• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
We had a safe couple of hours walk enjoying todays sunshine. Walked round the perimeter of a golf course & onto a fairly secluded beach. We could see in the distance the main beach & car park which looked exceedingly busy. I guess some folk just don`t care about being cautious or maybe the sunshine is driving folk stir crazy. Hopefully the wife will get what she needs for cake baking tomorrow ( Tesco have a slot for the elderly tomorrow as do most supermarkets)
put the flowers on the grave, and went in asda there was only a few in there. so i got some more emergency tinned chomp. i might end up fitting the cupboard back on the wall during isolation,:grinning:

jmadone

master brummie
We had a safe couple of hours walk enjoying todays sunshine. Walked round the perimeter of a golf course & onto a fairly secluded beach. We could see in the distance the main beach & car park which looked exceedingly busy. I guess some folk just don`t care about being cautious or maybe the sunshine is driving folk stir crazy. Hopefully the wife will get what she needs for cake baking tomorrow ( Tesco have a slot for the elderly tomorrow as do most supermarkets)
I hope you can get what you want, I baked a cake yesterday from a recipe I hadn't used before, but it involved eating apples.
It turned out to be not a cake, not a pudding but a something in between! With a bit of custard it might turn out O.K.

Dave89

master brummie
Hi.

A couple of jokes of 'These trying times' which I trust no-one will see as anything but positive.

A report from Germany said that stocks of Sausage and Cheese were running low, but ended with
saying ' this is a Wurst Kase scenario'!

A chap who had problems buying toilet rolls used lettuce leaves instead, - he commented
'And this is just the tip of the Iceberg!'

Kind regards
Dave

wendylee

master brummie
We shall be going out this lovely afternoon. I know some quiet beaches where we can enjoy a walk & the dog can have a run around. Self distancing. Will try Sainsburys special hour for over 70`s tomorrow. Wife needs some stuff for her cake baking.
I did an "pensioners" shop this morning at Woollies , ours start at 7am!! So I was up at the crack of dawn haha I bought baking items, I was lucky to get flour, apricots, sultanas and baking powder , yippee....good luck with the ingredients for your wife's baking Smudger. Dont forget the self distancing :rolleyes::blush:
Wendy

Smudger

master brummie
I did an "pensioners" shop this morning at Woollies , ours start at 7am!! So I was up at the crack of dawn haha I bought baking items, I was lucky to get flour, apricots, sultanas and baking powder , yippee....good luck with the ingredients for your wife's baking Smudger. Dont forget the self distancing :rolleyes::blush:
Wendy
Wendy Tesco`s out of flour so if you`ve got some spare, stick a bag in Skippy`s pouch & tell him to hop over. I need my chocolate cake!!

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Wendy Tesco`s out of flour so if you`ve got some spare, stick a bag in Skippy`s pouch & tell him to hop over. I need my chocolate cake!!
Whats that Skippy, Wendy can't spare any flour, but you'll queue early for me tomorrow and get some, providing no one gets stuck down a well or is kidnapped or any of the other myriad things you have had to put up with in the past.....ripper
Bob

jmadone

master brummie
I don't know which thread to put this post on, Trying times or In the Garden, but this morning I sowed my tomato seeds and put them in my small greenhouse. I also turned over part of my veg plot and prepared the ground to get my onions in before it's too late. I'll put these in tomorrow, weather permitting as I didn't want to overdo it again in case I put my back out again.
:eek::eek::sob:

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
So this is the new life eh? Saturday and Sunday we grubbed up (by hand) a holly bush that once was variegated, but because of pruning had turned back to green and replaced it with a Magnolia Stellata. Surprisingly the Holly had put down an unbelievable root network and then the lady wife ignored her bad back and sorted out three of the four borders in our front garden and mowed the small pocket handkerchief lawn while I painted the fence, however what was nice was that our son brought two roast dinners and mixed berry crumbles around on Sunday. Roast Lamb, delicious. Surprisingly enough the jobs I had earmarked for the afternoon did not get done. However the tip was open, so I was able to get rid of a lot of excess vegetation to prevent the green wheelie bin (due for collection this week) from overflowing. Wach for my report tomorrow. We have closed down the business and are all working from home. The information on the company computers has all been put on our individual computers and the the company telephones are also going home with us so that no diversions etc are necessary, ring the business number and you come through on the phone like you normally would. What I would ask is that OM and all you other computer whizz kids just slip down here to help me make the necessary connections like putting one end of the 10 metre orange lead that I have been given into the router ( I thought that was a joinery tool) and the other end into the phone.....in the words of the old song 'there may be troubles ahead....' On the serious side, the telephone at work has only rung eight times, four of which were to cancel courses and already this month turnover is 75% down on last month which was with November, December and January amongst the worst months we have seen since the business started 30 years ago. On the bright side after only five days without rain since late September we have now had three dry days. However our forbears and a lot of us saw worse than this eighty years ago and we survived, so chins up, smile and think of all those lovely repeated coming on the television. I am waiting for She wore a Yellow Ribbon again, twenty years or so ago it was a regular. Let you know how my home work station setting up goes tomorrow. Keep the posts coming, but most of all keep safe.

