• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiorails

master brummie
Did not know you could still get lino ! I take it that it is in small amounts, not big rolls. Off course , used for its original purpose, I would think it a lot easier to disinfect than carpets !!
Rolls or cut lengths can be gotten. Yes Mike, with lino it is easy to 'swab the decks'. :laughing: My ground floor, except the sitting rom is ceramic tiled. Good when you have a dog. The following link is for information purposes only, I doubt many here will be in the flooring trade.

Radiorails

master brummie
A pity sugar no longer comes in those blue bags, so essential to many school projects. I do think some products, possibly pasta, can be got in similar types of paper. I think back to some of the things that ladies occupied their time with before TV. Knitting sewing - machine or needles - books (often the love story ones), bottling fruit and some vegetables. It wasn't all cleaning scullery tiles. :eek: The men, between work and firewatching etc., did the gardens and repair jobs as new replacements were either expensive or not available and made toys/presents for Christmas. Food growing was encouraged rather than flowers.
I guess the only thing limiting some of us doing those erstwhile activities of all those years ago is because of all the years that have passed, now limiting our movements and nimbleness of fingers. I know there are 'craft' programmes on tv, but their products are not cheap, it seems, and have limited use as far as I can see.
However, a trawl through some of the large number of threads here on BHF reveal some that hit the proverbial brick wall and were never solved or suitably answered. Some time might be spent - successfully, or otherwise - finding a solution/answer.
That No. 8 bus one comes to mind! :laughing:

Radiorails

master brummie
In another thread I mentioned calligraphy. That's an interesting option when you have time on your hands - especially if it is something you once did and still have the necessary kit.

Last edited:

bewdley

master brummie
How lovely to hear how you're all planning on spending the coming weeks or months. I intend to concentrate on my family trees, but for the first time ever I couldn't concentrate today.............. typical.

I think I'm missing the family already, we should have collected two of our grandchildren after school today I guess I'll just have to adjust my mindset. They left this on the doorstep this morning from their hens. All the best everyone, take care.

Attachments

mbenne

master brummie
Having self isolated last month I know how tedious it can be being tied to the house. Fortunately we had a holiday booked for Tenerife so at least that was something to look forward to but alas, the flight was canceled the day before we were due to depart! It was really a blessing in disguise because had we reached our destination we'd have been confined to our appartment for the whole of our stay. We were due to go away with friends from across the road and they were devastated too. So last Saturday evening we sat down and discussed our options and considered going over to Co Mayo. So glad we ruled this out as it would have been lockdown there too. Instead we opted for a holiday home in Brixham, Devon. We unpacked our cases and replaced summer wear for winter woolies and headed down on Monday. Its quiet here for the time of year but we are making the most of our freedom, going for long walks and returning to the Crown and Anchor at 4pm for Happy Hour then fish and chips back at the hosue. Have walked 16 miles in the last couple of days around Berry Head nature reserve and were even fortunate to get close up to two seals playing on Churston beach. I would have attached some pics but its tricky resizing images on a mobile phone. Its a world apart from the issues in London where our son is living. So for now we are making the most of our stay here and will take it on the chin when we get back home!

mbenne

master brummie
Just had a call from our son at home. He was woken by something in the night and got up to investigate. It seems our 5yr old grandson had got up for the loo and was stood at the sink washing his hands and singing at 5he top of his voice.. Happy Birthday to you!!!!

Big Gee

master brummie
Yesterday we had an e-mail from friends who are on holiday somewhere in southern Spain. They are confined to their apartment, and the police are on the look-out for anyone who dares to try to leave the complex. Our friends are hoping that their flight home will actually happen tomorrow, otherwise they could be in trouble as it seems Spain are shutting down all flights over the weekend - I think I've got this right, but if I haven't blame my age and general confusion....

I also heard on the news that China reported no new coronavirus cases for the whole of Wednesday, which is obviously extremely good news, but then spoiled it by letting some citizens return home from elsewhere, and there are 30+ new cases reported so far on Thursday. Goes to show......

G

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a good idea this thread is.

Many of those who came before us in each of our families have lived, at one stage in another, in times which are trying/exciting/terrifying/interesting.

In 1850 or 1851, my Brummie great-grandfather Henry at around 19 years of age took it into his head to fly to the moon. Or rather, the equivalent in his time, to set off for California to make his fortune in the Gold Rush. He got there, somehow (by ship and with possibly some overland trekking) and ended up in a thriving township in the Sacramento Valley which, two years previously, had just been desert. He probably didn't make his fortune – I don't think he ever dug for gold but he probably ended up running a store. In October 1859, when the frenzy had well and truly passed, he came back to England. All we know is that he went, he spent some time there and it was definitely in October 1859 in the town of Oroville (The City of Gold) that he decided to leave.

