• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

They Only Walked

Wow - so well written - memories have come flooding back- my 'grandparents Parish's coal wharf 35 Cliveland St' - the canal ran behind - - factory girls tossed pennies to me over the canal - Often saw horses treading the tow path!

Rupert, You certainly have hit the nail on the head...... Great piece of nostalgia well written and from the heart.........I have never written a "Canal Poem" and don't intent to after seeing your wonderful poem ...which can't be bettered in my eye's as it say's it all....Great

Brilliant Rupert. And don't forget Catherine Cookson managed to combine romance with the hard-working lower classes up in Tyneside and look how her books sold. Best of luck Rupert, go for it.

That is absolutely lovely Rupert, well done.
As you read it you feel you are there.:great:

Super poem Rupert.....don't give up on the romance novel yet. The Catherine Cookson angle mentioned above certainly worked for her. I am sure you will
"hit the nail on the head" before too long with this project.

What a brilliantly written piece of work...how I wish I had the talent to do half as good...this bit blows me away..well done Rupert.

When you think of Empire glory,
Dance at balls in tux and gown,

Remember then the boatman’s story,
Ere the paths be overgrown.

Rupert..........still smiling at your poem ..Wonderful
Those silent giant’s slide along ,slime covered highways, in a World we don’t belong .One day we will look back ,and think …and put into words ..with a poem or a song ...something we cannot feel ..or cannot Explain ...But you Rupert
have put into words..... We understand it’s not been in vain

Thanks to you all for reading my poem and for taking time to write a few words. I must confess that one hopes to please but I am taken aback by the response. The canals are so unassuming and easy to miss, yet played such a major part in the history of the world. I feel that the pleasent aspects of todays tourist reality somewhat puts into the shaddow the lives and lifetimes of our ancesters who toiled on this system. They seem to have been completely discounted in the scheme of things. Hopefully this forum has highlighted for others the undeniable worth of a seemingly forgotten human endeavor. And Kandor you do yourself an injustice.

Back