• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THESE TRYING TIMES

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks as we are all aware by now we are all living in very trying times..after consideration we have decided to start this thread in the hopes it will help and benefit our members and to let you know you are not alone in the coming months ...as we all know the over 70s and those who are in a vulnerable position may soon have to stay indoors for a while and of course this will also apply to anyone of any age who has to self isolate so we thought it may be a good idea to let us know just how you will be spending your spare time or helping others if you can...

this thread does come with some rules though which we hope you will adhere to... so you can all help to keep this thread open for as long as you need it by not making any political..financial or scientific comments as we are having enough of that thrown at us at the moment....please use this thread to keep in touch with us all...we are always here

we all know what we need to do to stay safe my friends so on behalf of all of your moderators....jim and warren take care of yourselves everyone.. as my avatar suggests...ONWARD AND UPWARD X

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for this thread Lyn. I’d been giving this some thought over the last few days, because inevitably many of us are going to have even more time on our hands.

One thing many of us on BHF know well as retired or semi-retired people is how to make good use of the extra time we now have to ourselves - for many of us, the first in a very long time. I quickly decided that although semi-retired this was my time to do ‘my’ things. So with perhaps even more time on my hands, here are my ‘my’ things I’m planning if/when I self isolate.

This will be my time to be truly selfish ! With less distractions like going out, I can focus on getting our garden shipshape - and what a good time of year to be doing this. I have a lot of plants to move before we have a patio laid. So over the next few weeks I’ll probably need some help from the ‘In the Garden thread’.

One other thing that’s been hanging around unfinished is my getting to grips with linocutting. I took a course last year only to find out I was rubbish at it ! But I won’t be beaten. I feel I have the ability but lack the practice - she says hopefully. So there are my two self- isolation challenges.

And most of all I’m going to carry on thoroughly enjoying watching my new granddaughter develop. Thank goodness for the ability of mobile phones to keep us in visual contact, if not in direct contact.

Viv.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Hi Lyn,

Well at this time of the year the way in which I spend my time will not significantly change. It's very windy here at the moment, so working outside is not at all pleasant and the list of chores I have been given will have to take a back seat for a week or so. Throughout the winter I spend quite a lot of time online doing genealogical and other research and chatting to my various friends all over the world. Now having a fairly fast internet connection averaging about 48Mbps, it has now become more of a pleasure.

As we live in a rural village we are fairly safe and our neighbours, mostly farmers, have to do their planting and caring for animals irrespective of the wider troubles of the world. I imagione that is much different for those in a big urban community.

Please all stay safe and let us know that you are from time to time. Those of us with subscriptions to various online resources will continue to help wherever we can, but as archives and libraries are now closed, a few of the more difficult queries may have to wait until things get back to normal again.

Maurice :cool:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Talking to my doctor on the telephone yesterday (our surgery is in lock down) he said that for patients who are able they should do some kind of exercise whilst self isolating, mine will be doing the garden.
I also have a pile of jigsaws unopened until now so I may delve into them and a good time to go through years and years of family photos to weed out the out of focus ones , lol.
Alberta.

Radiorails

master brummie
The garden, despite being a little overgrown in parts, has had little attention since last year. Cold wind and frequent rain have kept us out of the garden for far too long. The equinox, Friday morning, may change the weather for the better - one lives in hope! e know what needs to be done but most of the dead plants and stalks we usually leave over the winter as mu wife insists that they are needed for 'critters' and bugs to make use of, as homes or whatever.
Luckily most of the montbretia, clumps which were adjacent to my railway track and a menace, were removed last year so all the track - which has not seen a train since December - is now quite clear. It is surprising how small gravels, used as track ballast are wonderful for germinating seeds. I thing is is the absorbed warmth that encourages it.
Anyway, once the areas adjacent to the line are dealt with - not long, maybe one day at most, I can then concentrate on track maintenance. I have to repaint some of the structures, but that is not a priority. I usually do that sort of thing on a warm, sunny day.
So - providing mother nature is kind I have plenty to amuse myself with and wet days may get me on the radio more often.
Given the longer time of daylight should be helpful. Maybe I will adopt a continental lifestyle, by getting up early - 7am at the latest and having a siesta in the afternoon. :laughing:
Hopefully BHF may help us weather this present time - at least you wont get torn to shreds here as some social places have, it seems, the habit of doing so.
Many posts on BHF relate to Members experiences and reminiscences of WW2: this thread will give - hopefully - a nice record of how we coped with 2020.