On September 3rd 1939, his grandson, my father, must have sat there looking at his three children and thinking: "Here I am, I am 39 years of age, I was lucky to be wounded in France in April 1918 – lucky, that is, to have been wounded sufficiently seriously to be brought back home to safety but not so seriously that it has affected the rest of my life – and now, here we are again, 20 years later and facing the absolute unknown. I have a son of 16 (potential cannon fodder), a daughter of 11 and a toddler of three. The world is collapsing around me, I have no idea how things are going to turn out, how do I protect my family and ensure that they survive?"

I can understand why nothing was ever produced, but what would I give for a diary or journal produced by my great-grandfather or my father to give me an idea of their daily life in those "interesting times" and, especially, how they FELT about everything.

I suppose we, at this moment, are living through a period of which there has been no equivalent for 80 years. Even the anxieties which many of us felt at the time of 9/11 or, further back, the Cuban missile crisis, fall into insignificance. Which leads me to the point. We all have an interest in history, or we wouldn't otherwise be here. Has anyone thought of keeping a personal diary which their descendants will treasure in 100 years time? It would have needed great foresight only two or three weeks ago to have started it then; but perhaps it's not too late now as we are still in the early stages of the challenges to come.

The big consolation which we have and which they most certainly didn't in 1939, is that at some stage in the future, weeks, months or even a year or so, everything will be OK. The whole thing may even be forgotten about quite quickly as the years roll by. But it is a point in time when the immediate future is unclear, when extraordinary measures have to be taken by government and the individual and when everyone's lives are for a time, completely changed. Worth recording from a personal perspective, in my humble opinion. And perhaps even therapeutic!

Chris

Big Gee

master brummie
Very well put, Chris. I can remember my mother, who was 28 in September 1939, and pregnant with my elder brother, telling me that the declaration of war did nothing to stir peoples' patriotism; rather, it scared everyone half to death. She was evacuated in 1940 with a baby, stuck it for a couple of months, then came back to Brum on the basis that if the worst came to the worst, better to be with your family and friends rather than a bunch of strangers. But this current crisis won't come to that. The worst of it is, for retired people like my wife and I, a month ago we were living in total contentment, quite happy to look forward to, and live out, our remaining years in relative comfort and peace....and then this happens! But that's really a selfish view, as every single one of us is in this together, to the end.

Plenty of red wine in the shops, though! Cheers!

G

Lady Penelope

master brummie
We're considering taking our camping chairs to the park (Sutton that is) and a flask of coffee and having an open air coffee morning with two of our friends. But not until the sun comes out.

On a lighter note, you may have already seen this notice on a white van but it made me laugh 'No toilets rolls are left in this vehicle overnight'.

My biggest problem is that we are told 'not to touch our faces'. I keep forgetting and only remembering when I've scratched my nose or rubbed my eyes. One of the tips to avoid this is rubbing an onion on your hands so that it will jog your memory but I would much prefer a more pleasant tip please!

Last edited:

Radiorails

master brummie
This is supposed to be an uplifting thread folks; ideas of how to spend our days doing interesting things - often not done for years - that help our days pass pleasantly, especially when we are not able to do those things that we normally do. :)

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Radiorails, we thought we'd dig out all those DVD's sitting in the cupboard and 'go to the pictures'. At least with our version if you don't like the film you can stop it, unlike the cinema. If we don't like the DVD it can go in the charity bag ready for when all the shops are open again.

As suggested in an earlier post, I have downloaded an exercise video for arthritics - there are plenty on the internet, and I try to do it every day. Unfortunately, last week I collided with the bedpost so some of the moves are out until my knee recovers. I want to come out of this 'emergency' feeling better than when I started so I intend to play a little, work a little and rest a little. I only work a few hours a week and can see that coming to an end soon.

I did an internet shop on Saturday morning at 8am - it's coming tonight at 10pm but they haven't got half the things I ordered (including loo rolls). I shall try a different supermarket next time although Ocado is on shut-down at present. I might 'live a little' and try them all.

Radiorails

master brummie
Its is so curious. Of all the comments about the dreaded 'lurgy', none have mentioned bowel movements. So why all the panic with toilet rolls? :laughing:

Radiorails

master brummie
One job that I have been continually placing on the back burner is cleaning the interior of the car. It got done yesterday - or most of it anyway.

Smudger

master brummie
Being the lazy so & so that i am, i`m fortunate that i`m limited to what exercise`s i can do. I have amongst several ailments, a Diastasis Recti, an ailment that usually affects pregnant women. It`s a tear in the stomach wall, brought about by heavy lifting, so luckily my Wife as well as being beautiful is as strong as an ox & can easily lift me up from the floor when i`ve had too much of the amber nectar. (just kidding, can`t remember the last time i was tipsy.):innocent:

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Yes, Radiorails, that's true - why the panic buying of toilet rolls I do not know. Perhaps it's the one thing they think they haven't got an alternative for. I well remember the nail and string with newspaper on at Nan's.

oldMohawk

master brummie
I have have a childhood memory from the 1940s of sitting in the lavatory looking at cut up sheets of newspaper hanging on a nail. Sometimes led me to read the 'News of the World' when I should not have.
I seem to remember occasionally we had the 'luxury' of bought sheets of Izal toilet paper which always seemed slightly abrasive ... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.