• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
So, it looks that we may be forced into lockdown by the government very shortly, so me and Hilary discussed ideas to take our mind off the present crisis ( impossible to do, but we can at least try )
As a lot of you may know we have a touring caravan which luckily for us lives on our drive. so Hilary said we could go out to the caravan where we could make drinks, read, watch telly or listen to the radio.
I said that sitting in the caravan might be a good idea we could make believe that we are away on some nice place etc but the only thing that keeps drawing us back to the crisis is the fact that our caravan is a Compass Make and the model is a Corona, you can't make it up can you. ?

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
So, it looks that we may be forced into lockdown by the government very shortly, so me and Hilary discussed ideas to take our mind off the present crisis ( impossible to do, but we can at least try )
As a lot of you may know we have a touring caravan which luckily for us lives on our drive. so Hilary said we could go out to the caravan where we could make drinks, read, watch telly or listen to the radio.
I said that sitting in the caravan might be a good idea we could make believe that we are away on some nice place etc but the only thing that keeps drawing us back to the crisis is the fact that our caravan is a Compass Make and the model is a Corona, you can't make it up can you. ?
great idea jim...as regards the name of your van...just for now get some tape and cover it up :D

Radiorails

master brummie
However our forbears and a lot of us saw worse than this eighty years ago and we survived, so chins up, smile and think of all those lovely repeated coming on the television. I am waiting for She wore a Yellow Ribbon again, twenty years or so ago it was a regular.
You missed it Bob, That old favourite has been on tv twice in the last few days.!

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
However our forbears and a lot of us saw worse than this eighty years ago and we survived, so chins up, smile and think of all those lovely repeated coming on the television. I am waiting for She wore a Yellow Ribbon again, twenty years or so ago it was a regular.
You missed it Bob, That old favourite has been on tv twice in the last few days.!
Alan You got that right, I like many in this group got though that and so you will now and we DID NOT HAVE THE BLOODY TELLY

Attachments

john knight

signman
We are now on lockdown, (about time), so now we have to decide what to do whilst we are isolated, I have so many things to do I don't know where to start, so what are you going to do.

wendylee

master brummie
Wendy Tesco`s out of flour so if you`ve got some spare, stick a bag in Skippy`s pouch & tell him to hop over. I need my chocolate cake!!
Oh Sorry Smudger, wish i could and definitely would if i was there :blush:
The community spirit here has been brilliant, we have a small trolley outside our local milk bar (only shop in Teesdale) there is always something going free on it, a few weeks ago it was quince and two boxes full of capsicums, today there were plums and windfall apples...we have apple crumble tonight.;)
We are only a small community of 1500 , I know lots of them living here 34 years.
There has been offers of toilet rolls for anyone unable to get them, I bought eggs from a lovely local lady yesterday $4 for dozen farm eggs. Offers of lifts or help shopping to others who are unable to get to the shops. Good luck with the flour next shopping trip Smudger.
I hope you get your chocolate cake soon .
Wendy

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
well done jim,i too have a caravan at the top of the garden were i have a tv etc. i do sit in there in the sun. and pretend:grinning:

Attachments

Radiorails

master brummie
We now have had three days of no rain at any time. WOW!! Time to get into the sun - even if it is not doing something strenuous. Today is even better here - the easterly wind has dropped. My church is closed for public worship but is open for one hour each morning for private intentions. I have everything sorted out as a replacement; a great number of churches are live streaming, so at most times of the day (6.30 am - 10 pm) there is something I can watch and mentally participate with.
I think my railway is on the top of the list for today's outdoor work - but of course other factors may take precedence.
I guess most of us with gardens have much that can be done but as they say 'softly, softly, catchee monkey'. :D

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
As we’re now all isolating and distancing, I’m realising quite a few ‘positives’. Here are one or two:

I don’t have to rush at anything, no work, no rushing to get things done, just ourselves to look after
Lots of time for a relaxing coffee in the garden while the sunshine lasts (albeit in a sheltered spot away from the winds)
Time to plan things, ponder them, refine, put off for another day if I feel like it. No rush there either. And bringing down the blood pressure.
Talking to family members (online, FaceTime etc) but in a more relaxed way. Although they’re working from home they have more time and attention to family
Being creative with food by checking out the back of the food cupboard, could generate some interesting recipes ! Maybe someone could devise a new BHF recipe book, with historical references - ha ha !
So basically I’m saying - worries apart at this dreadful time - we can uncover some very simple and uplifting moments. I’m on a mission to find as many as I can. Thanks to those who are adding their lovely stories, suggestions and rays of sunshine to this thread.

Viv.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
As we’re now all isolating and distancing, I’m realising quite a few ‘positives’. Here are one or two:

I don’t have to rush at anything, no work, no rushing to get things done, just ourselves to look after
Lots of time for a relaxing coffee in the garden while the sunshine lasts (albeit in a sheltered spot away from the winds)
Time to plan things, ponder them, refine, put off for another day if I feel like it. No rush there either. Bringing down the blood pressure.
Talking to family members (online, FaceTime etc) but in a more relaxed way. Although they’re working from home they have more time and attention to family
Being creative with food by checking out the back of the food cupboard, could generate some interesting recipes ! Maybe someone could devise a new BHF recipe book, with historical references - ha ha !
So basically I’m saying - worries apart at this dreadful time - we can uncover some very simple and uplifting moments. I’m on a mission to find as many as I can. Thanks to those who are adding their lovely stories, suggestions and rays of sunshine to this thread.

Viv.
thanks for thepost viv. I put all my old bits and bobs from the cupboard into the blender last night and made a load of soup. and it dont taste to bad:yum.:Dthen i froze it as a stand by..

devonjim

master brummie

Time to plan things, ponder them, refine, put off for another day if I feel like it. No rush there either. And bringing down the blood pressure.

Viv.
Viv. That's called "RETIRED"

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Soups are a great way to combine ingredients Pete. I make soup quite a lot and, like you, freeze excess. When I defrost it I add a few fresh vegetables to it to give it some ‘umpf’ (and vitamins of course !). Viv.

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jim - yes, looking forward to it ! I see myself as semi-retired and having always worked it’s quite an adjustment to just do as I please (without the guilt and within reason). And I like it ! Viv.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I've just emptied the pantry to see what was in there. I'm trying to re-hydrate some Chinese shitake mushrooms but at the moment they won't. It says soak in warm water for 20 minutes - still like leather! So I'm giving them a good boil.

Also tidied my desk and bookshelves - first thing I looked for today I couldn't find. I'm sure it will come to light one day, in completely the wrong place.

Going out first thing on Monday morning to ram-raid the greengrocers. Fruit and veg are run very low at the moment but it's a good time to use everything up. I've tried to get onto Sainsbury's website but without success. They have a phone number for elderly (am I elderly? I thought I was still young) and vulnerable people but I've given up trying. I think the thing that I would miss most is fresh fruit and veg so those are being rationed.

Status
Not open for further replies.