Reading the previous post by Vivienne, it does cross my mind that most of us have projects on the back burner that we can now complete!

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
When the weather is OK I still intend to ride my bike as much as I can. In Colorado USA we have at this time, 20 in hospital and two deaths so far. Everything is closed markets are out of a lot of foods. But is TRUE BRITISH FASHION I intend to KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON Like many I survived ww2 so this should be a piece of cake RIGHT!! I have many friends and relatives around the Brum area. Thanks to the BHF I feel like I am home everyday I read all the posts. GREAT STUFF THANKS

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
RIGHT :) old brit....thats the spirit..from last saturday i banned myself from any public transport...will only be shopping at my local shops a few mins walk away...although it maybe a pain trying to stay in a much as possible i do have plenty to occupy ...i have this forum which has always been a welcome distraction in tough times...plenty of history books not yet read...pick up my family ancestry again or help others with theirs...oh and i must re plant all my tubs..baskets and belfast sinks out back...that little lot should keep me out of trouble for a while:D:D:D

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
John,

That's the spirit. As my son said to me on Skype the other day, I bet you knew a lot worse than this. Well I didn't actually see any bombs come down, but I heard a few, and well remember the rationing. This should be a walk in the park if everyone behaves sensibly.

Lyn,

I hope the weather stays dry for you and all of us and we can get a few gasps of fresh air every so often. Stay safe friends!

Maurice :cool:

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Thanks for this thread Lyn. I’d been giving this some thought over the last few days, because inevitably many of us are going to have even more time on our hands.

One thing many of us on BHF know well as retired or semi-retired people is how to make good use of the extra time we now have to ourselves - for many of us, the first in a very long time. I quickly decided that although semi-retired this was my time to do ‘my’ things. So with perhaps even more time on my hands, here are my ‘my’ things I’m planning if/when I self isolate.

This will be my time to be truly selfish ! With less distractions like going out, I can focus on getting our garden shipshape - and what a good time of year to be doing this. I have a lot of plants to move before we have a patio laid. So over the next few weeks I’ll probably need some help from the ‘In the Garden thread’.

One other thing that’s been hanging around unfinished is my getting to grips with linocutting. I took a course last year only to find out I was rubbish at it ! But I won’t be beaten. I feel I have the ability but lack the practice - she says hopefully. So there are my two self- isolation challenges.

And most of all I’m going to carry on thoroughly enjoying watching my new granddaughter develop. Thank goodness for the ability of mobile phones to keep us in visual contact, if not in direct contact.

Viv.
well done viv. i used to do that as a kid. cut pics on lino and then print them. first covering them in ink with a fingerprint. roller. due to me being one of those who have no choice and have to stay put. I am going to start a veggie garden.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude

Viv.
Get Started in Lino Printing | Hobbycraft

guilbert53

master brummie
Some suggestions for "things to do":

Clear out your old emails. On one of my emails addresses I have over 2,500 "old" emails, some going back to 2012. Time to clear them out.

Clear out old paperwork. In my office I have old bank statements and other paperwork going back years. Time to clear them out (shred them if they contain personal or financial details).

Write (or email) to friends and relatives you have not contacted for years.

Write your life story for your family to read. There may be lots about your life your family do not know.

Sort out your old photos and negatives. If you have a scanner or printer with a scanner maybe scan them in to your computer.

Read those books you always meant to read.

Learn something "new". One of my young grandchildren is mad on science so for her Birthday recently I bought her a book about The Elements (Oxygen, Hydrogen, Gold, Mercury etc) and the Periodic table.

I realised I knew little about the Periodic table so went on YouTube and there are dozens of videos about Atoms and Elements (some aimed at children) and I have watched quite a few and they are really interesting.

One three part series on YouTube called "The Mystery of Matter" (each a hour) discusses the discovery of many of the elements and I found it fascinating. There are of course thousands of other videos on YouTube on all sorts of subjects, just search for them.

So you are never too old to learn something new!

