• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I missed two posts the first time round and am still chuckling at 'charging his hearing aid from an overhead cable' from our midland pubs expert.
Radiorails, it is only one stool - it was from Ikea and very useful it is too. He's very careful about standing firmly on something ever since he fell off the window ledge and landed on the television. Too old for that malarky now.

Big THANK YOU to everyone who joined in.

mbenne

master brummie
Received a picture the other day of our Grandson at home. His Mom is a trainee teaching assistant and does work experience at his school - unlucky for him lol. Each morning she dresses him in his school uniform like any other school day, same start time etc. She has placed a desk for him in the hallway to avoid being distracted by tv and the temptation of his toys. His daily work is issued through the school website and he's made to sit down and do it. (the incentive to complete is that he gets to play earlier in the afternoon) He has been doing Maths and numeracy so to make it more interesting at break time his Dad has set up a tuck shop of biscuits snacks etc with a price list and gives him a daily allowance of £1. He can buy what he likes but can't overspend. On the first day he wanted another item from the shop but only had 4p. He looked doleful and was told he couldn't have anything else until the following day when he got his new daily allowance. My son says he has come on leaps and bounds with the concept of adding and subtracting coin values. Reminds me of when I was little and visiting relatives gave me hands full of loose change. I would quickly convert the coin values into the number of ice lollies I could buy at 1p ice pol, 3p orange lolly or a 3p Jubille from the corner shop. It also made me aware of the opportunity cost if I was too extravagant and bought a 6d choc ice or Cornish Mivi.

Inflation had set when this 60s price list was current but I'd still be looking to the bottom right hand corner as I reached up to the counter of the ice cream van- unless Mom and Dad were paying!!!
1585396274511.png

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Although I have a powered treadmill in the house for 20 minute boring walks, I will go out for long walks on fine days making sure I keep at least 2 metres from anyone I see.

I've recently used Facetime, Whatsapp, and Skype a lot more than I usually do.

For the first time ever I've ordered groceries etc online but first available delivery slot March 30th ... :rolleyes:
i took a walk to the local shop today for some tbags, i had a quick look,and the coast was clear, i was paying the lady,at a safe distance,and some numpty come in the shop and stood right by me. i shouted at him to shift away,from me. he said you are taking things a bit seriouse aren't you?...2 weeks isolation down the drain becouse of some. idiot.

Smudger

master brummie
I know this lockdown is essential but it`s so boring. Too cold for gardening, sick of watching tv. If i take my westie for a walk i have to wrap up like it`s still winter & it feels like it could snow! Asda have dropped their diesel & petrol prices, £1.08 & £1.02, but we can`t use the car to go out anywhere that`s not essential. PS It has just started sleeting.:(

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I know this lockdown is essential but it`s so boring. Too cold for gardening, sick of watching tv. If i take my westie for a walk i have to wrap up like it`s still winter & it feels like it could snow! Asda have dropped their diesel & petrol prices, £1.08 & £1.02, but we can`t use the car to go out anywhere that`s not essential. PS It has just started sleeting.:(
i have give the tv up as a bad job.today is sunny so i have been messing about in the shed.fuel is £1.17 here. but cant go out to get any.they say its not essential. but with out fuel i cant get out to get essentials. :(

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i have just dug out (excuse the pun :D) an old box set of 8 time team in your garden programmes...not watched them for years so i will wack them in my lappy and give them a go....one of episodes is when they uncovered boultons soho manufactury..think it was shot around 1998...will start with that one later...... it shows an old boyfriend (we were 17 at the time) and his family helping out when they dug up his parents garden in south road hockley..really wished they had not ended time team..great stuff...just watching gavin and stacy at the min... :grinning: :grinning:

lyn

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
i have just dug out (excuse the pun :D) an old box set of 8 time team in your garden programmes...not watched them for years so i will wack them in my lappy and give them a go....one of episodes is when they uncovered boultons soho manufactury..think it was shot around 1998...will start with that one later...... it shows an old boyfriend (we were 17 at the time) and his family helping out when they dug up his parents garden in south road hockley..really wished they had not ended time team..great stuff...just watching gavin and stacy at the min... :grinning: :grinning:

lyn
i have been watching dixon of dock green on youtube. these last few nights.as smudge said nowt on tv. worth watching lately.......lyn what ep no was it so we can have a look

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
as said pete its in a box set called time team in your garden...the espisode is called SOHO and it looks like its episode no 4...right must go and cook now...home made chips bacon egg and round of bread and butter

lyn:)

Lady Penelope

master brummie
This is what my husband has been making for me during the 'emergency'. I have trouble with an ordinary trolley as the bag fights back and also you also have to twist your arm to pull it- the handle isn't at the right angle for me. I wanted to be able to walk up to the shops and pick up some things early in the morning without coming home with a sore elbow.
The wheels were from our next-door-neighbour, the body is a linen basket and the stick is obvious - my son found it in a cupboard at his house. The stand is part of a kitchen roll holder. Heath Robinson eat your heart out!!

Trolley.jpg

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
This is what my husband has been making for me during the 'emergency'. I have trouble with an ordinary trolley as the bag fights back and also you also have to twist your arm to pull it- the handle isn't at the right angle for me. I wanted to be able to walk up to the shops and pick up some things early in the morning without coming home with a sore elbow.
The wheels were from our next-door-neighbour, the body is a linen basket and the stick is obvious - my son found it in a cupboard at his house. The stand is part of a kitchen roll holder. Heath Robinson eat your heart out!!

View attachment 143474
brilliant that is what i like to see, people being constructive, not destructive:)