• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I've just emptied the pantry to see what was in there. I'm trying to re-hydrate some Chinese shitake mushrooms but at the moment they won't. It says soak in warm water for 20 minutes - still like leather! So I'm giving them a good boil.

Also tidied my desk and bookshelves - first thing I looked for today I couldn't find. I'm sure it will come to light one day, in completely the wrong place.

Going out first thing on Monday morning to ram-raid the greengrocers. Fruit and veg are run very low at the moment but it's a good time to use everything up. I've tried to get onto Sainsbury's website but without success. They have a phone number for elderly (am I elderly? I thought I was still young) and vulnerable people but I've given up trying. I think the thing that I would miss most is fresh fruit and veg so those are being rationed.
i bet they will taste like shiit ake as well:)

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
now y
However our forbears and a lot of us saw worse than this eighty years ago and we survived, so chins up, smile and think of all those lovely repeated coming on the television. I am waiting for She wore a Yellow Ribbon again, twenty years or so ago it was a regular.
You missed it Bob, That old favourite has been on tv twice in the last few days.!
now you tell me.
Right I promised you all earth shattering news today and here it is. I am typing this on my laptop, but using my works desktop and I also have my works phone on my dining room table taking calls made to the office, additionally I can print from home and also converse through the phone extension system with the other home bodies and this is the good bit, I did the connections with no outside help. The wife is not very happy with the ten metres of orange cable running across the middle of the lounge, up the hall into the dining room, but I told her technology rules. On the serious side would any of us in the 50s or 60s believed that something like this would have been possible, isn't life grand? Happy Days
Bob

Radiorails

master brummie
A word of advice for those like Bob who have had to make extra arrangements with electronics and electrical items.

No matter how unsightly 'er indoors - or anyone else, for that matter, thinks it looks - DO NOT RUN CABLES/FLEXES BENEATH CARPETS OR RUGS. Also avoid multiple connections to reel cable type extensions.
I write not as an electrician - we all know one we can ask I guess - but as a former firefighter

Radiorails

master brummie
Reading Lady P;s post (220) prompts me to mention that many corner shops and independent butchers and greengrocers may have what you need. A friend, who is not in the 'old and vulnerable' bracket just yet, told me that private local traders shops were stocked with fruit, meats and necessary items. It does seem out love affair with supermarkets have made many forget these people - who let us not forget - were once our principal source of food in the past.

oldMohawk

master brummie
now y

now you tell me.
Right I promised you all earth shattering news today and here it is. I am typing this on my laptop, but using my works desktop and I also have my works phone on my dining room table taking calls made to the office, additionally I can print from home and also converse through the phone extension system with the other home bodies and this is the good bit, I did the connections with no outside help. The wife is not very happy with the ten metres of orange cable running across the middle of the lounge, up the hall into the dining room, but I told her technology rules. On the serious side would any of us in the 50s or 60s believed that something like this would have been possible, isn't life grand? Happy Days
Bob
Hi Bob, If your 10 metre cable is only carrying data from the router to your laptop it could be replaced by a wi-fi connection. Routers generally have wi-fi output and laptops usually have a wi-fi adapter so the data can travel via wi-fi. I am posting this from a laptop at least 30ft from the router and the speed is 44mbps. It is not as fast as a cable but quite adequate for most uses.
oldmohawk ... :)

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Reading Lady P;s post (220) prompts me to mention that many corner shops and independent butchers and greengrocers may have what you need. A friend, who is not in the 'old and vulnerable' bracket just yet, told me that private local traders shops were stocked with fruit, meats and necessary items. It does seem out love affair with supermarkets have made many forget these people - who let us not forget - were once our principal source of food in the past.
ALAN i have been saying that for years. support your local arkwright not the millionaire SUPERMARKETS.

jmadone

master brummie
In conversation with my brother in law by telephone this evening discussing the latest rules/restrictions. He said that this 2 metre rule is nothing new at all, he and his wife have been practising it for the last twenty years ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

wendylee

master brummie
Soups are a great way to combine ingredients Pete. I make soup quite a lot and, like you, freeze excess. When I defrost it I add a few fresh vegetables to it to give it some ‘umpf’ (and vitamins of course !). Viv.
I retrieved a container of soup from the freezer the other day, it was minestrone...I think.. haha no it was minestrone, it didnt look very appetising at all. I slowly heated it for lunch , the more I heated it the better it looked, then it started to smell nice, I could see what looked like baked beans in it ....I sometimes put a few baked beans in my minestrone soup ...when it was finally ready I really enjoyed it :yum...surprising really as it looked horrible in its frozen state. I am sure in these difficult times when we cant always get to the shops we will all find some odd looking meals in the freezer hiding at the back and not labelled :rolleyes::joy::joy: but try them you might enjoy them haha

Status
Not open for further replies.