• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THEY SAID

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
They said it was the war to end all wars, but we all knew they lied
They said you'll come back as Heroes but most of my comrades have died
They said we would have the best of everything but we never did
They said they would be right there with us but the leaders ran and hid
They said it wouldn't last long: it would all be over in less than a year
They said they were suffering too, but I never saw one shed a tear
They said the Germans were the enemy, they called them Nazis or the Huns
They said they were animals, but they too were were Fathers, Husbands or Sons
They said We were winning and that what we did would be remembered forever
They said our appalling conditions would get better, but of course they never
They said lots of things which they believed were true, but they were lying
They said we were all brave, but you don't feel brave when your mates are dieing
They said when this was over, war would never again raise its ugly head
They said we would all live in peace, it never happened, but its what They said.

I like poetry that pushes home the point your trying to make, I reckon this poem is your best yet Jim. I like also that you have added the sorry totals from ALL sides. Really makes you think about how futile, how pointless all that death was.

Thank you all for your comments. When I first read the staistics I was shocked and horrified to learn the actual numbers involved. Over 10 million killed and another 20 million wounded, and for what. So we could do it all over again 30 odd years later. I thank every soldier who took part in both world wars, I just wish the price had not been so high. A lot paid the ultimate price and never returned to thier loved ones, not just the British but all nations. We who are now looking after this planet, MUST make sure that it never happens again. Believe me, the next one WILL be the war to end all wars.
Death never took sides, did he.

Back