• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I have to take my westie for a haircut tomorrow, after that i shall be hermiting as much as possible. I think going out for a drive should be ok, & i know many stretches of beach where i can exercise my westie. I shall miss shopping, stopping off at Costa for a nice cappuccino. I think the next few months are going to test us all,especially those who have underlying health problems ( i have copd) so i have to be really careful. My wife is a hugger, but i`ve told her that is a no-no from now on!! Stay safe & sane everyone.
my pooch harry has a huge garden he wizzies around that.smudge. i will miss going mooching through the woods:sob:.i can always mess with my old tractors.and junk.if i get fed up of digging.:grinning:As he once said in Hill st blues. "You be carefull out there"

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
This has turned into a great thread. What interesting things you people get up to. Lots of helpful ideas and suggestions coming out too. Very uplifting, thanks all. Keep ‘em coming everyone. Let’s put some sunshine back into our days.

And take good care of yourselves. Viv.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
In a conversation with my doctor he said that self isolating when you have no symptoms doesn't mean you have to stay indoors so long as you keep a safe distant from other people, I am walking the dogs when I know there are not many other people around.
The good news is that if you live near a National Trust park or garden they have now dropped all entry charges and the car park charges. Alberta.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
In a conversation with my doctor he said that self isolating when you have no symptoms doesn't mean you have to stay indoors so long as you keep a safe distant from other people, I am walking the dogs when I know there are not many other people around.
The good news is that if you live near a National Trust park or garden they have now dropped all entry charges and the car park charges. Alberta.
i would have preferred free admin when i was able to go. it is not much use now.
as you know i live in the sticks.no one around me but still confined to barracks

Last edited:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i am lucky to have a florist shop just a couple of mins walk from my house that also sells bedding plants...just been up and got enough to plant out my 3 belfast sinks when it stops raining :rolleyes: i really must get some colour into the garden now:)

lyn

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
i am lucky to have a florist shop just a couple of mins walk from my house that also sells bedding plants...just been up and got enough to plant out my 3 belfast sinks when it stops raining :rolleyes: i really must get some colour into the garden now:)

lyn
pics please lyn of the sinks when there ready:grinning:

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
I have to take my westie for a haircut tomorrow, after that i shall be hermiting as much as possible. I think going out for a drive should be ok, & i know many stretches of beach where i can exercise my westie. I shall miss shopping, stopping off at Costa for a nice cappuccino. I think the next few months are going to test us all,especially those who have underlying health problems ( i have copd) so i have to be really careful. My wife is a hugger, but i`ve told her that is a no-no from now on!! Stay safe & sane everyone.
Our dear old Westie, Paisley, 17 years old, had one ear up one down and had been debarked, we rescued her. We had to have put to sleep last week, broke our hearts, but she was in so much pain (IF only animals could talk!) Very sad and lonely without her, but we will try rescue another one, when all this is over23004814_1657042634385360_7005165044548670226_o.jpg when all this is over Had Westie now for years love them.

farmerdave

master brummie
Will try and get out for a walk each day. Fortunately we are close to the Surrey Hills and usually on weekdays there are not that many people around. We will miss stopping off for a coffee and pastry at a cafe as we should be self-distancing. There will be time to declutter in terms of getting rid of old clothes, books, DVDs and various correspondence. Time to read books that I haven't opened since asking for them as birthday or Christmas presents. There are several old people in our road who live alone. Will frequently phone them to see if they are OK and help them get shopping, collect a prescription etc.
Stay safe everybody. Dave

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
post a pic please of westie with name in pets pics smudge:)

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Thanks for this thread Lyn. I’d been giving this some thought over the last few days, because inevitably many of us are going to have even more time on our hands.

One thing many of us on BHF know well as retired or semi-retired people is how to make good use of the extra time we now have to ourselves - for many of us, the first in a very long time. I quickly decided that although semi-retired this was my time to do ‘my’ things. So with perhaps even more time on my hands, here are my ‘my’ things I’m planning if/when I self isolate.

This will be my time to be truly selfish ! With less distractions like going out, I can focus on getting our garden shipshape - and what a good time of year to be doing this. I have a lot of plants to move before we have a patio laid. So over the next few weeks I’ll probably need some help from the ‘In the Garden thread’.

