• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter1

master brummie
My son a and daughter in law both work in London. My son can work from home but unfortunately his wife works in catering with restaurants in London and Manchester which have been closed for the foreseeable future. The business has been able to freeze a lot of their stock but a lot of it is also perishable i.e fresh veg. My son placed an add on his local community website asking if anyone wanted any of it. Quite a few neighbours responded and his wife took a taxi from central London to bring it all home. Whilst making the local delivery they learned that a family was ill and in self isolation so left their parcel on the doorstep. Later that evening my son cooked an evening meal and made extra for the same family which he again left on their doorstep. I think that despite these trying times there is an emerging community spirit!
There are numerous examples, like this, of altruistic kindness. Not just in the wonderful NHS examples or care home workers, or teachers, or social workers (who never seem to be mentioned for some reason) BUT also from people who now have the opportunity to show their genuine kindness. Almost all of us have the opportunity to show kindness in many ways that suit our particular situation. Food on doorstep, remember older people may like to see a note through their door. This would be a message that they are being thought about, have not been forgotten, they are still important. Relationships are so important. Stay safe all.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
ta mr smudger.mine would not activate.so i could not use it . no probs.as you said "wonder what dog food tastes like?"View attachment 145221
I once, a long time ago, worked with someone who had previously worked at Spillers petfoods. Apparently they had someone there who regularly had to taste the stuff, and he said it was, surprisingly, very bland. That would have been a while ago though

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I once, a long time ago, worked with someone who had previously worked at Spillers petfoods. Apparently they had someone there who regularly had to taste the stuff, and he said it was, surprisingly, very bland. That would have been a while ago though
wonder if they will giz a job:grinning:

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t think the tinned dog meat looks that appetising. But some of smaller foil packed dog meat looks ok - not that I’ve tried it and wouldn't recommend it.

When my children were very little, unbeknown to me, they used to sneak off with the dog chocs behind the shed and help themselves. What terrible mother allows that ?!! Have to say, it didn’t do them any harm .......

but can’t emphasise enough it’s also NOT RECOMMENDED. Who knows what goes into them these days. Viv.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Vivienne14, post: 684618, member: 14520"]
I don’t think the tinned dog meat looks that appetising. But some of smaller foil packed dog meat looks ok - not that I’ve tried it and wouldn't recommend it.

When my children were very little, unbeknown to me, they used to sneak off with the dog chocs behind the shed and help themselves. What terrible mother allows that ?!! Have to say, it didn’t do them any harm .......

but can’t emphasise enough it’s also NOT RECOMMENDED. Who knows what goes into them these days. Viv.

[/QUOTE .............. Never give dogs any kind of dog chocs....as viv said anything could be in it .......Chocolate is poisonous to dogs; however, the hazard of chocolate to your dog depends on the type of chocolate, the amount consumed and your dog's size. In large enough amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can kill your dog.

Radiorails

master brummie
Pete is correct about chocolate and dogs. Animal food, whatever the appearance, taste or smell may be, it is fit for human consumption. If it was not then it has it be marked as such.
I guess they know that food left for animals in a basin on the floor can attract very young children who mostly still crawl.

Elmo

master brummie
Apparently if you have a new card you can't use it contactless until you have used it once by entering the pin in the machine. Again this is to ensure the correct person has received it.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude

pedigree chum was a good dog food it was lumps of heart and kidney. i used it for fishing when we was on holiday. the eels loved .....If you registered your puppy dog with pedigree foods they sent you a birthday card for the dog and a few tins as a thank you They stopped selling it...now it is just smelly stuff in a tin.

Last edited:

Radiorails

master brummie
I was told. a few years ago, that as a very young child, this song was my favourite and I frequently sang it. I suppose in the early days of WW2 it was a song that was not only catchy but emphasised the Commonwealth and their forces that were also in the fray.

Despite my induction to Australian things (their unofficial National Anthem ;)) I never wanted to go to live there - far too many serpents. :eek: However, for some inexplicable reason - maybe I just wanted a change of scenery - I volunteered, when in the RAF, for the Woomera rocket range.

Last edited:

jmadone

master brummie
Great clip RR. I remember the hit Slim Dusty had in 1957 "A pub with no beer" as well but another song featuring Waltzing Matilda is this one and for some reason it brings a tear to my eye,

Edifi

master brummie
Alan,Have learned this all through my life.You will never beat Old Lady Nature.
Look what happened in Australia after the fires the rain comes and the trees are reappearing. Look what happens when rivers dry up .But then the rain comes and everything comes up wonderful

Ken_R

master brummie
I volunteered, when in the RAF, for the Woomera rocket range.
Not as a target, I would hope. :)

My neighbours, where he has had previous health problems lowering his immunity, are on a least two Supermarket sites where they get priority for Home Delivery. Additionally to this, they also get a weekly Food Parcel courtesy of HMG.

Them being on a reasonable income they enquired about cancelling the Food Parcel (as there were often some items not to their liking). Phoned them up. Couldn't be done. Something to do with it being a Contractual obligation from 'ring fenced funds' [or whatever].

Q. "Well, would it be alright if [what I don't need] I passed such on to a Food Bank?"

A. "What a good idea. No objection at all."

So they get their Food Parcel during the week. Extract what they wish to keep and then, on Friday, a volunteer in a vehicle collects the residue.

Everybody benefits. The Contractural Obligation is met. Nothing gets wasted. And someone less fortunate gets something that they might not otherwise be in a position to purchase. ;)

Richarddye

master brummie
I've been using 'Contactless' lately after saying for years I would never do it ...

I've also recently allowed Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge to remember my sign-in details on the supermarkets etc but I've made sure my computers can't be used without a six digit pin or my finger-print.

It's all very convenient but feels slightly unsafe ... :cool:
oldmMohawk, I am the same way, however I recently purchased a new wireless printer HP Office Pro (I did this right after I purchased $100 of ink for my old Epson that died!, amazing how that works.) When I installed the HP I took out the paper where I keep the password to our home wifi and the nice panel on the printer told me it already had the password, from where, the box?
I just don't think there is any privacy any more :cool:

oldMohawk

master brummie
oldmMohawk, I am the same way, however I recently purchased a new wireless printer HP Office Pro (I did this right after I purchased $100 of ink for my old Epson that died!, amazing how that works.) When I installed the HP I took out the paper where I keep the password to our home wifi and the nice panel on the printer told me it already had the password, from where, the box?
I just don't think there is any privacy any more :cool:
Hi Richard, it seems these days that any device connecting to the network gets information somehow. I have an Epson wireless printer which performs well but seems to secretly drink ink when I am not using it. Lately I seem to be using my printer to print out supermarket online shopping lists.

At present I have about 25 passwords and Pin numbers in use and keep them on a password protected flash drive which is backed-up on another flash drive in another location. I also keep a password protected copy located in an obscure folder on the data drive in my computer.

oldmohawk ... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.