• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Radiorails

master brummie
Confinement, I believed initially, would mean watching more tv. However, it has been the reverse.
I have listened to things on my pc and radio far more than usual. I got tired of so much talking! Either on the news, women people telling me what I learned years ago and of course the fast talking (usually Americans of tv dramas.
Silence, believe it or not, can be golden.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think this is a sign of our current times. Its only just occurred to me this evening that my wrist watch and our kitchen clock are one hour behind. It’s made absolutely no difference to me over the last two days that I’ve been carrying on my daily routine without even noticing I’m one hour behind ! And does it matter ? Well no in the current situation. Viv.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Viv,

I didn't put mine forward until this afternoon.

Alan,

You don't realise what a waste of time most TV is until you've found something better to do. I haven't watched TV for more than 15 years. We had satellite TV specially installed for when the grandchildren came over the first time. They looked at it for less than a minute, huffed & puffed, and went back to their phones and games. It hasn't been turned on since. Then last year a high wind separated the dish from its bracket & cable, so I put it in the bin. Just like removing a weed from the garden. :)
No other visitors have ever asked about TV. We don't watch sport either so the TV is just one more item to dust!

Maurice :cool:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
morning all hope you are all well...we are all doing ok here although as all of us are we are finding it difficult...i am sure that like myself we are all keeping in touch with our friends and family via social media..phone calls texts etc and trying to keep each others spirits up...my cousin tony same age as me lives in worcester and has voluntered to work the land if needed...he would be following in in moms footsteps as she was in the land army and worked the land all of her working life...keep up the good work folks :)

stay well...stay safe

lyn

Last edited:

Big Gee

master brummie
Most TV is indeed crap, pardon the expression, but last night I watched 'Rambo - First Blood' which I haven't seen for years. My wife saw what I was watching, and snorted her derision. However, in five minutes we were both gawping at it in silence. A totally unreal and barmy film but great entertainment!

G

Smudger

master brummie
I just did a google to see if whisky could be used as a hand sanitizer, it can as long as it`s 120 proof which i doubt you could buy in this country & besides, whisky (with a dash of lemonade ) should only be used for pleasure & after 6pm!:innocent:

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Most TV is indeed crap, pardon the expression, but last night I watched 'Rambo - First Blood' which I haven't seen for years. My wife saw what I was watching, and snorted her derision. However, in five minutes we were both gawping at it in silence. A totally unreal and barmy film but great entertainment!

G
WARNING:do not watch if screemish or dont like blood ...
1585726823400.png
i have the box set.and one of them is very gory.and realistic

Radiorails

master brummie
Not all tv is crap. Michael Portillo does some very entertaining railway travels & Greys Anatomy is excellent, & any speech made by Mr Trump is always good for a larf!
Portillo, Tarrant, Porridge and Dad's Army to quote four are great but like much else it had been on before so many times. You know what is coming so there is no element of surprise.

Radiorails

master brummie
View attachment 143666 and for medicinal purposes any time
Most of 'The Duke's' films are always worth watching - even if seen many times before.
The comments in the thread below are interesting and maybe you could try the recipe. ;)

Big Gee

master brummie
Talking Pictures TV is on Channel 81 and shows (mostly) British films from the past 85 years (seriously). A lot of them really aren't worth watching, but recently they've shown a couple of the old Jimmy Edwards flicks which are still funny, and a lot of wartime and post-war action films with people like John Mills and Kenneth More. Not to everyone's taste (I hate More's self-satisfied smirk), but there is the occasional gem - recently 'We Dive At Dawn' about the mini-submarine attack on 'Tirpitz'. And I can watch 'Battle Of The River Plate' any time. Good film.

G

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Most of 'The Duke's' films are always worth watching - even if seen many times before.
The comments in the thread below are interesting and maybe you could try the recipe. ;)
i liked the first 2 rooster films.:)

Rooster Cogburn after dinner with Mattie and Chin Lee, sees a rat in the corner, draws pistol, cocks it and points it at the rat, speaks drunkenly Mr. Rat! I have a writ here says you're to stop eatin' Chin Lee's cornmeal forthwith! It's a rat writ, writ' for a rat, and this is lawful service of same!
rat squeaks, Cogburn looks at Mattie
Rooster Cogburn : See? Doesn't pay any attention to me.
then shoots rat dead
Chen Lee : runs in from kitchen, yells angrily Outside is place for shooting!

Rooster Cogburn : I'm servin' some papers!

Radiorails

master brummie
Do we really need all theses experts to tell us how to make a mask? As a youngster I remember many kids had home made ones - which they made - when they were the 'Lone Ranger' or a gangster. :laughing: