• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

oldMohawk

master brummie
I'm going to have a go a making the NYT mask ... it's something to do ... :cool:
1_1514.jpg
I've folded a piece of an old tee shirt at the red straight line and ironed it.
Marked out the shapes ... the one on the right looks larger because of the camera.
I'm going to sew along the dotted red lines before cutting the shapes. This is different to the NYT instructions of cutting four shapes then sewing.
The big problem I will have is using my late wife's sewing machine.
I haven't a clue but there is a manual which I need to read and hopefully learn ...:grinning:
If successful I shall use the mask if I need to visit relatives.

rosie

brummie
Old Mohawk, have a look at Youtube before you use the machine, it would be difficult to get it fixed!
For teeshirt material a ballpoint needle would be best with a stretch stitch setting. (I worked briefly at a Singer shop!). Good Luck!
rosie.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Phil,

My brother taught himself to use my late mother's machine and became quite proficient with it. Good luck with that.

Maurice :cool:

oldMohawk

master brummie
Old Mohawk, have a look at Youtube before you use the machine, it would be difficult to get it fixed!
For teeshirt material a ballpoint needle would be best with a stretch stitch setting. (I worked briefly at a Singer shop!). Good Luck!
rosie.
Thanks Rosie, I've had a quick glance at the manual and the machine already appears to have a cotton reel on and cotton on the bobbin. I shall try test runs on the material before going along the dotted lines. One useful thing is the tee-shirt material does not appear to fray at the edges.
oldmohawk :)

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
OM
A man of your calibre will have no problem, because they are electronic, all singing, all dancing nowadays and that appears to be your forte. My wife has a machine for quilting, ome you can carry to the local sewing club, when it was a simple Snger, no problems, I could use it, now I am frightened of it.

Give it your best

Bob

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
MEMO TO ALL MEMBERS

• Just be careful because people are going crazy from being in lock down!
    Actually I've just been talking about this with the microwave and toaster while drinking coffee and all of us agreed that things are getting bad.
    I didn't mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on everything, and certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant.
    In the end though, the iron calmed me down as she said everything will be fine, no situation is too pressing. The hoover was very unsympathetic... told me to just suck it up, but the fan was more optimistic and hoped it would all soon blow over!
    The toilet looked a bit flushed when I asked its opinion, and didn’t say anything but the door knob told me to get a grip.
    The front door said I was unhinged and so the curtains told me to ...
    Yes, you guessed it ... pull myself together :D :D :D

jmadone

master brummie
Another parody about our situation......................https://www.facebook.com/354016597974101/posts/3581083405267388/

Victoria Wood memories.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
MEMO TO ALL MEMBERS

• Just be careful because people are going crazy from being in lock down!
    Actually I've just been talking about this with the microwave and toaster while drinking coffee and all of us agreed that things are getting bad.
    I didn't mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on everything, and certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant.
    In the end though, the iron calmed me down as she said everything will be fine, no situation is too pressing. The hoover was very unsympathetic... told me to just suck it up, but the fan was more optimistic and hoped it would all soon blow over!
    The toilet looked a bit flushed when I asked its opinion, and didn’t say anything but the door knob told me to get a grip.
    The front door said I was unhinged and so the curtains told me to ...
    Yes, you guessed it ... pull myself together :D :D :D
lyn i dont know if your on meds...but you need some now.:grinning::grinning:1585807817777.png

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
good morning campers :grinning: hope you are all well today and my little memo to you all (post 451)raised a smile:) its been a tad too cold for me to work in the garden but i think the weather is due to warm up soon...

stay well ...stay safe

lyn