Smudger

master brummie
I have to take my westie for a haircut tomorrow, after that i shall be hermiting as much as possible. I think going out for a drive should be ok, & i know many stretches of beach where i can exercise my westie. I shall miss shopping, stopping off at Costa for a nice cappuccino. I think the next few months are going to test us all,especially those who have underlying health problems ( i have copd) so i have to be really careful. My wife is a hugger, but i`ve told her that is a no-no from now on!! Stay safe & sane everyone.

oldMohawk

master brummie
Although I have a powered treadmill in the house for 20 minute boring walks, I will go out for long walks on fine days making sure I keep at least 2 metres from anyone I see.

I've recently used Facetime, Whatsapp, and Skype a lot more than I usually do.

For the first time ever I've ordered groceries etc online but first available delivery slot March 30th ... :rolleyes:

guilbert53

master brummie
For the first time ever I've ordered groceries etc online but first available delivery slot March 30th ... :rolleyes:
Make sure you also book some slots AFTER that date if you can before they go as well.

Just add various items to "reserve" the slot (even if you don't need the items) and then "tidy up" your selection the day before delivery.

I have 4 slots booked over the next 3 weeks with my online grocery company.

If anyone is getting an online delivery ask relatives and neighbours if you can order anything for them if the cant get essentials.

A Sparks

master brummie
I live in north east London, glad I'm now retired and don't have to travel to work!
So long as I'm able to have a walk out and food shop I'll be fine.

I'm very lucky to have two parks and the Woodbury Wetlands (reservoir with a nature centre) and the River Lea all within walking distance. Also plenty of local shops.

I will miss my Tai Chi classes but I have some DVDs and can practice at home.
I've loads of books and other DVDs I can watch.

Of course, I have plenty of little jobs I can do around my flat if I feel inclined ;) :laughing:

Stay safe everyone!

Pedrocut

Master Barmy
These testing times present a different set of problems to those of the Second World War. I have a 91 year old aunt who often speaks of the War Years. She was evacuated, but her father brought her home after a few weeks. They lived within a spit of Kynochs in Manor Road. The house next door took a hit while she was in the shelter, with collateral damage to the house, but luckily an empty house was available a few doors away.

She has a carer in the mornings, a social worker and a middle aged couple who do her shopping and stop for a chat a few times a week. The couple are away for a few of weeks and she has not been given any information of the situation. Yesterday she rang me up to ask why anyone over 80, who went outside the house would die.

I have explained, with difficulty, the situation. She will not be able to go to her friendship club, she will not be able to go to church, her friends will not be able to visit. I probably made a mistake by saying it must have been worse during the War Years, but she disagreed. She said she could play with her friends, her dad could get to the pub, she could visit someone who is sick and the street could easily help each other. “If it is as you say, then I might as well give up.”

I have no doubt that most who use this Forum will cope, but for some?

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Funny, I see the 'Keep Calm and Carry On' spirit in all these messages. At the moment I am still going to work and can continue at the Gym with my PT, but they have had to cease all mass classes. My wife has to head to the dentists today and hopes to walk there if the rain stays away, she also has two of her annual hypertension checks booked at the doctors, with the proviso that they could be cancelled. Her embroidery guild days have been cancelled, but she has sufficient unfinished works to keep her going and we have piles of books to be read. Her favourite occupation the garden has been untouched because of the rain, we have only had five days without rain since October. The worst bit is that it is her birthday on Saturday and I had booked a hotel in Gloucester with an evening meal on the docks and then a Sunday / mothers day, Carvery in the pub at Over, but much to my daughters annoyance I have decided to cancel all of this. My wife will still go out for her daily walks, but has decided against her regular swimming trips (three times a week). I am stymied by my hip problem, although I have got a date with the consultant mid April. But there is a consolation, the BHF will still be there every day and I know that if any member has problems, they will only need to mention it and help, sympathy, diagnosis will be forthcoming. Stay safe all of you.

Bob

Big Gee

master brummie
We're both retired, but share music as a hobby. We've run a singers club in Erdington for some years, but sadly this, and all other such clubs, are now suspended until further notice. So we're planning to get in as much guitar practise as the neighbours can stand, and learn some new numbers for 'tomorrow, when the world is free', as someone very famous once sang.

My other major hobby activity is model flying, and I spent the winter getting my gear ready for the new season. But not only is our flying-field still flooded and marshy, it's now highly unlikely that anyone will actually want to go flying. Although I believe that outdoor activities involving just a few people will still be permitted.

It won't last for ever.....

G