• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I found out Morrison's makeup and sell assorted food boxes and deliver them the next day.just order online. foo! that is easier for me.:)

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I believe many people in the past rarely locked doors during the daytime - well, to be honest, many had little for anyone to take. That was the way of small places anyway.
My gran never had a lock on the door.in derby. it was a lift up latch on the inside of the door,you put your finger in the hole to lift it and open the door...1590994551485.png

DJRVST

master brummie
That is the $64.000 question.
Once during a lecture by at a training session in the Fire Service, a visiting officer spoke about retirement and job capability. He said when you find you can longer do the job efficiently, you will know.
Similarly when many bodily functions cannot be achieved I guess that is when you become old.
A lady, who I knew, once told me - when she was 99 - that it was no fun getting old. Maybe that is another guide?
An interesting quote from the 99 year old- My mother who passed away at over 100 years of age used that phrase in the last year of her life but meant physically as her mind was still razor sharp and thought old people were boring! Hence my Role Model!!!!

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Been to work twice this week as we have had two of our trainers working, but it is back to work for all of us next week, so thes marmalade stained pyjamas will have to be washed and the proper working clothes put back on.
Joking aside whilst there has been a certain amiability among the general public at large, albeit crossing the road so as you do not get near each other when out walking, have you noticed the rise in the number of little 'Hitlers' that have emerged from this, give them a visi jacket mask and gloves and you give them the right to rudely shout at you and order you back a few inches and in a garden centre recently 'stay there (and the assistant took the basket),just wait there (and the lady behind the till came out to scan the compost) now come and pay...just one of you'. I was astounded and horrified at the rudeness of it all. I said to my wife afterwards, we have just spent £41.oo, but if I had not needed the compost, I would have left it all there. I did notice that the compost was £1.50 a bag dearer than in February, so that the bargain three bags we bought were still £3.00 dearer than the bargain three bags bought in February.
The best one of all was when the assistant manager at a supermarket harangued me for not buying what was on the conveyor belt, total cost £5.27, when I was told that payment was card only and I had only got cash with me, so I laft it there (currently because of my hip I am on a stick and someone in the queue offered to pay for it and as I left there were mutterings about that poor old pensioner) and assistant manager aged about 17 told me that it was a government edict that no cash was to be used now it was all card payment. I hobbled away more than I needed to, kept my peace and bought the items elsewhere. I just wondered why we did not buy white shrouds and walk around the streets ringing a bell.
But as we come to the sunset of these strange surreal times, can I just thank all of you who have contributed to makes this a humourous, interesting and very current topic. Seventy pages of our worries thoughts, actions and jokes about something which all of us who lived through the war bore no resemblance to the war, although the pundits did try to encourage a comparison, because with this pandemic there were no sirens before it struck, the enemy was invisible. Personally, I am a conspiracy theorist.....three viruses the next one stronger than the one before.....come back Dr Strangelove all is forgiven.

Bob

Edifi

master brummie
Bob very true.When did the Government say no cash only card.Left it all on the counter when it happened to me.Caused chaos at the Car wash when I only had cash and a long queue behind me.:laughing::laughing:

Radiorails

master brummie
That is total balderdash Bob, about the card only. Lots of people can only pay by cash, they either do not have a bank account or their credit is bad and their cards are cancelled.
Maybe the supermarket has a feedback or Facebook page. That young idiot need to be correctly informed. As for the rudeness at the garden centre the same applies in my view.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
That is total balderdash Bob, about the card only. Lots of people can only pay by cash, they either do not have a bank account or their credit is bad and their cards are cancelled.
Maybe the supermarket has a feedback or Facebook page. That young idiot need to be correctly informed. As for the rudeness at the garden centre the same applies in my view.

quite correct alan the government has never ever said we MUST pay by card...the advise given was pay by card IF you CAN...i have been in all of the major supermarkets who accept cash or card..we have a pound shop by us and from lockdown its been card only payment but that is only because it was decided by the company NOT the goverment...it is totally up to individual companies to say how they prefer payment...if they are only accepting card payments then there should be a large notice on the shop window stating this..i have to say that in all the shops i have been into the staff have been nothing but helpful and obliging...can only speak as i find

bob i dont know which supermarket you went to ( and it does not matter )who refused you paying by cash but if there was a notice up saying card payment only as you entered which you may have missed then that assistant was in the right and he should have pointed the notice out to you..if it happens to you again i would ask to be shown where on entering the shop does it say card payment only...the best thing to do if unsure is to ask before you start shopping what the shops policy is about method of payment

lyn

Last edited:

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
‘Non-essential’ shops in my town are preparing themselves to re-open. There’s lots of DIY going on inside them. Some seem to be taking the opportunity to give the inside a coat of paint. Most seem to be putting in place measures to ensure social distancing. I’ve heard a lot being said about ‘bubbles’ and they’re not the ‘forever blowing them’ sort ! I think these apply to services like hairdressing, the bubble being the enclosure which customers will sit in for their haircut. My husbands comment: ‘should have just stuck up a shower curtain with a few holes in’ ! Forever the practical man. Viv.

Richarddye

master brummie
Been to work twice this week as we have had two of our trainers working, but it is back to work for all of us next week, so thes marmalade stained pyjamas will have to be washed and the proper working clothes put back on.
Joking aside whilst there has been a certain amiability among the general public at large, albeit crossing the road so as you do not get near each other when out walking, have you noticed the rise in the number of little 'Hitlers' that have emerged from this, give them a visi jacket mask and gloves and you give them the right to rudely shout at you and order you back a few inches and in a garden centre recently 'stay there (and the assistant took the basket),just wait there (and the lady behind the till came out to scan the compost) now come and pay...just one of you'. I was astounded and horrified at the rudeness of it all. I said to my wife afterwards, we have just spent £41.oo, but if I had not needed the compost, I would have left it all there. I did notice that the compost was £1.50 a bag dearer than in February, so that the bargain three bags we bought were still £3.00 dearer than the bargain three bags bought in February.
The best one of all was when the assistant manager at a supermarket harangued me for not buying what was on the conveyor belt, total cost £5.27, when I was told that payment was card only and I had only got cash with me, so I laft it there (currently because of my hip I am on a stick and someone in the queue offered to pay for it and as I left there were mutterings about that poor old pensioner) and assistant manager aged about 17 told me that it was a government edict that no cash was to be used now it was all card payment. I hobbled away more than I needed to, kept my peace and bought the items elsewhere. I just wondered why we did not buy white shrouds and walk around the streets ringing a bell.
But as we come to the sunset of these strange surreal times, can I just thank all of you who have contributed to makes this a humourous, interesting and very current topic. Seventy pages of our worries thoughts, actions and jokes about something which all of us who lived through the war bore no resemblance to the war, although the pundits did try to encourage a comparison, because with this pandemic there were no sirens before it struck, the enemy was invisible. Personally, I am a conspiracy theorist.....three viruses the next one stronger than the one before.....come back Dr Strangelove all is forgiven.

Bob
Bob, a great narrative and welcome to the 21st century!

Status
Not open for further replies.