Bob

Last edited:

RobT

master brummie
Some put this on Facebook but said it could be shared

How grandchildren perceive their grandparents

1. I was in the bathroom, putting on my makeup, under the watchful eyes of my young granddaughter, as I'd done many times before. After I applied my lipstick and started to leave, the little one said, "But Grandma, you forgot to kiss the toilet paper good-bye!" I will probably never put lipstick on again without thinking about kissing the toilet paper good-bye....

2. My young grandson called the other day to wish me Happy Birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him, 72. My grandson was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "Did you start at 1?"
3. After putting her grandchildren to bed, a grandmother changed into old slacks and a droopy blouse and proceeded to wash her hair. As she heard the children getting more and more rambunctious, her patience grew thin. Finally, she threw a towel around her head and stormed into their room, putting them back to bed with stern warnings. As she left the room, she heard the three-year-old say with a trembling voice, "Who was THAT?"
4. A grandmother was telling her little granddaughter what her own childhood was like. "We used to skate outside on a pond. I had a swing made from a tire; it hung from a tree in our front yard. We rode our pony. We picked wild raspberries in the woods." The little girl was wide-eyed, taking this all in. At last she said, "I sure wish I'd gotten to know you sooner!"
5. My grandson was visiting one day when he asked, "Grandma, do you know how you and God are alike?" I mentally polished my halo and I said, "No, how are we alike?'' "You're both old," he replied.
6. A little girl was diligently pounding away on her grandfather's word processor. She told him she was writing a story.
"What's it about?" he asked.
"I don't know," she replied. "I can't read."

7. I didn't know if my granddaughter had learned her colors yet, so I decided to test her. I would point out something and ask what color it was. She would tell me and was always correct. It was fun for me, so I continued. At last, she headed for the door, saying, "Grandma, I really think you should try to figure out some of these colors yourself!"

8. When my grandson Billy and I entered our vacation cabin, we kept the lights off until we were inside to keep from attracting pesky insects. Still, a few fireflies followed us in. Noticing them before I did, Billy whispered, "It's no use Grandpa. Now the mosquitoes are coming after us with flashlights."

9. When my grandson asked me how old I was, I teasingly replied, "I'm not sure." "Look in your underwear, Grandpa," he advised "Mine says I'm 4 to 6." (WOW! I really like this one -- it says I'm only '38'!)

10. A second grader came home from school and said to her grandmother, "Grandma, guess what? We learned how to make babies today." The grandmother, more than a little surprised, tried to keep her cool. "That's interesting." she said. "How do you make babies?" "It's simple," replied the girl. "You just change 'y' to 'i' and add 'es'."

11. Children's Logic: "Give me a sentence about a public servant," said a teacher. The small boy wrote: "The fireman came down the ladder pregnant." The teacher took the lad aside to correct him. "Don't you know what pregnant means?" she asked. "Sure," said the young boy confidently. 'It means carrying a child."

12. A grandfather was delivering his grandchildren to their home one day when a fire truck zoomed past. Sitting in the front seat of the fire truck was a Dalmatian dog. The children started discussing the dog's duties.
"They use him to keep crowds back," said one child.
"No," said another. "He's just for good luck."
A third child brought the argument to a close. “They use the dogs," she said firmly, "to find the fire hydrants."

13. A 6-year-old was asked where his grandma lived. "Oh," he said, "she lives at the airport, and whenever we want her, we just go get her. Then, when we're done having her visit, we take her back to the airport."

14. Grandpa is the smartest man on earth! He teaches me good things, but I don't get to see him enough to get as smart as him!

15. My Grandparents are funny, when they bend over, you hear gas leaks and they blame their dog.

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.