• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

These trying times - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
A ray of sunshine............

Its almost two weeks since my wife and I became ill. Not knowing who might have what we self isolated and have recovered at the same time. The only difference is my wife is full of energy and eating for England whereas I have no appetite and feel very lethargic. TV has become boring, despite being signed up to Netflix and Amazon Prime - I guess we are spoilt for choice but every film title I skim through holds no interest. How many plots can you have based on the cruelty of war, a cops revenge, drug heists and ex CIA agents coming out of retirement to save the world. There are also endless Zombie apocalypses generated by freak viruses - as if we aren't already in the middle of one! I like historical films but after a while they all follow a theme for blood lust. For a bit of normality I've being replaying old episodes of Time Team but I never seem to see the end as I invariably wake in the chair, slumped at a 45 degree angle. Yesterday I baked a coconut cake, made a corn beef stew, a rice pudding and a meatless tomato pasta. I just need to get my appetite back lol.

My wife had news that her Mom is unwell and being in a care home she can't visit and is naturally worried. Not having been out for almost two weeks there were one or two things we needed so to take her mind off things she decided to take the car to the local shops, leaving me home alone. When she returned she seemed rather elated but almost tearful, "Guess who I've just seen". I hate guessing games and knew that on such a short trip it wouldn't have been The Red Arrows and there was no way Elton John could have justified a trip to Morrison's at the Wheatsheaf so I asked her to just tell me straight. "Our Grandson" she replied. Pulling up on the shoppers car park she got a phone call from our son asking if there was anything we needed. He'd taken his daily walk to fit in with getting stuff they needed from the shops and was in M&S with our Grandson. My wife was parked outside. He said nothing to our Grandson but asked him to check the car park when they came out. He scanned the parking spaces and immediately spotted the car and started to jump up and down excitedly shouting "Its Nana's car, It's Nana's car". Not having seen him for three weeks my son was finding it hard to hold onto him. He doesn't really understand whats going on but does know about social distancing. My wife stayed in the car while he continued jabbering and jumping up and down. She explained his reaction as a bottle of pop with the cork popped! My son needed to go to another shop and agreed to leave him with my wife, but at a safe distance. She said he never shut up the whole time he was there, asking about his toys and his bedroom at our house and..... the trench he'd started to dig at the top of our garden a few weeks back. Concerned that I'd filled it in he asked my wife to send him a picture to prove it was still there! Of course, she took plenty of pics of him and a video of his exciting moment.

Its at times like this that you realise just how much you miss family and friends. To my wife and I this was a reminder as to why we should obey the restrictions on social mobility, no matter how hard it may seem, so that families and friendships are preserved for the future.

Take care and be safe!

View attachment 143768

what a lovely post apart from yourself and the wife not being well but i am so pleased that you are both on the mend now...dont worry the appetite will soon come back and most likely with a vengeance...so pleased that the wife got to see the little fella i bet that perked her up a lot...best wishes to you both...take care

lyn

mbenne

master brummie
Isn't shopping fun these days. Walked to my local co-op about 2 hundred yards, they had no milk or onions so drove to my local Sainsburys about 4 miles. The queue stretched for about 2 hundred yards so i drove to Tesco`s, about 8 miles & lo & behold the queue was even longer, so i drove to Lidl just about a mile away & whoopee no queue & they had everything i needed. Thank goodness it`s only once a week!
I've not visited any supermarkets for a while and have no Idea whether there are queues or shortages like our son has experienced in London. What we have found is that the local Spar is well stocked, including wine and beer. Whilst not as cheap as supermarkets I have a view as to why they don't suffer shortages. The supermarkets encourage car drivers and shopping is mostly done using shopping trollies. Its therefore easier to load up and drive away. The local shop has everything we need but the ability to shop is constrained by the size of the shopping basket and what you can physically carry home!!!