One other thing that’s been hanging around unfinished is my getting to grips with linocutting. I took a course last year only to find out I was rubbish at it ! But I won’t be beaten. I feel I have the ability but lack the practice - she says hopefully. So there are my two self- isolation challenges.

And most of all I’m going to carry on thoroughly enjoying watching my new granddaughter develop. Thank goodness for the ability of mobile phones to keep us in visual contact, if not in direct contact.

Viv.
best of luck with the lino cutting. VIV

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did not know you could still get lino ! I take it that it is in small amounts, not big rolls. Off course , used for its original purpose, I would think it a lot easier to disinfect than carpets !!

Morturn

Super Moderator
I watched my dad waste his retirement. So, determine not to do the same I got a dog, now on my second and also built the biggest workshop I could fit in the garden.

I have been making a couple of hand made desktop organisers. They will end up as gifts for the family.

Attachments

Radiorails

master brummie
Linoleum is still preferred in many industrial or commercial premises. It is more durable and shows far less features of some uneven floors. It is far more durable and more slip resistant than the modern substitute. Often it is used on desks as a work surface. Some of the heavy mid brown coloured linoleum was lad in the watch room of a local fire station during WW2, it was there until last year, quite serviceable, when the place was demolished.
A private carpet and floor covering retailer may have off cuts of lino, occasionally, for those wanting to use it for a small project.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
I watched my dad waste his retirement. So, determine not to do the same I got a dog, now on my second and also built the biggest workshop I could fit in the garden.

I have been making a couple of hand made desktop organisers. They will end up as gifts for the family.
wow thats fantastic mort...should keep you out of trouble :)

JohnJames

master brummie
Drove to our local town here in Co Mayo in the west of Ireland today. With everything closed apart from food stores it was eerily quiet. All schools have been closed since Monday of last week but the school kids are obviously indoors as none of them around either. We live in a quiet country area so not much change there but some friends with medical conditions are self isolating. The farmers are still active as evidenced by tractors passing by towing bales of silage. The animals still have to be fed! For my wife and I it will be gardening and more gardening interspersed with bracing walks on the nearby beaches and country lanes. As avid readers we miss the libraries which are all closed .. Wishing all BHF members the very best in this trying time from the Emerald Isle☘

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Drove to our local town here in Co Mayo in the west of Ireland today. With everything closed apart from food stores it was eerily quiet. All schools have been closed since Monday of last week but the school kids are obviously indoors as none of them around either. We live in a quiet country area so not much change there but some friends with medical conditions are self isolating. The farmers are still active as evidenced by tractors passing by towing bales of silage. The animals still have to be fed! For my wife and I it will be gardening and more gardening interspersed with bracing walks on the nearby beaches and country lanes. As avid readers we miss the libraries which are all closed .. Wishing all BHF members the very best in this trying time from the Emerald Isle☘
excellent john thats the ticket....stay well

lyn

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did not know you could still get lino ! I take it that it is in small amounts, not big rolls. Off course , used for its original purpose, I would think it a lot easier to disinfect than carpets !!
Have no idea why I said ‘linocutting’ in my post !!! I think predictive text crept in. Of course I’m talking about Lino printing. But it does involve a lot of precise cutting/carving small blocks of craft lino using special tools. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years. I enjoyed the course - we tried various types of printing - but Lino is the one I want to carry on with.

So no Mike, I won’t be wrestling with large rolls of linoleum and won’t be be tempted to disinfect it either !!

Viv.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Have no idea why I said ‘linocutting’ in my post !!! I think predictive text crept in. Of course I’m talking about Lino printing. But it does involve a lot of precise cutting/carving small blocks of craft lino using special tools. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years. I enjoyed the course - we tried various types of printing - but Lino is the one I want to carry on with.

So no Mike, I won’t be wrestling with large rolls of linoleum and won’t be be tempted to disinfect it either !!

Viv.
1584566310763.png
i knew what you meant viv.the lino we used was small squares...

carolina

master brummie
Our local gym/aqua classes have been put on hold and they have confirmed they are going to put a video on their FB for us 'elderly' to view. Some restaurants are doing delivery services now, even for Mother's day, which is great for people who cant get out and also helps their businesses to get some money in.

Status
Not open for further replies.