• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

ade

master brummie
Just finished restoration job on my 1936 Humber bike. Nothing like spending time in the shed to take your mind off these trying times.
That's a nice looking bike there John
My hobby is restoring old bikes, I'm working on an old Royce Union at the moment and it does, like you say, take your mind away from all this madness

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Thank goodness for this forum with all you friendly folks to chat too in this trying time.it keeps the little grey cells active. :)
thanks for the vote of confidence pete...the nation must pull together ..we will get through this...

my son in laws firm is now on lock down so he will now be acting as house husband and looking after my 3 year old grandson at home while my daughter is able to continue her job in a care home...

todays task....think i will wait for it to warm up a bit then tackle the front garden...

take care...stay safe

lyn

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
thanks for the vote of confidence pete...the nation must pull together ..we will get through this...

my son in laws firm is now on lock down so he will now be acting as house husband and looking after my 3 year old grandson at home while my daughter is able to continue her job in a care home...

todays task....think i will wait for it to warm up a bit then tackle the front garden...

take care...stay safe

lyn
ta.lyn it is getting warmer the sun is out.so later i might. get the strimmer out. but have to watch, the dreaded knotweed by the river.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fence painting today, looks a bit rough after the winter.
Green bin collection cancelled today until after Easter, quite a bit in ours because we have been having a good clean up in the garden and Steve mowed the lawns.
My middle son is working from home but his wife is a manager at Doctors surgery they are doing a doctor call back service.
My youngest works alone so he is still working , his wife is primary school teacher, she and her colleagues are working a rota system to care for the children that qualify to still go to school, my 2 grandchildren are going in with her.
My eldest son is a nurse in a Care home, they are in lockdown.
Looking forward to the day when this is just a bad memory, Alberta.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Green bin collection cancelled today until after Easter, quite a bit in ours because we have been having a good clean up in the garden and Steve mowed the lawns.
My middle son is working from home but his wife is a manager at Doctors surgery they are doing a doctor call back service.
My youngest works alone so he is still working , his wife is primary school teacher, she and her colleagues are working a rota system to care for the children that qualify to still go to school, my 2 grandchildren are going in with her.
a family to be proud of Alberta.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
good for you alberta...keep up the good work...my daughters care home went onto lockdown 2 weeks ago in antisipation of this happening...

take care everyone...enjoy sun :D

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a reasonable weather forecast for the time being. So I’m in the garden quite a lot at the moment. Started off yesterday (and am doing every day) FaceTiming and coffee in the garden to talk to my daughter and granddaughter. (Thank goodness we can connect in this way at the moment). Have mowed the grass for the first time. But we had a light frost last night, so beware.

Then later on my son FaceTimed from New York. He’s making the most of his rooftop terrace in glorious sunshine. I’ve even joined in his live exercise gym class - well I say joined in, it was more like ‘watched’ ! I’m so glad I can keep in touch in this way. It gives welcome reassurance to each of us.

Viv.

JohnJames

master brummie
It's looking good, John, and hard to realise that it is over 80 years old.

Maurice :cool:
Thanks Maurice. A lot of these old Roadster bikes are being found in barns here in Ireland. There is a bit of a restoration movement going on around them.For some reason they are known as High Nellie's in Ireland. This one was put away in the 1980s when the old farmer who had been using it for fifty years passed away.

Stay safe

John

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Thanks Maurice. A lot of these old Roadster bikes are being found in barns here in Ireland. There is a bit of a restoration movement going on around them.For some reason they are known as High Nellie's in Ireland. This one was put away in the 1980s when the old farmer who had been using it for fifty years passed away.

Stay safe

John
great i learnd to ride on one of them in county down. as a kid by putting my right leg through the frame.to pedal it

JohnJames

master brummie
great i learnd to ride on one of them in county down. as a kid by putting my right leg through the frame.to pedal it
t
They are actually quite comfortable to ride despite being single speed. I am looking forward to getting out on this one as part of my daily exercise. Getting out locally is a bit more possible here as it is a quiet country area, so little chance of large groups forming.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
t

They are actually quite comfortable to ride despite being single speed. I am looking forward to getting out on this one as part of my daily exercise. Getting out locally is a bit more possible here as it is a quiet country area, so little chance of large groups forming.
same here john there is hardly anyone about.for miles yet alone 3 feet away.i would like another old rod brake bike to mooch about on now its quiet. i got rid of the ebike they are too expensive to maintain.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I've just finished editing the Parish Magazine and my proof reader has done corrections over the phone. As we can't get it printed (the church is closed) I shall save as a PDF and send it to everyone who normally delivers it and ask them to forward it to as many people as possible. Unfortunately, the ones I would like it to go to are those who don't have internet access. I've had to keep updating it as services and concerts have been cancelled.

All the groups which normally run have paused for this emergency and I feel really sorry for those who attend the Lunch Club, usually held today. They are collected, given a good lunch and a bit of conversation and company, then taken home. For some people it's the only time they get out.