NoddKD

master brummie
Is that the one about folk that have died & gone to the good place (heaven ) Watched the first episode & i thought what rubbish. Maybe it got better after a few episodes, couldn`t have gotten worse!
I did say it was bizarre;):)

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I've not visited any supermarkets for a while and have no Idea whether there are queues or shortages like our son has experienced in London. What we have found is that the local Spar is well stocked, including wine and beer. Whilst not as cheap as supermarkets I have a view as to why they don't suffer shortages. The supermarkets encourage car drivers and shopping is mostly done using shopping trollies. Its therefore easier to load up and drive away. The local shop has everything we need but the ability to shop is constrained by the size of the shopping basket and what you can physically carry home!!!
I've been shopping locally too mbenne. I've saved all the receipts and intend to sit down and see how much more things are. I don't tend to impulse buy locally so I will take this into consideration too. I hate supermarkets and would love not to have to go so it will be very interesting.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I went for a walk with the flea breeder this morning. as the sun was rising,everything looked red, the hedges. road. trees. with the reflection of the sky. so weird it was like war of the worlds.

Attachments

• red sky.jpg
    red sky.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

tim eborn

master brummie
I watched my dad waste his retirement. So, determine not to do the same I got a dog, now on my second and also built the biggest workshop I could fit in the garden.

I have been making a couple of hand made desktop organisers. They will end up as gifts for the family.
Well look at your dovetails ! I have a brother- in- law who is an embarrassment to me. He was rescued from a delinquent youth by getting into timber and it became his passion.
My wife is his favourite sister and we have been gifted many of his works over the years.
Keep up the good works as they can get you through these worst of times. Cheers Tim

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lady P , I love your Easter tree. There used a be a man in Coleshill who decorated his front window with daffodils when Spring came, egg decorations at Easter, Halloween ghosts, Tennis raquets and balls for Wimbledon, and Christmas tree later.

jmadone

master brummie
Further to my post #549 the National Theatre's free programme is as follows...
Thursday 9 April, Jane Eyre by Sally Cookson will be available to watch followed by Treasure Island by Bryony Lavery on Thursday 16 April and William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night on Thursday 23 April.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
H Alberta, I'm afraid we're just like that man. We celebrate everything - Chinese New Year & Diwali included! We tried Sakura, the Japanese blossom festival, last year but the takeaway was quite disappointing. I'm posting pictures of my efforts this year for Easter.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Lyn, as promised here are my trees - sorry for the delay - I had a technical hitch in that, for the first time ever, I decided to put lights on the trees. The white tree is new and I don't like shape so may have to fiddle with it. Anyway, the first set of lights I put on had green wires but by the time I decided they didn't look right I'd put on the ornaments so getting them off was very fiddly. I then had to ransack the shed to find these tiny lights in the Christmas boxes.
Tree 1.jpg

Tree number 2 is in the porch, also with lights, please note the tasteless, solar powered chick. Love it!! It wobbles, hence the reason it's in the porch.

Tree 2.jpg

superdad3

master brummie
The crisis is bringing out the best in many people. We are trying to follow the gov. guidance as far as we can - we're old and not in the best of health. Some lovely offers of help from neighbours. Sad to read that our MP [Hall Green] has been warned by the police for breaking the gov restrictions. Not good for a new MP. Hope Sir Keir S. sorts him out.

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
Last week my 83 year old sister Joan, who lives in Pedmore, Hagley, but lived in Yardley like me for many years, was in hospital for a shoulder operation, then she was tested, in the hospital for been positive for the virus, is now doing fine, no symptoms and they are going to move her into a nursing home. Great news for all of our family.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Lyn, as promised here are my trees - sorry for the delay - I had a technical hitch in that, for the first time ever, I decided to put lights on the trees. The white tree is new and I don't like shape so may have to fiddle with it. Anyway, the first set of lights I put on had green wires but by the time I decided they didn't look right I'd put on the ornaments so getting them off was very fiddly. I then had to ransack the shed to find these tiny lights in the Christmas boxes.
View attachment 143801

Tree number 2 is in the porch, also with lights, please note the tasteless, solar powered chick. Love it!! It wobbles, hence the reason it's in the porch.

View attachment 143802

oh they are so pretty pen...well done you...i have never thought of making an easter tree...

lyn x

Status
Not open for further replies.