not the greatest, in fact a little dumb at times, But wasn't it filmed at Weston? I think the Cafe building was just for the show? John Crump Parker. Colorado (NOT by the sea) USA

On USA Public TV a while ago there was a show 'The Cafe' Not the greatest, in fact a little dumb at times, But wasn't it filmed at Weston? I think the Cafe building was just for the show? John Crump Parker. Colorado (NOT by the sea) USA

John correct just north of the pier, and just for the show,,,,, near Knightstone Causeway

There was a D.H.Lawrence film shot in Weston. Was it Sons and Lovers? I think it was 1960 with the late Heather Sears.

Is WSM still as popular? My nephew says there is also a spot a few miles from there now? John Crump

Thank you Lyn for the film, I haven't seen it before, the children's faces are worth a mint.

This is Hastings about 1950, I keep a copy of it in a frame and when I want to feel good I look at it, my dad in his suit, he did take his tie off though. I'm on the left in my cossie, my sister Jen sucking her finger.

HastingsDMDJ1.jpg

what a smashing holiday photo di..everyone looking happy...thank you for sharing it with us...

lyn

Is WSM still as popular? My nephew says there is also a spot a few miles from there now? John Crump

Hi John,

Weston Super Mare is still popular but probably as not so popular. The other place your nephew mentions is possibly Burnham. However WSM is suffering, as are most of our resorts because of the large numbers of people who go abroad for their holidays. This is becuase of package deals and cut price airlines that have come into place.

Old Boy

Back